Painting plastic

9 replies to this topic
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 18, 2006 - 12:55 PM

I nned to know what paint I need and flex agent so I can paint all my stock plastic, and me Acerbis fenders on my XR600R. Please do not respond with any ratttle can advice as I allready tried that and am not happy with the results...yeah Im anal! Anyway, black and shiny is the color or lack thereof, so keeping that in mind, hook a brotha up! Oh this is for my Supermoto streettard.

Thanks!

Sniper X

• cleonard

Posted July 18, 2006 - 01:26 PM

I've never seen any plastic paint that I liked, but here it goes...

You did try the "rattle can" paint that is specifically made for plastic (ie. Krylon Fusion), right? Yes, I know it sucks.

Since cars are now made with plastics there are flexible car paints that will adhere the plastic. You need to know what kind of plastic you are trying to paint. There are specific paints for each type of plastic. An auto parts place, that carries body work supplies, should be able to get you what you need.

• J_T

Posted July 18, 2006 - 09:26 PM

They started making black plastic for the XR650R I have seen...If they don't for the XR600 would any of it be albe to be converted for your application?

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 19, 2006 - 02:19 PM

They started making black plastic for the XR650R I have seen...If they don't for the XR600 would any of it be albe to be converted for your application?

Unfortunately the finish on ALL black plastic is lame compared to what was on my MZ. It had, get this, bright ass green, ala Kawasaki Acerbis plastic, painted VERY glossy black on it STOCK. The finish was KILLER! It looked beautiful. I also know it was painted, and originally bright ass green because it got a tiny scratch in it and ws bright ass green underneath, and the other coloure available as you got it! Bright ass green! Id love to find out what paint they used.

• adam574

Posted July 19, 2006 - 09:39 PM

not sure how much this wil help but i know a couple guys and have seen a couple others who have painted there bike and quad plastics with the bed liner stuff. that stuff is kind of a ruber base and has flex to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kenaroo

Posted July 20, 2006 - 05:04 AM

http://www.4strokes....lastic_restore/

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 20, 2006 - 12:47 PM

http://www.4strokes....lastic_restore/

Great link!

• Supplicate

Posted July 20, 2006 - 01:25 PM

cheap = Krylon Fusion

good = priming with plastic prep then using Krylon Fusion

Better = Priming with plastic prep, using autobody paint, and finishing with clear coat.

Best = taking to an autobody place that does good plastic work and having them paint it for you.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 20, 2006 - 02:48 PM

cheap = Krylon Fusion

good = priming with plastic prep then using Krylon Fusion

Better = Priming with plastic prep, using autobody paint, and finishing with clear coat.

Best = taking to an autobody place that does good plastic work and having them paint it for you.

Funny you should mention the "best" routine, I just checked out that route, and for the money I could take it to a pro painter and drop it off, then just pick it up Id have into materials. Literally, it is going to cost me more to do it myself! SO, decision made....taking the fenders and side covers to a painter!

• Supplicate

Posted July 20, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Literally, it is going to cost me more to do it myself!

why do you think I mentioned it :thumbsup:

Live and learn and pass on the knowledge to others. Often times its best to let the people that know what they are doing do it.

I'm still kicking myself in the ass for painting my own snowmobile hood. Now its going to cost even more to have it fixed, not to mention the cost of all the wasted materials blah blah blah. Way cheaper to just have it done right the first time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.