Suspension question

9 replies to this topic
  • das_sey

Posted July 18, 2006 - 06:21 AM

Hi,

I have an 03 WR450 and have put a stiffer spring on the rear about 6 months ago. I set the sage to proper setting. The rear seems to have alot of kickback going over whoops and such, not sure what setting to adjust and where. Other than that seems to be dialed in pretty well.

I am 6'2, 270lb.

Thanks for your help,

• OneToGo

Posted July 18, 2006 - 07:28 AM

All I know is a stiffer spring requires more damping. Heavier riders will compress the suspension and the rebound needs to be effectively damped otherwise the back will kick over a single jump/mound. On the other hand, too much rebound does not allow the spring to extend so frequent bumbs (whoops) can cause the suspension to "pack" down. if you have the right spring you may be able to lessen the kick but at your weight you will be close to needing a revalve as most bikes are setup for roughly 160 to 220 lb riders (just a stab). I would try upping the redound a bit at a time. I understand the compression circuit also affects rebound so this may have some influence. just do one at a time, ride and check.

Have you posted in the suspension forum? You might get more input there.
:thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted July 18, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Increase Rebound Adjustment. The manual may have a tuning section at the back read this before adjusting then read it again before your next ride and make adjustments during your next ride.

• minion

Posted July 18, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

I have an 03 WR450 and have put a stiffer spring on the rear about 6 months ago. I set the sage to proper setting. The rear seems to have alot of kickback going over whoops and such, not sure what setting to adjust and where. Other than that seems to be dialed in pretty well.

I am 6'2, 270lb.

Thanks for your help,

You didn't put too heavy of a spring on, did you? That can cause problems too, as mentioned by one poster already.

Go to racetech's site, and use their spring calculator. You can select the bike model and year, your type of riding (motocross, enduro), and your weight, and it'll tell you what the spring rate should be.

If you have too heavy of a spring, it'll be difficult to get your suspension to function correctly.

M.

• jerryls

Posted July 18, 2006 - 08:35 PM

I ran into the same thing when I put on a stiffer spring. Even after cranking the rebound adjuster all the way in, I was still getting the pogo stick effect out back.

My understanding is that a stiffer spring simply overpowers the stock valving. I got a revalve done and all is good. Worth every cent.

Jerry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • das_sey

Posted July 19, 2006 - 10:42 AM

Thanks to all for you help. I will try increasing the rebound. I had a suspension tech spec out the spring so feel pretty good about that. Can I ask where you change the rebound. Sorry for the basic question, have never really understood the whole suspension thing.

Thanks,

• GCannon

Posted July 19, 2006 - 10:48 AM

:thumbsup: You better buy the suspension tech a 12 pack because you and he are going to become friends. :ride:

• ckulzer

Posted July 19, 2006 - 01:14 PM

I ran into a similar situation when I put a 5.8 on my '03. Adding high speed compression helped me out. The rear was blowing through the travel too fast. More HS keeps the rear up and that, with a little more rebound got me dialed in.

Keep trying..... not everyone on this forum believes that a JD kit and a re-valve are the answer to everything.

Chad

• jerryls

Posted July 19, 2006 - 08:32 PM

Can I ask where you change the rebound.

It's located at the bottom of the shock, where it attaches to the linkage. Turning the screw clockwise will slow down the rebound. Try going in two clicks at a time (each click is approx 1/4 turn) until the rear stops kicking up. If its still kicking after you've turned the screw all the way in, you need a revalve.

Jerry

• Beejay

Posted July 22, 2006 - 06:45 AM

If it's kicking you in the butt you need less rebound, in other words weaker rebound.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.