yz400 exhaust

4 replies to this topic
  • burto644

Posted July 18, 2006 - 01:39 AM

i have a 98 yz400. does it do any damage to the bike running the exhaust with no muffler packing, or does it simply make the bike quieter. cheers sam

• theclone

Posted July 18, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Yes, running the bike with no packing is very harmful. It reduces backpressure which the muffler bearings need to operate properly. Once the muffler bearings are shot, you might as well buy a new bike because they are so expensive to replace.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jimbob69

Posted July 18, 2006 - 07:52 PM

I don't think it will do harm, but it will be louder and sound horrible. Pack it, help keep our trails open. Your bike will also run smoother and crisper and u might get a little bottom end back.

Pack it, period.

~jim~

• burto644

Posted July 18, 2006 - 10:45 PM

looks like im packing my exhaust. thanks guys

• One Louder

Posted July 19, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Repacking my Big Gun muffler did affect how the bike ran in a positive way, not to mention the noise factor. A well packed muffler make the bike sound mean :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.