Getting graphics adhesive off of plastics??

11 replies to this topic
  • AdrenoJunky

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:46 PM

I recently ripped off the pre-printed backgrounds off the side # plates on my YZ250. They were very difficult to remove, and now I'm left with a bunch of nasty clear goo stuck to the plastic. I've tried Decal Works graphics adhesive remover, carb cleaner, Goof Off, and engine degreaser. All any of these did was make the stuff gooier and harder to remove... Anyone have any secret remedy to this prob?? Really annoying....

• ClutchSmoke

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:10 PM

The right way to remove stickers from plastic surfaces is... Pull them off very slowly while heating with a heat gun, just hot enough so the plastic isn't damaged. That way, most of the time 98% of the glue comes off with the sticker. The remaining 2% can then be removed with another tacky piece of sticker by pressing it onto the remaining glue and yanking it off while heating.

Since you already pulled off the stickers, you are stuck. If you let the glue get dirty it will be very difficult to remove, so you could try heating the glue in sections, affixing a piece of strong packing tape, and then pulling it off. (Basically accomplishing close to the same results as pulling the original stickers off while heated.) BTW, be careful around the gas tank, like drain out the gas before heating unless you like to live dangerously.

Most traditional solvents strong enough to take off the glue, are also going to weaken, discolor, or melt the plastics. Laquer thinner is an excellent solvent for removal of adhesives, but it WILL melt most plastics, and has a very low flash point, so it should definately be used carefully and outdoors.

Can't guarantee anything, but a company called Kapco makes a solvent for removing decals from signage and fleet vehicles called Oil Flo. I'm pretty sure it would work on the plastic, but you will have to spot test it first to be sure.
www.kapco.com
Oil Flo

• raven-9

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:10 PM

eucoliptus (spelling) oil ,works best but im not sure if you guys would get it over in the US it's from an aussie tree! nail polish remover works aswell

• ClutchSmoke

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

Nail polish remover is just glorified acetone.

Acetone is used in the production of plastics, and therefore will melt most plastics. If it doesn't discolor the plastic, then it will probably weaken it, maybe enough that it cracks and eventually falls off on the track.

• oldschool mx

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:40 AM

Soak a rag in petrol rub it into the glue it will break down the adhesive then when it goes gooey rub it off with a dry rag.
Best doing small areas at a time.
Read this in an MX mag years ago and been using it ever since, it's cheap and works a treat.
Once the plastic is dry you can put on new backings without any problems.

• MXof21

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:58 AM

WD-40 works pretty good to help soften the goo.

• 1996 cr125

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:09 AM

furniture polish is legendary at getting it off.

• oldschool mx

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:41 AM

I used to use WD40 for this but the problem is that it leaves the surface greasy and nothing will stick until it has all been moved.
Petrol evaporates, leaves the surface clean and ready to be recovered.

• raven-9

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:10 AM

Nail polish remover is just glorified acetone.

Acetone is used in the production of plastics, and therefore will melt most plastics. If it doesn't discolor the plastic, then it will probably weaken it, maybe enough that it cracks and eventually falls off on the track.

well that glorified stuff has worked for me and , ive lost no plastics on tracks or enduros. but hey each to their own.....thats why this is a forum... i recomend my first option for best results

• Dirtrider316

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:37 AM

Its a really sucky job, i hate doing it, and its so messy. I used mineral spirits, actetone, wd40. I tried all kinds of products and none of them work very good. I will try the heat gun next like someone mentioned.

• revitup

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:04 AM

I used this with success. Goo Gone

http://www.magicamer...oducts_gg.shtml

Let it sit on for a couple of minutes, work it, the repeat process.

• ben_suhard

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:17 AM

Soak a rag in petrol rub it into the glue it will break down the adhesive then when it goes gooey rub it off with a dry rag.
Best doing small areas at a time.
Read this in an MX mag years ago and been using it ever since, it's cheap and works a treat.
Once the plastic is dry you can put on new backings without any problems.

Yep, good old petrol/gas is the go, it works great, and you've always got some close at hand considering your bike runs on the stuff! There's no hassle of running to the shops to get some.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Gold valves and shims by Dan Paull

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

A father following his son's PW50 by DirtDevilDad

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

1986 honda xr250r rebuild! by Dirt-Mink

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2013 kx250 gold valves by Dan Paull

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX250F
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

are 2000 -2003 yz 125 cylinders then same? by dawson1120

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.