Starter No Worky On My WR

7 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:00 PM

I've got an '05 WR 450 and I cannot get the starter to do anything. A month ago I was out riding and when I would hit the starter button it seemed like the battery was going dead. I ended up replacing the battery and my bike started right up. I went on a ride a couple of weeks ago and when I hit the starter button, nada-zip-zilch. I got the bike started just fine with the kick starter but it never would do anything when I hit the starter button. I've got a new battery in it, I've checked the fuses and they're good, I replaced the starter button and while I was at it replaced the kill switch. I'm pretty retarded at checking things like relays, etc. so I haven't looked at anything like that. I was told by another WR owner that it's most likely the starter itself since his was doing the same thing. Any words of wisdom before I plunk down big dollars for a new starter?

• RichBaker

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Make sure the charging circuit is working, should be ~14-14.5volts at the battery terminals when you rev it past 2500 rpms...if it's staying at 12 or less, it's not charging. There have been reports of bad starters out there, but it's more likely the rectifier/regulator...

• Seabass

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:14 PM

I've checked to see if the battery was charging when I first had this problem. It's getting 14 volts to the battery while the rpm's are up.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Starter is most likely the issue. Contacts on the motor brushes get dirty and grime on them. Try taking the motor apart and cleaning it. You may have to solder the brush wire connections. PM TT member Simon@Vic he had pics and experience rebuiding the starter motor. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StreetbikePimp

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Does the starter work sometimes, or never now? Do you get clicking noises?

If you hit the starter button, and nothing happens even after a fully charged battery, then something is wrong with the wiring. Either you blew a fuse, got a bad relay, hooked the starter or the kill switch up backwards....

If the bike starts right up after a fully charged battery, then I would assume that everything is fine. IMO, the starter and battery are too weak for the size of the motor. In the interest of saving weight, I think Yamaha errored on the poor side of these parts performance and reliability. Just my .02

• Seabass

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Indy!! You da man.

• Seabass

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:38 PM

Does the starter work sometimes, or never now? Do you get clicking noises?

If you hit the starter button, and nothing happens even after a fully charged battery, then something is wrong with the wiring. Either you blew a fuse, got a bad relay, hooked the starter or the kill switch up backwards....

If the bike starts right up after a fully charged battery, then I would assume that everything is fine. IMO, the starter and battery are too weak for the size of the motor. In the interest of saving weight, I think Yamaha errored on the poor side of these parts performance and reliability. Just my .02

Nothing happens when I hit the starter button. I've checked the fuses (A-OK)and there is only one way to connect the starter/ kill switches. I thought about the relay but I'm not to keen on checking electrical parts.

I just checked the rectifier/ regulator and I'm getting 14.45 volts to the battery while the bike is running so low battery voltage isn't a problem.

• RichBaker

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Open the starter up and solder the cheap crimped connections...prob'ly the problem.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.