off road tires on road - anyone get a ticket?

29 replies to this topic
  • pigryder

Posted July 19, 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hey guys just got the L inspected tonight and she passed with a dunlop 752 on the front and a maxxis IT on the rear :ride: good to go baby yeh :thumbsup: :ride: oh and it cost me $12.72 including sticker :cry: :ride:

• don87xr600

Posted July 19, 2006 - 04:07 PM

Just keep in mind (at least in CA) that all municipal police officers including CHP are empowered by the "State of California". Meaning, no matter where you see them (within CA), any police officer from ANY jurisdiction can give you a ticket (there are a few exceptions). Just because that cop car you see is from Los Angeles and you are in San Francisco, be aware he can still tag you.

True but it's a money loser for a Los angeles police officer to appear in a San Francisco court.

• Motosprtman

Posted July 20, 2006 - 10:47 AM

I run the DOT legal Dunlop 606's on my 650L - cops hate it, they really scrutinize anything that resembles a dirt bike on Whidbey Island in Washington state - they are all about tourism - and keeping the Harley riders happy...

I'm a local guy, law abiding 51 year old on a XR650L who goes to the store for something on the 650L and gets the squint from the Coupeville city cops, Island county sheriff or Washington State Patrol - damn dirt biker... until they see that tax paying up to date license plate - then they are happy! I have even had em do a 360 on the highway just to zoom up on me and then realize it is a dual sport with a plate.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 20, 2006 - 11:23 AM

I run the DOT legal Dunlop 606's on my 650L - cops hate it, they really scrutinize anything that resembles a dirt bike on Whidbey Island in Washington state - they are all about tourism - and keeping the Harley riders happy...

I'm a local guy, law abiding 51 year old on a XR650L who goes to the store for something on the 650L and gets the squint from the Coupeville city cops, Island county sheriff or Washington State Patrol - damn dirt biker... until they see that tax paying up to date license plate - then they are happy! I have even had em do a 360 on the highway just to zoom up on me and then realize it is a dual sport with a plate.

Hey! My best Army buddy was from Whidby, his name was Devlin Crose, he would be about 45 or so years old now....know him or his family?

• Motosprtman

Posted July 20, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Nope can't say I do....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coffee

Posted July 20, 2006 - 12:55 PM

I have even had em do a 360 on the highway just to zoom up on me and then realize it is a dual sport with a plate.

So they actually stooped down and verified DOT on the D606's?

• chrisboyd

Posted July 21, 2006 - 08:50 AM

I've been wondering, what are the best tires to put on my XR650L if I'm going to be doing mostly highway riding, but still want to be able to be fine on the occasional dirt road? I have the stock knobby tires on right now, but they're worn and I already slipped once with them and dropped the bike.

• cleonard

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:17 AM

The way I read this is that you have DOT tires. The cops "scrutinize anything that resembles a dirt bike on Whidbey Island." When they see the valid plate they loose interest.

My question is, have the cops ever actually looked at your tires? I run dirt knobbies, and I have had the same experience. The cops loose interest when they see the plate. It never gets to the point that they are checking tires.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:36 AM

I have been pulled over a few times by curious cops, not once was i actually doing anything wrong. Mostly they just wanted to see my papers, never had one really check out the tires. Most are shocked when i take off my helmet & they find out i am not some 16yr old kid.

• Mudshark

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I've run the stock desert Dunlops and well as 606's on my DS'ed XR650R.
I have been questioned about the bike twice by the local law, both times
just to find out "how my ass holds up on a long trip" and "hows the gas mileage" They never even looked at the tires but did ask how long they lasted
"on road" and how much they cost to replace. I guess if you look like and
behave like a law abiding citizen theyre pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.