Trailtech Disappointment

20 replies to this topic
  • Canuck

Posted July 17, 2006 - 09:27 AM

Currently using a trailtech mounted with their protective guard on pro tapers. Protective mount bolt holes needed modification to fit as made for regular width bars. The decreased tensile strength from boring out the holes caused the mount to break after a collision. Jeff from trailtech has verified they do not and will not make a mount compatible for bigger bars....go figure

• GCannon

Posted July 17, 2006 - 09:55 AM

Sounds like you will need to fabricate your own mount. What triple clamp do you have? Are you handy with tools? Let us know so we can offer specific help.

• Canuck

Posted July 18, 2006 - 08:11 AM

gcannon:

bored out the holes to fit BRP triple clamps/doug henry bend bars. will reinforce with a weld. appreciate the offer for assistance. just wanted to share the experience dealing with manufacturer. their unwillingness to service the pro-taper market baffles...

• GCannon

Posted July 18, 2006 - 10:45 AM

I have BRP top clamp with Scots sub mount and pro tapers. I actually drilled and threaded a 4mm hole in the front of the triple clamp 1 inch to the right of center. now i have a good two hole mounting on the front of the triple clamp. I don't understand why BRP thinks you could mount anything to that clamp using a bracket with one screw in the center. Anyway you could use an aluminum angle mounted to the front of the triple clamp to hold your Trail tech bracket this also puts it down behind the number plate visibility is good handlebar area is clear and protection is much better.
Good Luck.

• Premo

Posted July 19, 2006 - 02:41 AM

Currently using a trailtech mounted with their protective guard on pro tapers. Protective mount bolt holes needed modification to fit as made for regular width bars. The decreased tensile strength from boring out the holes caused the mount to break after a collision. Jeff from trailtech has verified they do not and will not make a mount compatible for bigger bars....go figure

That does sound like they couldn't be bothered and already sell enough.
That is dissapointing seeing as there is definately a market for that protection stuff.

I was thinking about how to mount mine, I had a look at the guard, glad I didn't go with it now!

Thanks for the heads up.

• sheriffwoody

Posted July 19, 2006 - 06:48 AM

Great, I ordered my mounting bracket for my Trailtech last week from TT. I have a brp sub and cr-hi. When I ordered it I hadnt read anything that it wouldnt fit a fat bar mount. I am sure to complain to trailtech manufacturer after I receive the mount and it wont fit. What is the 'angle mount' CGannon was talking about? A piece of angle aluminum mouted to the front of the tripple clamp???? :thumbsup:

• hartzpad

Posted July 19, 2006 - 07:20 AM

My Trailtech Vapor came with both a standard diameter mount for Renthal and stock type bars as well as a mount for larger diameter Pro Taper style bars.

• redswr

Posted July 19, 2006 - 10:52 AM

My Trailtech Vapor came with both a standard diameter mount for Renthal and stock type bars as well as a mount for larger diameter Pro Taper style bars.

yeah mine too but the mount wasn't long enough and the comuter hits the bar clamps. i'll probably make my own

• jerryls

Posted July 19, 2006 - 08:42 PM

Great, I ordered my mounting bracket for my Trailtech last week from TT. I have a brp sub and cr-hi. When I ordered it I hadnt read anything that it wouldnt fit a fat bar mount. I am sure to complain to trailtech manufacturer after I receive the mount and it wont fit. What is the 'angle mount' CGannon was talking about? A piece of angle aluminum mouted to the front of the tripple clamp???? :thumbsup:

Same setup here. Using a Dremel and a file, I modified the mount so it would fit. Haven't had any problems (and I do crash quite a bit).

Jerry

• GCannon

Posted July 20, 2006 - 08:44 AM

I fabricated my own mount in the same location as the stock odometer was. In an attempt to keep the handle bars clear ( too much stuff on them already). When I went to the BRP triple clamp I lost the stock mounting position on the triple clamp. Sorry I don't have any Pics. The mounting position is great good visability and goo protection. Which is probably why the stock odometer is mounted there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TrailTech

Posted July 22, 2006 - 02:54 PM

For our new computer line, we have 5 different billet mounts. The latest one will mount to the plate your stock odometer is/was on. For popular bikes like the WR, we will make sure our computers will mount.

• Premo

Posted July 22, 2006 - 08:40 PM

For popular bikes like the WR, we will make sure our computers will mount.

:thumbsup: Shouldn't that be for all bikes?

• TrailTech

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:03 PM

Premo,

No matter how hard we work, someone will find an application we cannot mount to. Typically, this would be some highly modified or home made machine.

For past units, we only made two protectors. Now we have five, the goal is every bike but we may never make it.

• Premo

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:34 PM

Premo,

No matter how hard we work, someone will find an application we cannot mount to. Typically, this would be some highly modified or home made machine.

For past units, we only made two protectors. Now we have five, the goal is every bike but we may never make it.

Yeah, I know.....
props for the best aftermarket speedo/computer anyway! :thumbsup:

• 06WR450FSM

Posted July 24, 2006 - 10:34 AM

I have a new Vapor for my 2006. The plastic bar mounts were too short for the computer to clear the crossbar pads, and are far too flimsy and fragile (I am actually thinking of much less kind words).

I made my own using aluminum sheet mounted into the stock Yamaha computer location.

TrailTech: As nice of overall package as the Vapor is, it deserves a few more pennies spent on a longer, beefier bar mount, even if it is still plastic. Also, the ambient temperaure gauge has too long of time contant and reads 10-20 degrees too high, even on fully overcast days. Oh yeah - please relocate the water temp onto Screen#1!

• TrailTech

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:48 AM

06WR450FSM

I understand the bar clamp included in the kit is not the best option. Actually, it is not fragile, we have never seen a broken one. Your correct that it it not stiff. If it were much stiffer, it would break on install going over the bars.

We expect to make and adapter that will allow stock odometer replacement. If you get the billet guard for stock odometer replacement, it will take care of the problem.

The ambient temperature should be spot on. Check it when the unit is not in full sun and the motor is off/cool. The sensor is thermally connected to the studs on the back case. If there is heat from the motor rising below the computer, it will throw the temperature off. The idea is when your riding and have good airflow over the bottom of the computer, it will read accurately.

• GCannon

Posted July 26, 2006 - 04:23 PM

I must admit I am impressed to see a company (who's products are widely used on this forum) with enough balls (and brains) to bring customer service (tech support) directly to its customers after the point of purchase.

Just so you know I love my Endurance it performs great even after going through the washing machine in my jacket pocket. Still on my first battery. Clean the terminals occasionally (at Indy's suggestion) no problem.

Lot of good technical information on this forum from knowledgeable product users and abusers who like to share both good and bad. I guess you already know this.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:20 PM

The ambient temperature should be spot on. Check it when the unit is not in full sun and the motor is off/cool. The sensor is thermally connected to the studs on the back case. If there is heat from the motor rising below the computer, it will throw the temperature off. The idea is when your riding and have good airflow over the bottom of the computer, it will read accurately.

Thanks for the explanation of where the ambient sensor is located :thumbsup: The top of my Vapor is about flush with the top of the number plate, so air doesn't flow well under the computer. I'll ccontinue to evaluate the situation now that I am armed with this information.

The water temperature is why EVERYONE should have a Vapor (marketing tip + our bikes don't have a thermostat). Thanks to the Vapor, I found out that my water temp on the highway (I have separate supermoto and dirt setups) is only 60F above ambient! A 140F operating temp means the oil is significantly thicker than it should be. Thank God I am not running a xxW-50 oil. I now block off part of the radiators for street use.

Anyway, the Vapor's water temp sensor and RPM graph/gauge are fantastic features!!!! :ride:

• TrailTech

Posted July 27, 2006 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the nice feedback.

Keep us posted with your likes and and dis-likes. We promise to work on features commonly asked for.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:40 PM

Hey Trailtech. Just thought I would throw another compliment your way. I have the endurace and aluminum mount for my YZ400. it has worked perfectly since I got it. Even when I did have a problem and e-mailed you about it you took care of it no problem or cost. Cant beat that. You guys have great customer service.

Now I am trying to scrounge up the $ to get my CRFx stator rewound and a HID headlight. You guys are 1st on my list for this if I ever get the spare $.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.