Using high beam full time on 650r

8 replies to this topic
  • Fordskin

Posted July 17, 2006 - 03:17 AM

For night riding I have set my high beam to shine where low beam would normally shine to account for the fact that low beam is useless. So now i just use the brighter high beam full time at night. Low beam is still seen by others on the road in the day time. Probably a dumb question but would this be stressing the electrics on the bike. :thumbsup:

• loufish

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:38 PM

No....The stator is made to run the hi-beam, don't worry about it.
In future postings you might want to address your bike as a XL as not to possibly confuse others into answering questions thinking you have the XR650R. :thumbsup:

• don87xr600

Posted July 17, 2006 - 09:12 PM

I bet he does have a 650r, he's from Australia.

• J_T

Posted July 17, 2006 - 10:13 PM

Just a side note...I just finished the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course for road bikes and they recommend using the highbeams during the day to increase visibility b/c it wouldn't blind anyone during the day anyway. That way you could just use highbeams all the time :-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted July 18, 2006 - 03:13 AM

I have no idea why Loufish thinks i ride an XL. Wouldn't be seen dead riding one.

• pburke

Posted July 18, 2006 - 04:51 AM

Just a side note...I just finished the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course for road bikes and they recommend using the highbeams during the day to increase visibility b/c it wouldn't blind anyone during the day anyway. That way you could just use highbeams all the time :-)

I took that course a week ago as well, and followed up with the instructor on this issue, because back in the 1980s, when I rode with high-beam on during a sunny day, a driving instructor in a car stopped in front of me exited the vehicle and yelled at me for blinding his student, yada yada yada. This was in Germany, and the instructors there know the rules, so I took tha as a clear "not allowed" and never bothered using hi beam during the day again.

So last week I asked the MSF guy what he thought about that and he said the use of high beam during the day is legal here in WI "as long as you use it like you'd use it at night" - i.e. if you are close behind somebody or meet oncoming traffic, you are supposed to go to low beam just like you'd do at night. He also showed us his cool pulsating high beam system on his personal bike - probably not great for the life of the bulb, but it does call attention to the bike. He said he had to carry the printout that states the legality of the system with him, because LEOs keep stopping him for it...

Peter

• J_T

Posted July 18, 2006 - 05:57 AM

So last week I asked the MSF guy what he thought about that and he said the use of high beam during the day is legal here in WI "as long as you use it like you'd use it at night" - i.e. if you are close behind somebody or meet oncoming traffic, you are supposed to go to low beam just like you'd do at night.

That is a good point...now that you mention it there are things like stopping and the hi beam directly in a rearview mirror to consider. If I decide to use the hi-beam in the day I will monitor it like during the night.

Thanks
JT

• don87xr600

Posted July 18, 2006 - 07:23 AM

I have no idea why Loufish thinks i ride an XL. Wouldn't be seen dead riding one.

Because 650r's in the USA don't come with a highbeam.

• loufish

Posted July 18, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Sorry mate....my bad :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.