HELP!!! WR426 Sump plug is here to stay.

7 replies to this topic
  • zookie

Posted July 17, 2006 - 01:18 AM

Greetings folks, long time lurker first time poster...
I'm having a hell of a time getting my sump plug out of my 426. I've searched and read the relevant forums that I could find with no luck, so I'm hoping someone out there has some brilliant (or any) ideas!

I was changing the oil as usual, 2 weeks after the last change. I removed the frame plug and drained the majority of the oil, then went for the sump plug.

First of all, the hex rounded very quickly when trying to get it out, which I thought was unusual since I am always wary of over tightening. After my usual ratchet and socket I try a shifter, spanner, smaller size spanner and tried to belt it in with a hammer, vice grips - all with no luck. Plug is now looking a little second hand.

So I went to the local and bought a replacement plug and washer, the right size screw extractor and started to drill it out - usually the last resort, and the process guaranteed to work

Trying to be careful of over drilling the plug, I put the extractor in and started turning anti clockwise as per usual. Then my extractor snaps clean off, with a big chunk stuck in the plug! &%$#@! do I do now? I pulled out the grinder and carefully squared the plug off to attack again with shifter, vices etc...

No luck.

So off I go and buy a larger extractor and start the process again. Now I have destroyed this damn plug, and have no idea of how to get it out. Nothing I have tried has worked and I'm now worried that I've accidentally drilled into the sump thread itself when drilling at odd angles...

My bike is slowly dripping oil out of the plug. I've obviously drilled too deeply or in the wrong direction.

I need some opinions on how to proceed - any and all advice is appreciated!

• waynus

Posted July 17, 2006 - 01:58 AM

First thing Zookie, in future you will probably find that single hex sockets work better than the twelve edged variety. A sharp tap is always better than a gradual application of force.

Have you tried a screwdriver on the edge of the nut with a good smack of the hammer?

If this doesn't work, you could try welding something such as a bolt lengthwise onto it. Could be that the heat and the leverage combined will be sufficient to loosen it . Even if you have damaged the thread, as long aas the new bolt screws in tight, it should be fine.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Wayne

• Premo

Posted July 17, 2006 - 02:46 AM

My god! I always put graphite anti-seize on every bolt.
I suggest you do the same!

How tight do you do up your bolts?

• zookie

Posted July 17, 2006 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for the replies guys
I don't actually do my bolts up that tight - generally firmly tight with a spanner - I've learned the hard way previously! The graphite sounds like a good idea regardless though.

Thanks Wayne - the screwdriver sounds like a good last ditch effort on my own - if no go, then I think welding a nut or bolt onto it may be my only choice (I've got a feeling this is what I'll be doing).

Any idea where I could go to get this done? Will car/bike mechanics generally be able to do this (I'm dubious), or will I have to hunt down an engineering or fabricating business.

Or should I pull off the skirt, go buy a cheapy and do it myself? Is it hard/expensive?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Premo

Posted July 17, 2006 - 04:44 AM

Anyone with a welder should be able to tack on a bolt for you, just cruize around the industrial area of your town for someone to do it for free. 10 sec job.

I am guessing the tight confines isn't helping much either! Good luck!

• waynus

Posted July 17, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Welding is handy to learn but I wouldn't be using your bike as the dummy. A sheetmetal shop , muffler shop, panel beater, engineering shop, but maybe not a mechanics, you take pot luck as to whether they can weld properly or not. I,m thinking someone with a TIG although a mig would do it as well. Give the screwdriver a go first tho', one of those ones with the steel going all the way through.

:thumbsup:

• mudie426

Posted July 17, 2006 - 03:09 PM

hit the plug directally on the head with a hammer as belive it or not the bolt will react with shock then hit it off with a screwdriver or hammer on the edge then go and buy a bmw sump plug from a car dealer and these are better quality u should have no further problems lol

• zookie

Posted July 18, 2006 - 02:33 AM

Thanks everyone for their help and advice.

I went to my local mechanic who looked, laughed, then grabbed an air compressor chisel - bolt was off within 10 seconds.

The relief is indescribable - besides feeling like a complete dumbass, it was a better solution than I had hoped for! The screwdriver or chisel with a smack of the hammer was the correct solution for this after all - apparently there is some concern over warping the case with welding - maybe if the welder wasnt very good (?), but this is beyond my expertise...

It's a happy ending after all, and thanks again for the help

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.