Anyone replaced front brake line?

10 replies to this topic
  • Premo

Posted July 16, 2006 - 11:47 PM

I have a wr450 and the front brake line I feel is not up to the task.

I have a friends OEM YZ450 front brake line sitting in the shed, I haven't put it on yet.

I have got braking brake pads in the calipers at the moment, seems like a good improvement over stock, but brakes still fade a bit after a while, so I think the brake line is the culprit.

Anyway, looking to go braided, anyone got yz or wr braided brake line and want to share their experience? I am thinking going the YZ route as the WR brake line seems to be a good 6" longer than the YZ's one.

• freshy

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:58 AM

I switched to a fastline braided line (WR routing) and it certainly firmed things up as compared to the OEM cable. You will not be sorry with this mod!
fershy

• Premo

Posted July 17, 2006 - 07:24 AM

Thanks mate. I got tomorrow off and will change to OEM YZ450F cable to see how that goes before ordering.

• mtrablue

Posted July 17, 2006 - 07:52 AM

does anybody use the search feature anymore? the yz brake line is shorter. if you use the wr headlight it will not fit. what year is your wr? older style wr's can be converted to "cr style" routing like the new wr's.

• Ripmeister

Posted July 17, 2006 - 08:40 AM

does anybody use the search feature anymore? the yz brake line is shorter. if you use the wr headlight it will not fit. what year is your wr? older style wr's can be converted to "cr style" routing like the new wr's.

What's the big deal? Don't flame the guy - if he posts and someone replies, then great - if not, that the poster's problem. Sure he could get faster answers by searching but what - is he hogging bandwidth? Why should we care whether he searched first or not? :thumbsup:

I get kind of tired of the "search firsters" - - if you don't want to reply because the question has been asked a thousand times, then don't reply. You aren't on call here. BFD.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted July 17, 2006 - 11:24 AM

sorry mommy, i'll play nice.

for one thing, he'll find out a lot more information that way. your going to find that the guys that have been through these questions so many times aren't going to bother to respond. so he ends up with one or two guys that think it might work or know a guy that thinks it might work instead of tapping into all the information that is archived in TT.

so while i'm writing this to some how defend myself, i see at the top of the page; "have a question? use our search feature (top right) before asking. our archives are huge and most likely it's already been discussed at length" well what do ya' know, it wasn't my idea after all.

• Premo

Posted July 17, 2006 - 04:30 PM

does anybody use the search feature anymore?

If it wasn't always disabled, it might be a nice feature.

the yz brake line is shorter.

No kidding. did you read my first post?

if you use the wr headlight it will not fit. what year is your wr? older style wr's can be converted to "cr style" routing like the new wr's.

It is a 2005 and I have checked, it will fit thank you very much. How about you use the search feature?

• Ripmeister

Posted July 17, 2006 - 05:15 PM

for one thing, he'll find out a lot more information that way. your going to find that the guys that have been through these questions so many times aren't going to bother to respond. so he ends up with one or two guys that think it might work or know a guy that thinks it might work instead of tapping into all the information that is archived in TT.

Fair enough - if you can get through, how about a helpful link instead of the ratty flame? We're all in this together, man. That's why TT works.

• johnnyjeep

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:04 PM

I dont know what the big deal is. Most of the time when I see this happening, the post itself is telling me that there might be something that needs to be looked at, or giving me ideas of how others are going about addressing issues. I read this post because I wanted to know if there is a potential problem on the horizon with my WR. Now Im wondering why the YZ hose is better, but I guess Ill just search it out. In the big picture, there probably arent many unique questions here that havent been at least mentioned in the past, and maybe some just like the interaction between other people.

John in Vegas

• mtrablue

Posted July 18, 2006 - 09:20 AM

ok, ok, i was out of line. second shift sleep deprivation is getting to me. if i don't have anything helpful, i'll shut up. now we can get back to the bike before this thread gets like some of the other threads recently (ie. steel vs aluminum...).

i went to the ride eng. braided cable and cr routing shortly after i got my '03. the feel is much better. it doesn't seem to get as spongy (if that's a term) when it gets hot. it's also much easier to bleed. i'm pretty sure the only issue with the yz to wr change is that the yz line runs across the front of the number plate where the wr has to go around the headlight and all it's hardware. the nuts and bolts are the same, it's just a matter room. one thing odd about the stock line is how it comes off the master cylinder. it angles down. when the forks are compressed it puts a pretty good kink in the hose when in stock wr form. most after market lines allow the eye to be rotated so the line can be routed up to reduce the bend.

• Premo

Posted July 19, 2006 - 02:36 AM

Thanks mtrablue!

My stock line points up from the master cylinder, resting on the top "guide". The YZ450's line sits in between the two "guides". Maybe your's was installed wrong to start with?

Thanks anyway mate.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.