06 clutch noise

5 replies to this topic
  • jetnurse

Posted July 16, 2006 - 08:17 PM

I am starting to hear a very noisy clutch noise. It sounds like there is something rubbing on the clutch cover while running. When you pull in the clutch the noise is less but not gone. I checked the clutch and all plates were within spec. There was no signs of scraping or out of place.

With the clutchplates removed turning the inner hub seemd to "make noise" as you spin it....like a worn bearing sound.

Could the crank bearing be worn out?

Any help would be great.

Kevin

• urla

Posted July 17, 2006 - 01:36 AM

Do you have a glideplate on, WC glideplate also works as a ”sound” amplifier.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2006 - 07:39 AM

What you have is most likely normal transmission gear rattle. This results from the fact that the engine does not turn at a constant speed at idle, but rather, accelerates abruptly each power stroke, and decelerates just as hard each compression stroke. That rattle the trans back and forth, producing a considerable racket.

Pulling the clutch in will at least reduce the noise, because you break the direct connection to the engine, and putting the bike in gear will stop it altogether, because it stops the trans. If you have a failed bearing, which I very much doubt, you should be seeing a sudden, definite increase in the amount of squarish flakes of steel in the oil. I'll bet you don't have that. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jetnurse

Posted July 22, 2006 - 08:18 PM

As a matter of fact I do have the WC glide plate....!! Thinking back ...I believe the time I started to notice the noise was when I installed the glideplate. Maybe If I put the foam under the engine that will lower the noise.

I think next time I ride I'll take the plate off and on to "measure" the sound.

kevin

• Drfletcherdc

Posted July 23, 2006 - 07:34 AM

As a matter of fact I do have the WC glide plate....!! Thinking back ...I believe the time I started to notice the noise was when I installed the glideplate. Maybe If I put the foam under the engine that will lower the noise.

I think next time I ride I'll take the plate off and on to "measure" the sound.

kevin

Happen to me also, it is the glide plate. It will take you a few rides to get use to it then it won't matter anymore. :thumbsup:

• no air charlie

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:17 AM

Yep, me too. I took the glide plate back off and the noise disappeared. There have been some previous posts, using the foam will help but not completely eliminate the noise.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.