Missed Shifts - 426

11 replies to this topic
  • Btwick

Posted July 16, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Hi,

Always knew my 02 426 was tricky shifting from 1st to 2nd - consistently winding up in neutral (literally "winding up" :ride: ). Was a pain especially coming out of a turn into a jump and then finding myself coasting over it...

Thought it might have been my technique as I find myself sitting more and more way up in corners which makes a strong shift more difficult due to the angle of my foot.

Anyway, had a friend ride my bike yesterday and he confirmed something is wrong.. He missed shifts consistently in the few laps he rode my bike. Says his YZ250F tranny is "so forgiving".

Does anyone else have this prob? Any idea what is necessary to resolve the problem? How much is a tranny rebuild these days?

Thx,
Brian

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2006 - 07:49 AM

Let's try lowering the shifter one notch first. :ride:

• Btwick

Posted July 16, 2006 - 10:38 AM

Can't do that for when I am further back in the seat or standing when I shift.. Did try it BTW.

Anyway, was hoping to hear that this is something that could be the result of misalignment of gears or something in the tranny that could be repaired to make my gearbox as "forgiving" as my friends..

Anyone?

Thx
Brian

• jimbob69

Posted July 16, 2006 - 01:44 PM

You don't want to split the cases if you don't have to. I'd definentally try to work around that, its not a fun job. It takes a lot of time and patience, Are you sure the shifter is tight on the shaft? This sounds stupid but its hard not to overlook sometimes.

As long as your not hitting false nuetrals I think it may just be how the 426's are.

~jim~

• theclone

Posted July 16, 2006 - 03:54 PM

Mine is the same way. I asked the same question a lond time ago and got the same response. Just burn it in to your brain that you have to give it a really good whack and eventually you'll get used to it.

Sorry if that'sa little dissaponting, but :ride:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted July 17, 2006 - 09:42 PM

I don't have any issues like that on my 426...it's smooth as butter. My son's TT R250 is a different story...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rlp1

Posted July 17, 2006 - 09:56 PM

I don't have any missed shifting problems on my 2001 426. Is your clutch working properly? I know the clutches are definitely really wonky on the 426s, and it may not be engaging fully or something. My clutch is just really grabby, but yours could have other problems.

• odlaw19

Posted July 18, 2006 - 05:18 AM

I dont have any problems on my 426.... i cant say i have never hit Neutral but this was due to not shifting properly.

You could inspect the segment and stop for the thats attached to the end of the shift drum (this is what holds the shift drum at the right position for the selected gear). You dont have to split the cases but you do have to remove the ride side case cover along with the whole clutch assembly. I would image that if this is worn, it would be harder to select Neutral.

I think it may come down to you not being able to shift fully when you are sitting right forward.

• dsconstructs

Posted July 18, 2006 - 05:35 AM

Mine shifts from 1st to 2nd alright, it's down shifting back to 1st where I have problems.

• 6fiddy

Posted July 18, 2006 - 11:28 AM

Hi,

Always knew my 02 426 was tricky shifting from 1st to 2nd - consistently winding up in neutral (literally "winding up" :ride: ). Was a pain especially coming out of a turn into a jump and then finding myself coasting over it...

Thought it might have been my technique as I find myself sitting more and more way up in corners which makes a strong shift more difficult due to the angle of my foot.

Anyway, had a friend ride my bike yesterday and he confirmed something is wrong.. He missed shifts consistently in the few laps he rode my bike. Says his YZ250F tranny is "so forgiving".

Does anyone else have this prob? Any idea what is necessary to resolve the problem? How much is a tranny rebuild these days?

Thx,
Brian

I use Powerpegz foot pegz and they are worth their weight in copper. Seriously, they make shifting much easier especially while you are riding hard switching riding positions frequently. CASE CLOSED :thumbsup:

• 02YZ426

Posted July 18, 2006 - 01:45 PM

Let's try lowering the shifter one notch first. :thumbsup:

I would go this route and see if it helps... It certainly fixed the problem with my 426. Even if its not comfortable at first you will get used to it.

• ryan c

Posted July 18, 2006 - 09:44 PM

I have an 01 426 and at first had the same problem, it's you not used to the bike, Everyone who rides my bike has the same problem when there not used to it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.