WARNING: 12 tooth sprocket users.

10 replies to this topic
  • jimbob69

Posted July 15, 2006 - 11:15 PM

A while back me and my brother in law went to hit up some one ruts, so i put a 12 tooth sprocket on the front. I got it on and noticed a lot of drag on the wheel, couldnt figure it out, wasnt the bearings, wasnt the chain beein too right, wasnt anything internal. So i said just forget it, i rode the bike around and it was fine. BTW im runnin a primary drive o-ring chain witch is real wide do to use of cheap matierials, its gotta be wide to get the strength.

I go a couple days later to change back to a 14 tooth.

And i found out where the drag was coming from, the sprocket was soo small that the chain was rubbing on the case, it looks perfectly machined, but it must have weakened it sufficitently (sry bout spelling and grammar.)

It must have wore off almost 1/8 inch in, im sure it has to do with my wide chain. Next time i have my sprocket off ill take a pic and post it.

~jim~

• barch88

Posted July 15, 2006 - 11:30 PM

What kind of sprocket was it? Yeah, I read about your chain being cheap and substituting thickness for strength...

• BergArabia

Posted July 16, 2006 - 02:48 AM

I am interested in the photos when you get them.
I am glad I have stuck to stock for the sprockets but I do have a DID xring chain.
Sounds line a case check needs to become part of regular services.
Cheers,
Mark

• jimbob69

Posted July 16, 2006 - 09:12 AM

It was a wierd brand sprocket, started with a T, got it on clearance for 4 dollars on rockymountainmc.com

I'll deffinentally get pics asap.

• barch88

Posted July 16, 2006 - 01:56 PM

It was a wierd brand sprocket, started with a T, got it on clearance for 4 dollars on rockymountainmc.com

I'll deffinentally get pics asap.

You know how the saying goes; "You get what you pay for."

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sundog

Posted July 16, 2006 - 02:03 PM

How does a smaller front sprocket equate to the chain rubbing the case?

If anything wouldn't this bring the chain farther away from the case (or your case guard which it sounds like you didn't have on).

• mpl239

Posted July 16, 2006 - 03:43 PM

I am running a 12 t, with an oring chain, no problems. The 12t makes the yz426(with a 49t rear) a damn fine trail machine in the desert southwest.

• HappyG

Posted July 16, 2006 - 09:29 PM

How does a smaller front sprocket equate to the chain rubbing the case?

If anything wouldn't this bring the chain farther away from the case (or your case guard which it sounds like you didn't have on).

not the "smallness" but possibly the "wrongness" if it didnt have the correct spacing. (that small boss on the inside of the sprocket). it might have had the correct spline size but not the correct alignment.

• catmanz440

Posted July 16, 2006 - 09:36 PM

it was Rocky Mountain's Tusk brand. Funny, I use their stuff on my bikes without any problems.

• Sundog

Posted July 17, 2006 - 04:54 AM

not the "smallness" but possibly the "wrongness" if it didnt have the correct spacing. (that small boss on the inside of the sprocket). it might have had the correct spline size but not the correct alignment.

Now that I can understand. Not the correct sprocket then, or was installed the wrong way. I received a rear rotor that was marked with the correct catalog numbers but the rotor did not fit. Mis-marked product.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted July 17, 2006 - 06:45 AM

The sprocket is a Titax, not a Tusk. RM doesn't carry Tusk sprockets, they are Primary Drive and what used to be Titax. As mentioned above the chain is probably the problem.

Are you sure the swingarm isn't being grooved???

Also, running a 12 is very hard on chains, especially on a high HP motor running a cheap chain. I would recommend bumping up to a 13 and buying a real chain before things get expensive :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.