WR426 VS. Raptor 660R........

I was at a dealership today that is not a normal one that I frequent, and was looking at 4 wheelers for my wife. Mind you she has ridden 4 wheelers, dirtbikes, and large bore sportbikes since she was about 4 (well the sportbikes came a bit later but you get my point). So I was looking at a 660 Raptor for her and the owner asked me if he could help me, I told him what I was looking for and that it was for my wife and he asked me if I wanted to get rid of her or something. Which I kind of take as an insult because in truth my wife is as good of a rider as I am. She can take a corner so hard her rear tire leaves black marks coming round the frigging thing. anyway, I asked the owner if the Raptor could beat my WR426, and he laughed and said that I would never see the Raptor after starting on a track till it lapped me. I thought that he may be overstating its capabilities just a bit so I tried to joke with hime and he just got pissed and told me that there is no dirt bike that is even close to as fast as the and I quote "110 MPH" raptor. I think this guy is full of crap, just going through it in my head it seems as though both machines may be close to the same power to weight ratio. however, I cannot beleive that the raptor is any faster if at all to the WR/YZ 426. Am I right??? or am I asking for an old fashioned ass whooping. oh, and this guy wants to drag race me on my WR soon as the weather gets nicer. Might just take the Buell along for good measure.

later,

Ronin

He is full of it!!! I have a '01 YZ426 and one of my buddies has the Raptor. We rode down to the dealer together and put them both on the trailer (a good sale for the dealer in January). Anyway, to make this short, the raptor can't beat the 426, period. My bike is still stock as far as engine and pipe and he has a slip-on (i forget which brand). The last time we raced in an open field I lined up two bikes ahead of him and let him hit it (he would always complain that he could not get a good start because it comes up so easy). I did not hit it until he went past me. Walked him down and passed him on top. Not that I am taking anything away from the Raptor, because it is a beast and a blast to ride. It hits strong and hard, it just can't beat the 426 on the track, open field or woods. I guess that is why my friend always wants to find some sand to ride in. hahahaha

I am sure he is going to love it when he sees this post.

Hey Ronin,

A little off topic, but how long do you think your WR would keep up with your M2 on the street in a drag race? I figure around 20 mph between my two units. Had a guy on the DRZ forum get quite hurt when I suggested his DRZ super motard proabably wasn't as fast as he thinks compared to superbikes. Wasn't trying to start something, nor did I finish it. His response, among other things said, "I thought Buell went out of business for lack of styling.. overpriced... harley (Chick bike) sportster powered."

What do you think?

Here's the post: https://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=003815

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: John H ]

I read the other post, what an ass. as far as the M2 going faster than my WR I would have to say that the WR really wouldnt have a chance, and especially not a chance with the X-1 since she is built a bit. Kind of funny though, when I first got my WR I stopped riding my Buells for about a month cause the WR is my first dirt bike and I didnt realize how much I would enjoy riding in the dirt. So after about 4 weeks of getting used to the power of the WR I thought that this little WR would run circles around my Buells. She felt light, nimble and very, very powerful. Then I got on my X-1 and realized that by riding the WR and being so used to the power of the X-1 prior to riding the WR that in my mind I downplayed the acceleration of the X-1 and then I forgot about how it felt by riding the WR too much. needless to say when I got on the X-1 and grabbed a handful she took of faster than I think I ever felt prior. The X-1 felt FAST, REAL FAST. quite strange, but now I realize that it is all relative to what you are used to. oh and by the way, we gotta find this DRZ super motard and give him a run for his money.

later,

Ronin

Who is the moron dealer, and can I have his # so I can heckle him daily!!

My best friend who races GNCC had a Raptor, nicest quad i've ever ridden, and IT IS A BEAST!! closest thing to a bike with four wheels. He sold it to buy his third 250r (LIGHTER and faster, and yes he still has 3). this one has a lonestar chassis, SWEET!

LETS SEE---WR apprx. wt. 260lbs - 45-50 horsies

Raptor a lot more lbs - only 32 hp

unless the WR is on slick mud, and the raptor on pavement... no competition. WR will Run Away and Hide.

Bikes are almost always the faster choice!

?

hey the dealership is Dranttel Sales in St. Peter Minnesota 507-931-1363 give him a call. he was telling me that the Raptor has something like over 60 HP. I thought that sounded a little over stated. well anyway, this yamaha dealer hates bikes so bad, he won't ever sell or service the things.

later,

ronin

I called and asked about the raptor, I could smell him from N.Y.. I tried to help him ? but he does not like to listen. anyway, he thinks that he talked me into a new ride. some people are so stubborn.

your right, he dosn't like bikes much (or me) does he! :D

and no I was not rude, just tring to help the under educated :D (and have a free laugh)

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: crazyadam ]

Ronin,

I realize this is off topic, but I'm thinking of buying an Buell M2. I'll be using mostly for a 35 mile (each way) commute on Fwy. Probably only use it 2 or 3 days each week. How well suited for that type of riding is it? Someone said it would be like buying a Porsche for commuting...sounds OK to me. At least I would enjoy my commute! Any problems with the '01 M2?

Thanks, Chuck

cy, no problems with any of my Buells. the M2 has about 4000 miles on it and the X-1 has about 18,000 on it. The bikes are great fun to ride, 35 miles would be one hell of a lot of fun to ride every day on a Buell. You won't be dissapointed as long as you can deal with a bit of vibration at idle, however, this subsides after you hit 2000 RPM. Good luck, one site to check on is www.sacborg.com it is a great forum and all the people are really great to talk to. just take some of their opinions with a grain of salt and if you get talking with a guy named Cecil, dont listen to a thing he says. He just likes to get people riled up.

later,

Ronin

dont be afraid to private message me with any questions or ask more in the open forums either here or at www.sacborg.com

Just poking my head on the blue side here.I've dragged a Raptor on my DRZ kicker from 3rd gear on an open dirt road.He hit it first and got a small jump soon as 4th gear came he was getting dropped pretty good.A 426 forget it that quad will not have a prayer.Tell that dealer to stop hitting the pipe at work.

Originally posted by Ronin:

I read the other post, what an ass. as far as the M2 going faster than my WR I would have to say that the WR really wouldnt have a chance, and especially not a chance with the X-1 since she is built a bit. Kind of funny though, when I first got my WR I stopped riding my Buells for about a month cause the WR is my first dirt bike and I didnt realize how much I would enjoy riding in the dirt. So after about 4 weeks of getting used to the power of the WR I thought that this little WR would run circles around my Buells. She felt light, nimble and very, very powerful. Then I got on my X-1 and realized that by riding the WR and being so used to the power of the X-1 prior to riding the WR that in my mind I downplayed the acceleration of the X-1 and then I forgot about how it felt by riding the WR too much. needless to say when I got on the X-1 and grabbed a handful she took of faster than I think I ever felt prior. The X-1 felt FAST, REAL FAST. quite strange, but now I realize that it is all relative to what you are used to. oh and by the way, we gotta find this DRZ super motard and give him a run for his money.

later,

Ronin

I agree Ronin. My WR feels/is fast, but then I hop on the the Buell and realize the difference. Didn't understand their reaction when I told that guy what I believe to be true. Anyway, it's kinda funny to talk to a dealer when you know they're feeding you a line. Sometimes I confront their BS. Other times I figure it's not worth it and just say, "yeah, reallllllyyy, wow?" all the while I'm laughing inside.

I can say from experience, that a raptor does not have 60 HP. I had mine dyno tuned when I had it piped, and jetted(39 HP at the rear wheels). They are an absolute ball to ride, and top speed they are close to as fast as a moto-x bike(because of gearing). My wife has a blast on her's, and she DOES know how to ride it!!A WR will do about 100 MPH, a little faster than a Raptor.Acceleration isn't even close, the bike will win(As long as you get traction!!).

yep! i called him, and said I wanted to spend some dough on a new toy.. I want another dirt bike ? maybe? "WE DON'T SELL EM!!" How 'bout that raptor? He got excited! how much hp? "those have almost 60" No they DO NOT! maybe 40 with 500$ in parts. Will you give me a deal with a pipe, I want the Yamaha Works Carbon pipe, and Ti head pipe, check on it and I'll call back to see about making a deal! I think I heard him spooge! :D He definatly wants me to come down and pick one up! He is a putz though! :D

Funny gig crazyadam....you gonna tell him you bought the Honda instead (400EX?) just to add insult to injury? Keep hammering these guys, seems the only way to humble them enough to shut their yaps when they don't know what they're talking about. Good job man. ? On second thought, find a dealer who sells Yamaha and Honda, and tell him you bought from them since they gave you a package deal on a 426 and the quad. "Don't sell bikes,huh?" Why I oughtta.....

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: BlueThunder ]

Ha, ha, ha!!! Some dealers are so stupid, it’s funny.

We’ve got a dealer here in, Western New York, that tried to tell me that the rear caliper clearance on a YZF426 stock pipe was a “custom factory power tuning dent”! What an idiot!

Getting back to the Raptor … I don’t own a quad but I like to ride them, time to time, like in the snow or slick mud, they’re a blast in low traction situations.

In the last year I’ve ridden the Bombadier DS650.

Opinion: Big heavy pig that can get smoked by a stock XR400.

Then my buddy’s wife got a Yamaha Raptor and then threw at least $1,000 into it, in hop ups.

Opinion: Nice. But not that nice, seeing that this thing cost well over $7,000.

Then my neighbor picked a nice, used, bone stock 1999 Honda 400EX, for $3,500.

Opinion: This thing is a hoot! Awesome chassis and great low end hit. Yeah it might not beat a Raptor in a drag race, but it will be more fun on the trail. It’s only downside is no reserve gear. And, I don’t say this just because I own a couple of Honda’s already. I ride whatever is best for me.

Seriously, that 400EX is a blast. I'm not really a quad guy, but I wouldn’t mind owning one.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Trail Ryder ]

A well tuned banshee with a 400 stroker kit and a few goodies can approach 70 HP with less weight than a raptor. My brother has one and it is scary fast. Keeping up with my WR isn't much of a problem for him. Raptors are like harleys, all bark with no bite.

You know banshees are the little ghosts that hang around right before someone dies. appropriate.

Ride a GSXR-1000, everything else is a dog.