Rode the ol 426 today and...

7 replies to this topic
  • yz_for_me

Posted July 14, 2006 - 09:08 PM

I forgot how much fun that bike is! I was going to take my 450 to the track but was thwarted by a gash in my front tire. So, with the 450 out of commission, I dusted off the old girl and we went riding at the track yesterday and today. Yesterday it took a couple extra kicks to get lit, but today, 2 kicks. :ride: So, here's what stood out after not riding it in over a year.

1. The 426 had one sweet motor. The thing rips and has a great hit that is a blast but not too crazy. I don't think it gives up much to any 450. Certainly an average joe could easily still be competitive with this motor.

2. It's official. I'm a 5 speed guy. I've gotten used to my 450's 4 speed, but riding the 426 again confirmed it for me. 5 gears is the way to go.

3. Having a clutch is fun. At least on a MX track it is. I've had a Rekluse on my 450 for over a year and have gotten used to not worrying about the clutch. It's great for the mountains and technical terrain where with a clutch I'd be swearing like a sailor. But on the track it's fun to grab a handful and come spinning out of a corner. I know, I know, we don't want too much wheel spin, but it sure can be fun. :banana:

4. It's not all good though. The thing turns like a battleship. My '03 can turn circles around my '01 and the '03 isn't known as a particularly good turning bike. Compared to an '06 though, there is absolutely no comparison.

5. The ol' girl's a portly one. There's no way to hide it. The 426 is heavy and you can feel it. Again, the '03 is a lot better and the '06 is light years ahead in the weight department.

So what did I learn from this? My next bike's going to be a nice light 450 with a 5 speed and great handling. Any ideas? Hmmmm....Come to think of it, the wife's in Wisconsin for a week. Hmmmm.....

:ride: (just wishful thinking) :ride:

• barch88

Posted July 14, 2006 - 09:28 PM

I think I found the bike that suits you best...2006 YZ450F for your next bike idea :ride:

Glad you had fun, and I like to grap the clutch out of corners too, heh.

• yz_for_me

Posted July 14, 2006 - 10:20 PM

I think I found the bike that suits you best...2006 YZ450F for your next bike idea :ride:

You may be onto something there.

• barch88

Posted July 14, 2006 - 10:23 PM

Hmmmm....Come to think of it, the wife's in Wisconsin for a week. Hmmmm.....

:ride: (just wishful thinking) :ride:

Oh, haha. I missed that last time I read it. I know my old neighbor's wife went out of town on a business trip for a week then his brother talked him into getting a Harley, so they go down to the shop and buy a couple softtails, so his wife comes home and him and her brother-in-law both have 2 brand new Harleys sitting in the driveway... :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odlaw19

Posted July 15, 2006 - 03:29 AM

Yep... He's really onto it!!!! :ride: :banana: :p :ride:

• Zique

Posted July 15, 2006 - 07:55 AM

What kind of top end speed do you sacrifice by only having the 4 gears in the 06's? I'm thinking of upgrading, but I do a lot of desert as well and don't want to have huge changes to make in my sprockets every time.

• barch88

Posted July 15, 2006 - 09:24 AM

What kind of top end speed do you sacrifice by only having the 4 gears in the 06's? I'm thinking of upgrading, but I do a lot of desert as well and don't want to have huge changes to make in my sprockets every time.

The '06 has 5... :ride: :ride:

• jamiehughes

Posted July 15, 2006 - 03:04 PM

4 or 5 speed, i think high gear is the same in both, just the ratios in between are different, so top speed shouldn't be affected at all. just getting up to top speed is different.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.