tankslapper at high speed

3 replies to this topic
  • motomonte

Posted July 14, 2006 - 04:56 PM

Well it finally happened.Last week at the very last day of my vacations I was running some errands and returning home on a highway when suddenly my bike started to wobble till it got worse and I ended being thrown off the bike This was not new,since the bike did a little wobble now and then but I always managed to control it by getting far back on the seat.But this time it caught me by surprise.Worst yet I wasn't wearing any protection (not that i don't have some,I've got a few riding jackets,pants and gloves)I just got my palms,knees and elbow scrapped and a few more days of from work.The bike suffered a broken brake lever,bent foot peg and the rear panels were spared some serious abuse from the teflon strips that I've installed (been there before).The cause of this :ride: as far as I've figured out started after I lowered the bike(two full inches in the triple clamps and almost all the thread in the rear shock)being that I'm only 5'7".Also the front tire looks a little warped cause it doesn't run straight(I mean it runs up and down relatively to the rim)maybe I should have it balanced if it's possible.So if anybody has been thru this and have some possible causes/fixes to this problem let us know.Also I would like to know wich handlebar/hand guards are a better fit for the L model as well as a steering stabilizer.THANKS

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Those tank slappers are scary, no doubt. Sounds like you may have went to much in the triple tree lower. You have shorted the wheel base some which would affect the handle some what. Glad to hear that you are doing OK thats the main thing. Take care and God bless. :ride: :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maniak

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:47 PM

Way to much in the tripples for a 21", and you might have left the crowns loose, low air in one or both tires or worn tires.Bent frame? try a tire alignment. Backing off the spring preload in the rear to nothing will only help to make the high speed shimmy worse, if anything you should have cranked in more preload. If you are trying to lower it, use a lower link, and if you are going to be on the street a lot try a real good dual sport tire, I put Avon Gripsters on mine and, with everything tight and straight with correct drop on the rear, have had it to 90mph with no shimmy, but you can induce one if you try. If you intend to do street only, try the SM 17's, I can do well over 100 and its stable as a rocket on rails, if everything is in good condition you dont need a stabilizer unless you are doing high speed off road, then everything helps. Sorry about your crash, it happens.

• motomonte

Posted July 14, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Very well said :It does happens,thankfully this time there were no cars behind me.As for the bike settings thats what can happen when you try to lower your bike more that it canbe safely done by conventional means.Anyways I hope that this may save someone from doing the same mistake as I did.I'm going to take the bike up to factory height and if I decide to lower it again I'll use the lowering link and shorten the fork travel but be aware of the rake angle and trail something that I've should have done a long ago.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.