Stupid long muffler!

25 replies to this topic
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:45 PM

Have any of you guys chopped the stock silencer down at all? I am so used to the Honda being nice and tucked in, this stock one is killing me.

• NorCalRider

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:52 PM

Chop a few inches off of it and stick the stock endcap back on, or get a PMB endcap.

• NorCalRider

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:53 PM

P.S. - I figured I'd find you in here. :ride:

• Reyndogg

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:53 PM

I snapped a finger (check card) and it became shorter (and a different brand)... magic i tell you :ride:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:54 PM

I just don't want the thing to be too loud. Do those end caps screw with the power at all?

• Reyndogg

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:57 PM

Dont know man, i run a FMF Factory 4.1 - its really not much louder than stock, actually. Im not one to let it go forever without a repack though. Ive considered the quiet insert for it but they say (whoever "they" are) that it does have a low end power penalty...not sure if that is the case or not.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:59 PM

I don't want to change the power of the bike at all. I like it the way it is. Just cosmetically I hate the look of the muffler.

• getdrunk

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:13 PM

i went 5 inches shorter on one of my pipes and it got alot louder.

• Doughnut

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:16 PM

i went 5 inches shorter on one of my pipes and it got alot louder.

Really, did it? I thought that when you go 5 inches shorter on a pipe, it starts haveing Tea Parties with you....

• barch88

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:20 PM

I don't think the stock '06 one is bad, however the 05 and older are beasts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:25 PM

The Dr. D full SS system I have ends up somewhat shorter than the stock. The can ends 4" past the rearmost point of the number plate, and the tip about 5". Overall, I'd guess the pipe to be about two inches shorter than stock, maybe less. The power is very similar to the stock pipe, but the low and mid are noticeably sharper. Still very smooth, though.

I know of no one who has cut down a stock pipe on an '06, but I have seen a 426 cut down 3", and a YZ450 cut down just over two....they were obnoxiously loud. The '06 has a better muffler than the earlier models, so it may work out better, but don't be surprised.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:27 PM

On the one I bent I'm going to chop it off to the bracket.......just for shits and grins. See what happens.

• jr_vw2

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:48 PM

I have an 02 426 and when I got the bike the exhaust had been cut down and the tip cut off. It sounds like total crap, it is WAY loud. I dont know about the power because I didnt ride the bike before it was cut. But I would say that it will mess with the power. Anything that is going to mess with the back presure of an engine will affect the power to some degree.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• siudog

Posted July 14, 2006 - 03:27 PM

'02 yz426f stocker was cut about 3 inches for a "sparky" arrestor when riding in Michigan. No change in sound or power, with or withou the sparky or change in length.

• Ranger18

Posted July 14, 2006 - 03:35 PM

I don't know about cutting it, But the PMB cap doesn't change the power at all, if you only get the spark arrestor.

• kyleyz

Posted July 14, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Really, did it? I thought that when you go 5 inches shorter on a pipe, it starts haveing Tea Parties with you....

Alright...thats enough ragging on getdrunk...please grow up Doughnut. :ride:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted July 14, 2006 - 05:59 PM

I heard the DMC Afterburner is a good pipe. . . :ride: :ride:

• barch88

Posted July 14, 2006 - 06:03 PM

I have an 02 426 and when I got the bike the exhaust had been cut down and the tip cut off. It sounds like total crap, it is WAY loud. I dont know about the power because I didnt ride the bike before it was cut. But I would say that it will mess with the power. Anything that is going to mess with the back presure of an engine will affect the power to some degree.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It would look better if the previous owner didn't cut the tip too, just the muffler. IMO

• Doughnut

Posted July 14, 2006 - 06:11 PM

Alright...thats enough ragging on getdrunk...please grow up Doughnut. :ride:

*Cough* Avatar *Cough*

• adamdf

Posted July 14, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Redbeard, honestly, i congratulated you in the honda forums today for going blue/yellow, and now your in here complaining about the most silly thing, please leave the bike the way it is and ENJOY it! You will soon find that yamahas are made for pure business and no fooling around and you'll love it even more than that first ride you raved about in the honda forums. Don't mind what those guys are saying about the stock exhaust, they are just picking at the slightest thing because they hate it that your going to be on a yamaha. Good luck and please take my dumb advice, leave the exhaust alone!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.