A new WR rider

60 replies to this topic
  • rushfan

Posted July 14, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Hey guys...Check this out. As of 2 weeks ago, I was set on buying my oldest Son, who will be 14 soon, a new crf230. Well, something better came along.
About a year ago, a friend of mine bought a new '05 wr450 and has ridden it 3 times for a grand total of about 35 miles. And now!!?? He doesn't want it. So, I bought it for my Son at a KBB value of $4,700.00. My Son doesn't know it yet, but I am sure that this will be a big hit...Even though it's blue.

I'm hoping that I'm not over my head or my Sons ability with this bike, but I will probably never have to buy a bike for him again. This is it!! The real deal!! A big boy thumper for him to grow with. :ride:

Anyway, with that being said, it would be helpful to get some advise from you guys. Should I de-tune it? It's still stock except for the free mods. Stock pipe with the baffle removed.

Also, no flames please. I know that this is a big bike for a 14 year old. But, I couldn't let a deal like this pass me by.

Have a great weekend...rushfan :ride:

• Dube2

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:24 AM

HOLLY CRAP!!!! 14 years old and a WR 450, he's gona shit his pants dude. :ride: cool dad. :ride: unless he's under 5' 5" don't mess with the bike, he'll get used to it in no time. my first real dirt bike at 13, I couldn't even touch the ground only w/ one foot. we'll be seeing him on the x-games soon. my son is pushing 6 now and only 32lbs. he rides a PW 50. can't wait for him to ride a bigger bike with me. :ride:

keep us updated on his reaction :banana: when he sees the bike....

• Punisher660

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:30 AM

He will be fine. My 14 yo rides a 426 and rode a KX250 since he was 12. He's a tall skinny kid, so I de-tune it just a little, but he handle my WR450 better than half of my buddies. My first bike was a KX250 when I was 12 also. He'll grow with it and learn to ride it just fine.

• rushfan

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:34 AM

Yeah, right now he's on vacation at his cousins and will be home this weekend.
But, let me clarify...This is not his first bike. He's moving up form an xr100. Also, he's 5'8" and growing quick!!
I was thinking about putting it in his bedroom, so when he comes home and goes to his room................. :ride: :ride: :ride:

• face_plant

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:41 AM

welcome aboard.
about the 450 i am 511 200lbs and it scared the **** out of me for the first couple days but now i am getting comfortable with it. it may be a little much for him in my oppinion (but i was on an xr250 when i was 12) just make sure not to push him to keep up it is alot of bike. i always said the best riders start out with too much bike )
just be carefull

• OneToGo

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Lucky kid your 14y/o!
I have a 14y/o who wont touch my 450.

If your son is a competent rider he will be fine. The power is way controllable, very linear but it can get a way from you if you let it have a fist full.
The only other issue will be the seat height and feet down. The bike is (feels) top heavy and once it starts to lean over (slow or at standstill) then it takes some effort to hold it up. If he is over 5'6" then I reckon he will be fine but you need around 30-31 inseam to touch both booted toes on ground.

Shorter riders have previously posted, almost all have asked how to lower the bike. If you are interested in this mod there are a number of makes of rear links and fork spacers which can lower the beast by an inch or so. Do a seacrh in the WR Forum - earlier this year there were some active threads.

Have fun
:ride:

• rushfan

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:52 AM

Lucky kid your 14y/o!
I have a 14y/o who wont touch my 450.

If your son is a competent rider he will be fine. The power is way controllable, very linear but it can get a way from you if you let it have a fist full.
The only other issue will be the seat height and feet down. The bike is (feels) top heavy and once it starts to lean over (slow or at standstill) then it takes some effort to hold it up. If he is over 5'6" then I reckon he will be fine but you need around 30-31 inseam to touch both booted toes on ground.

Shorter riders have previously posted, almost all have asked how to lower the bike. If you are interested in this mod there are a number of makes of rear links and fork spacers which can lower the beast by an inch or so. Do a seacrh in the WR Forum - earlier this year there were some active threads.

Have fun

If you can help find that link, that would be great. But I was thinking of just shaving the seat down like the way I did mine.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted July 14, 2006 - 10:07 AM

let me clarify...This is not his first bike. He's moving up form an xr100.

You are kidding Right? I was expecting you to say moving up from a CR125. I suggest doing zero mods and make sure his health insurance is up to date. There is nothing in common between the two bikes :ride:

• rushfan

Posted July 14, 2006 - 10:19 AM

You are kidding Right? I was expecting you to say moving up from a CR125. I suggest doing zero mods and make sure his health insurance is up to date. There is nothing in common between the two bikes :ride:

Nope, not kidding. He's ridden mine a few times and loved it. But, he has never started and stopped with out my help. He'll be a little tentative at first, but I think he'll be ok in now time. And yes, he always has his Kaiser card with him :ride:

• shifty450

Posted July 14, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Your kid will be just fine. That is a really cool idea to stick it in his bedroom.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rushfan

Posted July 14, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for all of the kind words from all of you guys. I needed a little reassurance that i'm not an idiot for doing this :ride: We'll take it slow and be careful.

• bandit99

Posted July 14, 2006 - 10:50 AM

At 5'8" he should be ok. In a year he will fit perfect. Will you adopt me?????

• rushfan

Posted July 14, 2006 - 10:58 AM

At 5'8" he should be ok. In a year he will fit perfect. Will you adopt me?????

LOL :ride:

• Falls A Lot

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:21 PM

What sort of riding will your son be doing with the WR450? I pray it's easy open stuff. On the tight single track trail I ride here in Michigan, there is no way in hell I would turn a 14 year old, XR100 vet or not, loose on a 450, for fear of the dreaded whiskey throttle near hardwood.

Please tell me he will be riding this in open terrain for some time.

• rushfan

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:29 PM

What sort of riding will your son be doing with the WR450? I pray it's easy open stuff. On the tight single track trail I ride here in Michigan, there is no way in hell I would turn a 14 year old, XR100 vet or not, loose on a 450, for fear of the dreaded whiskey throttle near hardwood.

Please tell me he will be riding this in open terrain for some time.

That's what him and I ride is pretty much all of the high climbing twisties. He loves the woods stuff and the single track technical stuff. And to be honest, sometimes he leaves me behind!! :ride:
But, to answer your question, he will be on the flat/easy stuff, and the easy hills for as long as he needs. :ride: Come on now, give me a little credit. I know that this bike is a little too big. So, we'll take it slow.

• MSHAM

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:11 PM

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam (on a good day) I weigh 145 lbs when wet and ride an '06 wr450f. I love it! I had not been on a bike in 13 years. My advantage is that I'm 34 and respect what I have. My disadvantage are my legs. If he respects the bike, he will do fine. I'm done growing, so I make do. HGopefully he'll get a leg up on me soon!

• Bullwinkle

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:21 PM

I'm available for adoption if you need another son.

• bluebike1999

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:22 PM

i can just picture him sitting around with some mates and they say "what sort of bike you got?"
one kids says "i got a cr 125"
other kid goes " ive got an xr 250"
he says "I ve got a wr 450"
other kids say "yeah sure"

my 8 y/o can ride wifes ttr 230 but needs help in take off and landing.
good way to load fear and respect

• farkawi

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:55 PM

I hope your kid knows how truly fortunate he is. My dad gave me my first bike at age 14 and I will be forever grateful to him for introducing me to what has become a lifelong (40 years & counting) moto journey!

• RichBaker

Posted July 14, 2006 - 08:29 PM

It might be worthwhile to put the stock WR throttle-stop in for awhile...til he gets used to 4x the power!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.