Valve Issues on YZF's 450?

9 replies to this topic
  • fmv60691

Posted July 13, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Hello everyone:

I have always been a CRF 450 owner, and not yet have had any valve issue, anyway I take care of them every 25-30 hours. But I heard YZF's 450 were much more reliable and didn't need that much manteinance, oil as well... and were much more reliable in general......

I also have to say I heard the complete opposite story, plus much more expensive and difficult to find components for YZF's and five valves instead of four!!

I am planning to swsitch but not sure, please give me your views!!

thanks a lot !!

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2006 - 10:08 PM

It's true. The heads are more expensive, and the valves are more expensive. But they're easy to find if you order in advance. Not many people stock them because not many people buy them.

You see, my '03 has yet to actually require its first valve adjustment, and it's not unusual in that regard. I keep checking, but they're still in spec. I may have to do the rings before the valve clearance goes out.

I change the oil every 3 ride days unless there's a race involved. Works out to something less than 10 hours, normally.

• jwcrf05

Posted July 14, 2006 - 05:54 AM

i've got just over 100 hours on the old hour meter on my 05 and they haven't moved at all, still looks like brand new.

• MotoGoalie

Posted July 14, 2006 - 06:27 AM

You see, my '03 has yet to actually require its first valve adjustment, and it's not unusual in that regard. I keep checking, but they're still in spec. I may have to do the rings before the valve clearance goes out.

I change the oil every 3 ride days unless there's a race involved. Works out to something less than 10 hours, normally.

Same for me. My topend is still in spec. Other than the oil and air filter changes its pretty carefree.

• Jaycycle

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:06 AM

Yup what moto and gray said is dead on. And yes their are 3 intake valves and 2 exhaust valves (didn't know it was different on the crfs?). As long as you do your maintenance it will be an awesome bike... I suggest you getting one!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted July 14, 2006 - 09:21 AM

20 Hours on my new '06 and there in spec and good! :thumpsup:

• Nitroused383

Posted July 14, 2006 - 02:44 PM

I have an 04 and im not sure how many hours are on it, 100+ i'm sure. I checked maybe 20 hours ago and they were still in spec. The previous owner abused the bike. I ride in the dunes a bit and clean the air filter every ride, and the oil every 4 hours. I'm not sure about you guys but i'm not worried about my valves, my bike starts first kick everytime (2 twist of full throttle, kick vrooom pop!!!) I can also start my bike with my hand, not that that matters. I will probably replace the timing chain soon though. I bought the yzf over the crf for 1 reason, and that is reliability. :ride:
On a side note, if this 4 stroker blows up and cost a lot of money i'm going back to 2 strokes though.

• fmv60691

Posted July 17, 2006 - 01:03 AM

thankyou all for your comments, seems like users are quite happy with YzF's 450.

• Premo

Posted July 17, 2006 - 03:38 AM

I have a problem getting valve shims. No Yamaha shop here stocks them!
Just goes to show how reliable they really are.

The Honda shop always seems to have them, and in half sizes too.

• fmv60691

Posted July 19, 2006 - 08:17 AM

decission made, I am switching my honda for a 06 450 Yamaha, tired of being scared of valve issues.

thanks for your help!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.