Stem Bearings...HELP

8 replies to this topic
  • JoeJoe03

Posted July 13, 2006 - 05:06 PM

'03 YZ450F...

Can anyone tell me how to remove the lower stem bearing???? Is there a way I can do it from home without having to take it to a MX shop???

Also...

I took my shock off because I need to change the spring, however, I cannot figure out how to remove the existing spring from the shock??? Do I need a special tool for this or is there a trick??

Thank You Guys!!!!!!!! :ride:

• barch88

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Try this thread...

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=393823

As far as the shock thing goes, I have no idea bro, sorry. :ride:

-Mike

• WFOracer

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:05 PM

I take it you don't have a manual.

For the lower triple clamp bearing. Look in your manual, it says to use a floor chisel to pry it up, but don't ding the steering stem. You better be replacing the bearing races as well, right?

For the shock spring, break the threaded lock rings loose. Loosen them all the way. Them push the rubber bumber down and remove the retainer bushing (couldn't think of a better word). Sometimes that rubber bumber sticks.

I really encourage you to check out the manual, it does help.

• btc20mx

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:06 PM

you have to have a press to get the bottom bearing off. You will just beat the hell out of it without one

beats me about the shock

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:07 PM

New bearings should come with the races too, I think. If you just have to lube it you don't need to take it off, just pack it with grease and put it back on.

• JoeJoe03

Posted July 14, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Thank you guys very much...

I tried like heck to pry the lower bearing off with a chisel but just ended up starting to affect the triple clamp...I guess I will need to take it in to get it removed with the proper tool. As for the races...I cannot punch them out to save my life so another reason to take it in cause I do want to change them as well.

I got the shock figured out................THANK YOU!!!

• tom nolan

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:09 PM

I used a small die grinder with a cut off wheel. Once I dug a deep enough groove in the bearing i smacked it with a cold chisel and it split in half. After it's splits, it pops right off.

• LJ

Posted July 17, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Here's what I did, it was pretty easy:
1) To take the lower steering stem bearing off, take a butane torch and heat up the bearing. Give it a good wack with a chisel and it will come off.
2) This worked great putting the new bearing on. Put the triple clamp in the freezer and let it sit for a couple of hours. Take your new bearing and put it under a heat lamp. Do this and the bearing will just slide right on to the steering stem, no press, no fuss.
3) Remove the races in the frame with a 12" long drift (like a chisel). Make sure the edges of the drift arn't chamfered, grind the end flat so you have a nice sharp edge. Mine popped out pretty easy. I've read some people have great luck with taking a mig welder and welding a small bead on the race. This makes the race contract and it's easy to pop out. Sounds neat.
4) I took a brass drift and tapped the new races into the steering head.

• motocross10113

Posted July 17, 2006 - 09:45 AM

Yeah usally you have to cut the bottom off thats what i have always done. No harm done just watch what your doing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.