04 Wr450f

15 replies to this topic
  • screamingjimmy

Posted July 13, 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hey Guys, I just bought a 2004 WR450F. I have been doing lots of research. My last bike was a XR650L. I figured this bike would have lots of power and snap. I have not riden it yet, since it is at home and since I am working 4 hours from home I will be hopefully taking it for a spin friday night. I am about 6' tall and 220ibs so it should be the right size for me. I realize that my 650 had only 8.3:1 compression and this baby has 12.5:1 with a shorter stroke engine for higher reving power.

So my question to you guys is what is the proper way to ride these High Performance machines? Are these bikes made to be riden hard or are they low end torque monsters like the 650s? I was pretty dissappointed with my 650 since the center of gravity is too high which made it hard to ride in summer-fallowed fields. And the 650 didn't really have that much juice. My main use for this bike will be ripping down dirt roads and trails. Not really many hills here in saskatchewan. What do you figure?

Should I be running 91octane?

• MTrowbridge

Posted July 13, 2006 - 11:56 AM

The bike will be much lighter and nimble than your XR650 was. Power will be stronger in the rev curve, but remember that it's still 200 cc smaller...

Tip, at 220 lbs you'll need to put some turns on the rear shock...and later you may want to purchase heavier springs for the front forks.

Just put in some seat time, and you'll get the feel for it. It's a great bike, and you'll enjoy riding it.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted July 13, 2006 - 12:34 PM

91 octane is a must as well as the free mods.

• internetguy

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:12 PM

I never rode a 650XR but I did have a 600XR and my WR450 is way faster. I'm still getting used to short shifting, but man does it haul when you cane it. Definitely more flickable in the tight stuff as well.

Mine is tastefully and fully modded; I have not ridden a corked 450. Love the suspension also- it's like butter when set for your weight. E-start rules but it'll fire in one or two kicks also-- and no dang start sequence like a big Honda to get it lit up.

I liked my 600, but the WR450 is way more advanced, and for me at least- way more fun in every way.

You'll love the beast.

Regards-

Neil.

• screamingjimmy

Posted July 14, 2006 - 06:32 AM

Well tonight I will get to take my first ride so I am pretty pumped.

As for the free mods, somewhere on this forum I read that the Canadian WRs have the air box baffles already removed, the YZ throttle stop, a larger exhaust baffle, and the grey wire is already cut.

So it should have lots of snap I am hoping!

Again though, my question is should I be driving it really hard in the upper RPMs or low end torqueing it?

• Dube2

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:15 AM

the WR loves the low RPM technical stuff, but the high R's are not bad, just not recommended. that motor will last forever..... :ride:

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:22 AM

As for the free mods, somewhere on this forum I read that the Canadian WRs have the air box baffles already removed, the YZ throttle stop, a larger exhaust baffle, and the grey wire is already cut.

So it should have lots of snap I am hoping!

Again though, my question is should I be driving it really hard in the upper RPMs or low end torqueing it?

Yes my 04' Canadian did not come with US spec bs, no grey wire, no throttle stop, the stock exhaust was better than the US as far as flow but still very restrictive and very, very heavy.

You can ride these bikes all day long anywhere in the power curve you want, they will rev like a 2 stroke and chug along like any thumper, probably not the tractor your XR was but it will get the job done in first gear every time.

Most important! - Stay ontop of the oil changes, every third ride atleast change your oil with a non friction modified oil, there alot of them out there I use the Maxima semi synthetic, I think a Semi Synthetic is probably best. Change your oil filter atleast every third oil change :ride:

Your 04' has titanium valves, get the clearances checked and adjusted as needed a couple times per year, this is something you can do with a manual and good mechanical aptitude!

• drewpeacock

Posted July 14, 2006 - 05:35 PM

I hated my 04 when I first got it due to the suspension. At 200lbs this bike was way too soft for me and trying to stiffen it up only helped a little. I ended up shelling out $700 to the suspension shop to add heavier springs and revalve it. Now I love the bike and would do it again in a heart beat. just my 2 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rushfan

Posted July 15, 2006 - 07:42 AM

91 octane is a must as well as the free mods.

91 octane as well as new fuel always. From my own experience, these 5 valve engines are fussy with old fuel.

• JimdogWR450

Posted July 15, 2006 - 08:23 AM

Congrats on your new purchase.. I'm sure you will love the power and the light feel of your WR as compared to your XR. Remember these bikes are set up for 165/170 pound riders so some spring upgrades will be in order, in dew time.. And plenty of cool mods to increase the already awesome power band... Have fun man...

• screamingjimmy

Posted July 15, 2006 - 08:55 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the help. This bike is insane!!!

I've been riding it constantly since last night. It runs great at all rpms. I can do some pretty sweet wheelies in first and second gear without even trying. As for the suspension, it seems to be perfect as is, i am pretty sure it was adjusted for someone my size.

I am still in shock and awe, i've never driven a bike with so much juice that you can't keep it on wide-open throttle for the sake of your life!

As far as for the summer-fallowed fields, it runs like a dream in them. My XR had the problem of too high of a center of gravity(and I was alot younger also at the time), but this bike drives the way I want it too. It is very easy to drive.

Thanks for your help, I'm going riding again!

Justin

• JimdogWR450

Posted July 15, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Have fun man :ride: :ride:

• screamingjimmy

Posted July 16, 2006 - 06:11 AM

The bike has been running great, yesterday I was going along real good and the baffle blew out of my pipe. So I unbolted it and I am running without. The bike sounds even more wicked now. The bike has even more power now!

They say if I remove the baffle that I will have to rejet. I am wondering about that because it is running perfect as is?

• odonnks

Posted July 16, 2006 - 06:56 AM

Any increase in exhaust flow will be lean'er than before.
It may have been jetted previously. You'll know when your riding.

Do you know what jetting is in it now?

• screamingjimmy

Posted July 16, 2006 - 11:44 AM

I do not have a clue, I might have to peel the carb off and take a look. I guess I should probably buy a jet kit(I am assuming most riders on this forum probably have a set).

• drewpeacock

Posted July 16, 2006 - 01:57 PM

I do not have a clue, I might have to peel the carb off and take a look. I guess I should probably buy a jet kit(I am assuming most riders on this forum probably have a set).

JD makes the kit you'll need.
You'll still need to buy a couple of jets though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.