switching from a xr400 to a 650r

12 replies to this topic
  • x400r

Posted July 13, 2006 - 05:15 AM

has anyone gone from a xr400 to a 650r? r u glad that you did? did you ever look back?

• resslera

Posted July 13, 2006 - 05:22 AM

I went from a Suzuki DR350 (very similar to the XR400 is handling, speed, power, size) to the 650R and for the most part never looked back. The only thing I miss is the tamer manner of my old 350 compared to the 650. It was very easy to ride in slow crappy stuff where the 650 is tall and a little more jumpy. Nothing can compare power wise though to the 650 which is why I bought the bike. It's a blast. I doubt you will miss the 400 much.

• creeky

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:12 AM

Get a membership at the local gym, the 650 feels reasonably light until you have to pick it up out of a mudhole.

• Desertskyy

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:19 AM

I went from a Suzuki DR350 (very similar to the XR400 is handling, speed, power, size) to the 650R and for the most part never looked back. The only thing I miss is the tamer manner of my old 350 compared to the 650. It was very easy to ride in slow crappy stuff where the 650 is tall and a little more jumpy. Nothing can compare power wise though to the 650 which is why I bought the bike. It's a blast. I doubt you will miss the 400 much.

I was in the same boat. Went from a DR 350 to a XR650R and do not regret it one bit. I ride mostly desert so the 350 was a little short on power. I really think it matters what type of riding you are doing. For open class riding the 650R is a blast to ride. See if you can hitch a ride on one and experience the fun factor.

good luck

• pigryder

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:29 AM

has anyone gone from a xr400 to a 650r? r u glad that you did? did you ever look back?

I did... I bought a new 03 xr400 and sold it after 6 months not because anything was wrong with it, but I was previously looking at the 650r and thought it might be too much and a friend wanted to buy my 400 so I sold it bought a new xr650r and never looked back, and the 400 I sold is at my house and I got on it a couple of weeks ago and thought boy Im glad I got the 650r :ride:

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:32 AM

I had a '96 XR4 and then moved on to a '00 650R. The XR4 has grunt, but the 650R has grunt and arm stretching power and a top end that will scare the sh*t out of you. Overall on my STOCK suspended bikes, the 650R felt better balanced and handled better than the XR4. This allows the 650R to hide it's weight difference as compared to the XR4, until you get it leaned over a bit to far. Either bike is a handful on super tight trails if you are really trying to push them, that's why 200cc 2-smokes and 250cc thumpers are so popular for the tight-tights.

Overall, the 650R feels and rides like any other XR, just with more power, and a bit better stock suspension. They have a few cheap little problems that are easily fixed, but overall, just as bullet proof with the exception of the radiators. I still kinda wish I had kept my old '87 XR200 and '96 XR400 along with my '00 XR650R, but I wouldn't trade my 650R for anything. Once you go big bore, you can never really go back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Agent2

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:37 AM

Yes. Loved the 400 except on those long straightaways I was always trying to up shift to a higher gear to go faster and it wasn't there. With the 650 it is there - and it is fun.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:47 AM

Damn dude, you must have had a super trick DR! I had one I unfortunately put about a gagillion dollars into, all thrick stuff, pretty much everything available for the DR back then but never switched the suspension, and it was no where near to a stock XR400R except for it was faster than a stock XR400R. I rode an XR400R which was kinda tricked out, and it was lighter, faster and handled way way better. I did love my DR though, it was great everywhere but on the MX track, but hey, it wasn't an MXER!

• muctar

Posted July 13, 2006 - 11:33 AM

Creeky is right, its all fun and games till you have to pick it up or put a leg down in a nose washout in a creek--hang on!!!! You can not replace the POWER though. Buy-it and you will luv-it. 2001 XR650R, plated,uncorked,bajaed and not enough time to RIDE.

• resslera

Posted July 13, 2006 - 12:40 PM

My DR350 definitely had more top end speed than the 400 as I rode close with some in the past. Riding both I just felt they were very similar bikes. My 350 had the Vortex airbox, rejetted accordingly etc. which opened it up a bit. Every time I see the DR350 I can't help thinking what good looking bike it was. Simple as hell, and NEVER had a single problem with that bike. Absolutely bullet proof for me.

• skyriver

Posted July 13, 2006 - 08:40 PM

In my experience the main difference is the rolling throttle of 350/400s. You can roll it open quite a ways on a 400 and life doesn't move too fast. I break it to 1/4 throttle on my 650R and life speeds up really FAST. I haven't lost my grip and been bucked off yet, but I've come close. The tight stuff can be an adventure if you're not careful w/ the throttle. Would I trade it for something else? No way. The adrenaline rush is why I ride and the 650R provides plenty of it. If tight trails is your deal though, I would look at a WR450 or CRF450X. I love my 650R, but the tight stuff kicks my butt. As fast and sporty as they are, they're still 300+ lbs. Good luck.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 13, 2006 - 09:03 PM

My DR350 definitely had more top end speed than the 400 as I rode close with some in the past. Riding both I just felt they were very similar bikes. My 350 had the Vortex airbox, rejetted accordingly etc. which opened it up a bit. Every time I see the DR350 I can't help thinking what good looking bike it was. Simple as hell, and NEVER had a single problem with that bike. Absolutely bullet proof for me.

My DR was a 1991, it had
Cycle Gear Magic Airbox
Mikuni 31mm flatslide carb
Porting
Bigbore kit (410cc) or something like that, it was a long time ago!
Cam
Cobra race exhaust
CDI hot box
and Excell rims (blue) ooohhh, sweet!
MT21s
stainless spokes
RM hubs
revalved front and rear suspension
progressive front springs
and I deleted everything that was not needed, mine came as a DR350S, took all the street stuff except for the headlight and taillight/blinkers.
The thing ripped, but then I realized after putting all that stuff inot the motor I remembered it was too fast for the stock suspension stock!

Actually, it probably was allot faster than a stock XR400R, definitely at midrange and top end, but it had no off idle snap like the XRs. Even not as much as an XR250R with a pipe!

I have two XR660Rs now, a supermoto Ive been building little by little, and a new one I just got from a friend whichis a project so I love big bore off idle rage!

I feel the old addage applies here to th max, you can't beat cubic inches.

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 14, 2006 - 03:16 AM

In my experience the main difference is the rolling throttle of 350/400s. You can roll it open quite a ways on a 400 and life doesn't move too fast. I break it to 1/4 throttle on my 650R and life speeds up really FAST. I haven't lost my grip and been bucked off yet, but I've come close...

Ahhh, so true. I've noticed that myself. Unless you are being a hoodlum on the street doing 90mph, you will find that you rarely exceed 1/4 throttle opening. There are other bikes that make more peak HP, but few bikes make as much power of such a wide range.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.