oils?

17 replies to this topic
  • xr650r_Maine

Posted July 12, 2006 - 11:12 PM

What oil and filter do you use for the BRP (650R)? Im not to sure what is the best oil and filter, need info Thanks

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 13, 2006 - 03:43 AM

Use the disposable Honda oil filter, or equivalent. As for oils, there are a million different answers. In general, use a 4-stroke MOTORCYLE oil rather than automotive. You can get away with either, but the motorcycle oil will be better for your clutch/tranny.

Regular vs. synthetic, who knows, how much do you want to spend? I like the Honda GN4 non-synthetic, ~$3 a qt., half the price of synthetic and I just change it often.

I can tell a difference in how smooth the bike shifts with the Honda GN4 as compared to the Castrol GTX automotive oil I used to use.

In the end, it doesn't really matter that much. Just keep the oil, oil filter and air filter fresh and your bike will love you.

• xr650r_Maine

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:50 AM

Use the disposable Honda oil filter, or equivalent. As for oils, there are a million different answers. In general, use a 4-stroke MOTORCYLE oil rather than automotive. You can get away with either, but the motorcycle oil will be better for your clutch/tranny.

Regular vs. synthetic, who knows, how much do you want to spend? I like the Honda GN4 non-synthetic, ~$3 a qt., half the price of synthetic and I just change it often.

I can tell a difference in how smooth the bike shifts with the Honda GN4 as compared to the Castrol GTX automotive oil I used to use.

In the end, it doesn't really matter that much. Just keep the oil, oil filter and air filter fresh and your bike will love you.

I wanna run synthetic M/C oil but which is a good brand? hmm. I will change over when I get the BRP broken in, I have only 2 miles on it, Maing a dual sport out of it... Thanks

• cleonard

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:57 AM

I used to run synthetic M/C oils. Any of them will be fine. I got tired of paying $9 a quart for it. I've changed to running 15W-40 Rotella at $8 a gallon. It seems to hold up better than the Honda GN4! There is a "synthetic" version that is only $14 a gallon or so.

Most so called synthetic oils are just more highly refined dino oil.

• captb

Posted July 13, 2006 - 09:07 AM

I allways run Mobile1 15/50 Gold Cap (due to AZ heat most of the time) it has been excellent, no clutch issues due to Moly (not M/C specific oil) and others I know using it have had no issues, cost more but results so far are good no metal chips in my filter 1500 miles since previous oil change mostly street miles with the desert heat here lately, oil level only dropped 1 inch on the dip stick, my street bike goes 4000 mile intervals and the oil level is just below the full mark and the oil still looks decent after 4k miles (XX with 35K Miles on it), I have heard good results with Rottela and DelVac and it cost less, WalMart used to carry M1 Gold Cap for around 23.00 (5 QT jug) but no more here, I bought 10 qts (that does my 2 bikes and car) last night at AutoZone they had a special 5 QTs and a decent Mobile 1 filter for 35.00, if the temps weren't so extreme here I would run DelVac or Rottela , I've seen my friend drain his oil on a 115 degree day (in da shade)here and the Dino 10/40 oil came out like blackwater (UGGGLY) on the good side it drained very fast......Just my 2 cents

• dennisthe

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:41 PM

Heyah Mainah,

I run Castrol 20-50 and bought a dozen filters from my local NAPA store, I think they're Emglo and I have one left. . Have over 7K on my pig, still running strong. I did just pick up some Mobil 1 on sale that I'll try on the next change.

Where you located?

• justicedone

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:06 PM

I use Honda filters and Mobil 1 full synthetic, it runs way cooler with good synthetic oil.

I ride an L but am sure the difference is the same reg vs synth

• xr650r_Maine

Posted July 13, 2006 - 07:31 PM

Heyah Mainah,

I run Castrol 20-50 and bought a dozen filters from my local NAPA store, I think they're Emglo and I have one left. . Have over 7K on my pig, still running strong. I did just pick up some Mobil 1 on sale that I'll try on the next change.

Where you located?

Hey Mainah what up? Limington huh thats not to far from me Berwick, Just up the road from Torno`s Artic Cat(rt 202). Whats the parts # for the filters from Napa? I am thinking Mobil 1 but I do believe they make one for M/C`s thats what I am leaning on right now. :ride:

• rcnutt

Posted July 13, 2006 - 08:40 PM

scotts stainless filter and royal purple 20/50

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted July 14, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Stainless filter and Honda GN-4 oil. I used to use Castrol GTX 20-50W but concur that shifting feels better.

• creeky

Posted July 14, 2006 - 07:18 AM

Years ago I used Kendall 20-50 in my XRs, then switched to Castrol 20-50 in about '92, OEM Honda filters, never had an oil-related problem. I changed recently to the new Castrol 20-50 JASO 4 rated synthetic, shifting seems smoother, oil doesn't look as cruddy when drained.

• bigtooth

Posted July 14, 2006 - 08:02 AM

My manual says to use a 10-40 oil, I figure if its a 10-40 motorcyle oil its fine to use.. Why does everyone use such heavy oils like 20-50, am I missing something? I always use the oem filters, a new one every oil change.

• roadcam

Posted July 14, 2006 - 11:44 AM

SCOTT'S stainless steel oil filter, and MOBIL DELVAC 15-40 diesel oil ... :ride:

• frankstr

Posted July 14, 2006 - 09:12 PM

Look at all the different brands used...it all does the same job,lubricate and help cool the engine and it all works,regardless of brand...
Bottom line is to keep it clean and changed on a regular basis..... :ride:

Oh yeah..I use Torco full synthetic in my BRP and K&N oil filters...... :ride:

• dennisthe

Posted July 15, 2006 - 09:57 AM

Napa number is 4944 and I got a good deal on the dozen. How are you liking the pig in the tight trails?

To respond to your other question about the NE Classic in Loudon, it is a dual sport ride. This June was interesting. Saturday was so wet and muddy, very challenging and many dropped out after lunch. Sunday was still wet and muddy but not much rain which helped visibility. All the mud ate what remained of my front and rear pads and rotors and also my chain and sprockets - the front sprocket only had nubs on the last few miles... Make sure you try it next year -good ride.

Noble Woods is coming up Aug 12 & 13th, you going?

• xr650r_Maine

Posted July 15, 2006 - 11:25 AM

Napa number is 4944 and I got a good deal on the dozen. How are you liking the pig in the tight trails?

To respond to your other question about the NE Classic in Loudon, it is a dual sport ride. This June was interesting. Saturday was so wet and muddy, very challenging and many dropped out after lunch. Sunday was still wet and muddy but not much rain which helped visibility. All the mud ate what remained of my front and rear pads and rotors and also my chain and sprockets - the front sprocket only had nubs on the last few miles... Make sure you try it next year -good ride.

Noble Woods is coming up Aug 12 & 13th, you going?

Thanks for the part#`s. Oh and as far as riding it I have 0 miles on it, I am doing some work to it like uncorking, shop is hooking up Baja Designs lighting Tuesday, I put in 2x125 stator, Dunlop 130/18 606/Perelli mt18 dot tire,Clark 4.3 tank,47kg/11.5 springs.Kinda sucks not being able to ride. I hav`nt had a dirt bike in awhile. That Nobile event is real close to me I might go and watch, Is this a race event or just a ride get together? Maybe you can show me around some. Is yours street legal? :ride:

• dennisthe

Posted July 17, 2006 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the part#`s. Oh and as far as riding it I have 0 miles on it, I am doing some work to it like uncorking, shop is hooking up Baja Designs lighting Tuesday, I put in 2x125 stator, Dunlop 130/18 606/Perelli mt18 dot tire,Clark 4.3 tank,47kg/11.5 springs.Kinda sucks not being able to ride. I hav`nt had a dirt bike in awhile. That Nobile event is real close to me I might go and watch, Is this a race event or just a ride get together? Maybe you can show me around some. Is yours street legal? :thumbsup:

This was my first bike in ages too. How old are you, height/size? You'll find there is quite the learning curve with a bike this size especially in the tight stuff. I had the D606 frt and rear when I first bought mine. After my first turkey run in Vt I realized the traction really wasn't there. I went back to the stock tires and then D756 in the frt and D739A desert in the rear. Much better. Keeping the frt at around 10-12 psi helps it stick too.

Turkey runs really aren't races. Its more informal, no times kept, no prizes awarded. Start around 9 ish and finish when you do. Anywhere from 100 riders at small events, 200-300 at Noble woods, and almost 600 at NE Classic in Loudon. All street legal bikes...well they all have plates :ride:

Mine is mostly stock with a BD kit, uncorked, and I just ordered the Edelbrock carb for better throttle response, power, and easier starting. Taller handlebars are next. There are a couple of good websites out there for the pig, with one run by a guy named Eric from around Augusta. http://www.xr650r.us/
Read up and prep your bike accordingly including tightening bolts, greasing linkage and bearings, and learn its quirks. Once you get used to the bike, you'll love it.

Oh yeah, got all your safety gear?

• xr650r_Maine

Posted July 17, 2006 - 08:53 PM

This was my first bike in ages too. How old are you, height/size? You'll find there is quite the learning curve with a bike this size especially in the tight stuff. I had the D606 frt and rear when I first bought mine. After my first turkey run in Vt I realized the traction really wasn't there. I went back to the stock tires and then D756 in the frt and D739A desert in the rear. Much better. Keeping the frt at around 10-12 psi helps it stick too.

Turkey runs really aren't races. Its more informal, no times kept, no prizes awarded. Start around 9 ish and finish when you do. Anywhere from 100 riders at small events, 200-300 at Noble woods, and almost 600 at NE Classic in Loudon. All street legal bikes...well they all have plates :ride:

Mine is mostly stock with a BD kit, uncorked, and I just ordered the Edelbrock carb for better throttle response, power, and easier starting. Taller handlebars are next. There are a couple of good websites out there for the pig, with one run by a guy named Eric from around Augusta. http://www.xr650r.us/
Read up and prep your bike accordingly including tightening bolts, greasing linkage and bearings, and learn its quirks. Once you get used to the bike, you'll love it.

Oh yeah, got all your safety gear?

:cry: You have a PM. :thumbsup:
Let me know how the carb works and how much? I have been thinking about the same thing but I was wondering how the FCR 41MM race carb would work or if it would fit the rubber boots.What bars are you thinking? At ADVRIDER there is a group buy on a tripple clamp rubber mounted etc, I just ttt for ya to see and read.
I have some gear Tech 8 boots,chest protector,fox pants,helmet could use some nice gloves thou. :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.