You Gotta Be Kidding Me!

28 replies to this topic
  • J_DOGG

Posted August 01, 2006 - 10:16 AM

Talk about getting the shock of my life...I too thought I blew my bike up...

I however was on ICE when mine went missing.
I was in the middle of the lake and had to push it home... It's hard to push a bike when you are standing on ice with sneakers on and the tires have 1/2 inch spikes......and the boat ramp is covered in crusty snow.

Disclaimer: I ride the ice with sneakers on cuz I can feel the release point way better than if I ride with boots. I don't race I just do it for fun.

Replaced with the TT aftermarket plug and have been good to go since...

• gregwr450f

Posted August 01, 2006 - 02:26 PM

So, what you are saying is...

One day, my 2004 WR450 will just decide to eject this plug, even though it has over 1000 miles on it? :thumbsup:

Mine has over 7000kms around 4,500miles at a guess and my plug is still fine, probably fall out day I guess.

• Bullwinkle

Posted August 02, 2006 - 03:45 PM

I hope I dont sound like an idiot when I say, What plug are we talking about. I have an 02 wr426, but I have never heard of this potential issue with the wr's. I have 1300 mi on mine.

I don't know if the '02's have this issue, but I guess if the bike doesn't have a compression release lever (not the hot start lever, that's different) then you are effected. Look right above the exhaust manifold (like an inch). If there's a circular protrusion on the side of the head (facing forward) with a set screw sticking out to the right - see what's in the forward facing opening at the front of that protrusion. If it feels like rubber or soft plastic you may want to shore it up.
:thumbsup:

• Soapy

Posted August 03, 2006 - 01:55 AM

The 426's have the decompression system in place of the hole that is sealed up with rubber grommets on 03 and upwards.
Yes I agree the rubber gromet is shite but I would check that your engine breather hose isn't blocked as this could cause an increase in pressure, causing the plug to exit

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msgbean

Posted August 03, 2006 - 02:30 PM

I have an 03 and it has never came out but when my buddy lost his on his YZ a couple of years ago I thought I should do something to prevent it. I took a small piece of tin and bent it into an L shape and attached it using the small screw that is on the side of it. Therefore it holds it in.

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted August 03, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Nope. No plug after '04.

So on my '04 YZ 450 you guys suggest changing out this plastic plug for the aluminum one from the TT store?

Dirty

• Irregular Pulse

Posted August 04, 2006 - 05:43 AM

can someone post a picture where this is located?

• jerryls

Posted August 05, 2006 - 11:56 AM

can someone post a picture where this is located?

It's located above where the exhaust header attaches to the cylinder. I didn't know either until about an hour ago. Finished changing my oil and fired the bike up. Clouds of smoke start coming off and oil is dripping from the front of the cylinder. Thank God this happened in my driveway. If it happened while I was out riding, I would have been completely screwed.

Jerry

Update: 18mm steel freeze plug was 81 cents at CarQuest. Fit perfect.

• 04WR450F

Posted September 07, 2006 - 07:07 PM

I have an 03 and it has never came out but when my buddy lost his on his YZ a couple of years ago I thought I should do something to prevent it. I took a small piece of tin and bent it into an L shape and attached it using the small screw that is on the side of it. Therefore it holds it in.

This is what I'm going to do. Can someone tell me if removing and re-installing the bolt next to the "plug" will have any adverse effects. Is it an adjustment for anything or can I just remove it, install the retaining bracket and re-install the bolt? Paranoid? Yeah, a little.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.