You Gotta Be Kidding Me!

28 replies to this topic
  • Bullwinkle

Posted July 12, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Forgive my ranting.
Got the new '04 WR450 a few weeks ago. Picked it up on Saturday, rode it for the first time Sunday morning. Came back with a right boot covered in oil. (And a heck of a cloud every time I stopped.) Well, I didn't know about all the great information here at TT at the time, so I took it back to the local Yammy dealer. While they had the bike I discovered TT and searched and found all the posts about the decomp plugs and what pieces of crap they are. So I ordered a plug from the TT store. The dealer had the bike for a week, which wasn't a big deal because the TT plug wasn't here yet anyway. Went riding this afternoon, the first real ride since getting the bike back. And guess what, so much for the new plug. (I stupidly thought since the new plug was on there I'd wait for it to come loose before replacing it with the TT plug. Yea, I know - I'm a moron.) But all this isn't what has me ranting. The first time the plug came out I never saw it. This time it was kinda half hanging in the hole. WHAT A COMPLETE JOKE THIS THING IS. I know they come out, but I was certainly expecting to see something a little more robust that what I have in my hand. (Which is nothing more than a plastic cap atop about a 3mm sleeve.) Somebody please tell me there's more to this thing I just haven't dug out yet, because it's hard to believe that any manufacturer would consider this as a working solution.
Rant over. :ride:

• glenw

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Nope what you currently hold is some suits idea of a great fix. :p :ride: :banana: .
So far I have only lost mine once ($1.96 part) but what a pain in the :ride: to clean that oil off the back of the rad and the boot.
My TT decomp plug will be on the way soon :ride:
Glen

• johnnyjeep

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:30 PM

is this plug something us 06 owners need to worry about? I reaally dont want to start worring about more potential problems.

John in Vegas

• tony1970

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:48 PM

is this plug something us 06 owners need to worry about? I reaally dont want to start worring about more potential problems.

John in Vegas

Nope. No plug after '04.

• johnnyjeep

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:52 PM

good
thanks

John in Vegas

• SPLATT

Posted July 13, 2006 - 12:43 AM

If you go to an engine rebuilder you could get an 18mm steel or brass oil galley plug for next to nothing and it will seal off the hole as well as the overpriced TT plug.

Steve

• FeliX 450

Posted July 13, 2006 - 12:58 PM

i have only lost my plug once and never had anyproblems again! And the funny thing is after i repaced the "lost plug", when i was cleaning my bike from all the oil there was on it, my old plug was right on top of my skidplate lol :ride: :ride: :banana: :ride:

• ARin

Posted July 13, 2006 - 01:12 PM

someone said "overpriced"...but the TT plug is a well machined piece, and work VERY well. I had the stock plug ruin a perfectly good Dune ride a year ago.

and yes, it is insane that yamaha considered that plastic thing to be a viable solution.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 13, 2006 - 01:59 PM

So, what you are saying is...

One day, my 2004 WR450 will just decide to eject this plug, even though it has over 1000 miles on it? :ride:

• Bullwinkle

Posted July 13, 2006 - 03:03 PM

So, what you are saying is...

One day, my 2004 WR450 will just decide to eject this plug, even though it has over 1000 miles on it? :ride:

Of course I didn't even get ten miles out of either of mine. :ride: But I'd go ahead and replace it anyway. It's cheap insurance. When (or even if) it does come off you have a direct passageway into the engine. As long as the bikes running of course the pressure is outward (you can see the oily mist spewing out of the hole when you rev the bike) so probably nothing is getting in. But if I'm out splashing through the mud when it decides to take a hike, or if I haven't noticed it's gone yet and I stall it in some nasty stuff.....
Searching this subject turns up guys who had their bikes longer then you before theirs came off.
And I agree with ARin - you could probably jury rig something but why would you? This is a quality part not to mention that supporting the TT store helps to keep this site here.
:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 31, 2006 - 08:00 AM

What does the original plug look like? Does it have a metal endcap? or is it completely rubber?

• trailordune

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:59 AM

yes, my 04 blew it's plug out yesterday with 2000 miles. just ordered the TT plug. hard to beat a nice $22 fix shipped to your door.

• SPLATT

Posted July 31, 2006 - 12:10 PM

And I agree with ARin - you could probably jury rig something but why would you? This is a quality part not to mention that supporting the TT store helps to keep this site here.
:thumbsup:

Nothing jury rigged about my method. It's been a time tested method of plugging oil passages in engines for years. I just can't justify spending $22 on a glorified metal plug when I can get something that works equally as well for less than a buck. Maybe I just don't care about the "BLING" factor.

Steve

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 31, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Again :thumbsup:
What does the original plug look like WHEN ITS INSTALLED? Does it have a metal endcap? or is it completely rubber?

• Bullwinkle

Posted July 31, 2006 - 01:49 PM

Again :thumbsup:
What does the original plug look like WHEN ITS INSTALLED? Does it have a metal endcap? or is it completely rubber?

From the outside all you see looks like black plastic that's flush with the hole. Once off you see there is actually a metal backing to the flat circular surface. That sits on top of a little less than 3mm sleeve.

• Bullwinkle

Posted July 31, 2006 - 01:57 PM

yes, my 04 blew it's plug out yesterday with 2000 miles. just ordered the TT plug. hard to beat a nice $22 fix shipped to your door.

Next time I'm going to get a some aluminum billet and a lathe!

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 31, 2006 - 02:31 PM

From the outside all you see looks like black plastic that's flush with the hole. Once off you see there is actually a metal backing to the flat circular surface. That sits on top of a little less than 3mm sleeve.

From the outside, i see a metallic plug. It's shiny, kinda like a cadmium plated part. I dont think it's original, and i'm wondering if my engine already has something installed in place of the original plug (i didnt buy the bike new).

Should i take a picture? or can someone tell me what plug i might have?

• Bullwinkle

Posted July 31, 2006 - 05:00 PM

From the outside, i see a metallic plug. It's shiny, kinda like a cadmium plated part. I dont think it's original, and i'm wondering if my engine already has something installed in place of the original plug (i didnt buy the bike new).

Sounds like somebody already fixed you up.

• SPDFRK450

Posted August 01, 2006 - 07:56 AM

I hope I dont sound like an idiot when I say, What plug are we talking about. I have an 02 wr426, but I have never heard of this potential issue with the wr's. I have 1300 mi on mine.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted August 01, 2006 - 10:09 AM

OOPS !!! i just cleaned and checked that plug more thoroughly. It's a black rubber plug :thumbsup: . I guess i can either make a aluminum stop for it, or get a TT plug.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.