Swingarm grooving...

19 replies to this topic
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted July 12, 2006 - 08:29 AM

I know that this is probably a tired subject, and I tried to look at Grayracer's fix but my work blocks his site, although I understand what he's doing, but can I simply buy a TM chain slider and be done. Will that solve the problem or will it still allow the swingarm to wear? I understand that the TM slider wears really well, but what about the swingarm? Is it a solution to the problem or is Grayracer's steel shim the only true fix? I have no idea where I can get stainless steel sheet from around here. Where are you guys getting your stuff?

Sorry for the Newb question, this is my first Yamaha! :ride:

Anyone know who makes yellow replacement plastics for this thing? I can't find anyone that makes them. :ride:

• barch88

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:43 AM

TM Slider won't show any wear on the swingarm. The TM one has the foam all the way across it unlike the stock, the stock just has it in the middle so it wears around that. (At least that's what I noticed).

• DPW

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:51 AM

The chain slider problem....what I did was simply cut a piece of old inner tube and glue it to the swingarm under the slider.

There is a brand new set of One Industries Yellow plastic on ebay...

• andy250

Posted July 12, 2006 - 12:08 PM

Anyone know who makes yellow replacement plastics for this thing? I can't find anyone that makes them. :ride:

Acerbis does. BTO sports has 3 sets in stock

http://www.btosports.com/p/AC1574Y

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2006 - 03:05 PM

RB,

If you PM me an e-mail address, I can send the pictures and text to you.

A TM slider does also cure the problem, but costs more than the $4 and 20 minutes I spent on my solution. The inner tube under the slider thing also works, but has some technical disavantages, IMO.

Let me know if I can help.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 12, 2006 - 03:07 PM

RB,

If you PM me an e-mail address, I can send the pictures and text to you.

A TM slider does also cure the problem, but costs more than the $4 and 20 minutes I spent on my solution. The inner tube under the slider thing also works, but has some technical disavantages, IMO.

Let me know if I can help.

I appreciate it but your explanation of the fix in another thread was enough for me to understand. I just have no idea where I would get some stainless sheet metal from around here. Does Home Dept or a place like that have it?

I just wish I had a justified reason to change the chain guide, that thing is ugly!

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2006 - 07:52 PM

I got mine from an industrial metals supply house in San Diego. They have a scrap rack in the front where I found it. Cheap, too. One of the big towns in the middle of AZ should have a place like that. I have some left over if you can't find any.

• jamiehughes

Posted July 12, 2006 - 08:02 PM

that blue tm chainslider does look real good on my 06. my stock one wasn't showing any wear but i figured why wait until i had a problem... plus did i mention that the blue does look really good. it's only $80 bucks. you just spent $6500 or better on something you are gonna pound into the ground for a couple of years. thats chump change for piece of mind and maintenance issues.. IMO :ride:

• barch88

Posted July 12, 2006 - 08:35 PM

IMO, if you spend $7,000 on a bike it should need nothing, but we all know that's not how it works. I did a fix to it, but then I read that the slider needs to slide back and forth a bit, so now Im just running it stock, it's not wearing, so all is good for now, if I notice wear then I will buy a TM.

• mjslim

Posted July 12, 2006 - 10:01 PM

I just have no idea where I would get some stainless sheet metal from around here.

Try www.mcmaster.com and type in "page 3464" in the search box. You can order online and have it on your doorstep in a day or two. McMaster-Carr is kind of like the Seven-Eleven for fabricators and engineers - have lots of cool commercial stuff available in small quantites that you can't normally find in your local hardware store. Check it out, if your a serious tinkerer, you can't live without it. They also have a lot of practical info in the catalog - click on the link " For information about stainless steel alloys" to get a little understanding of what your choices are :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted July 12, 2006 - 10:46 PM

Try www.mcmaster.com and type in "page 3464" in the search box. You can order online and have it on your doorstep in a day or two. McMaster-Carr is kind of like the Seven-Eleven for fabricators and engineers - have lots of cool commercial stuff available in small quantites that you can't normally find in your local hardware store. Check it out, if your a serious tinkerer, you can't live without it. They also have a lot of practical info in the catalog - click on the link " For information about stainless steel alloys" to get a little understanding of what your choices are :ride:

I love that place, but it is so hard to find the exact item sometimes. Please don't tell me you went through all those pages... :ride:

• MotoGoalie

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:06 AM

Try www.mcmaster.com and type in "page 3464" in the search box. You can order online and have it on your doorstep in a day or two. McMaster-Carr is kind of like the Seven-Eleven for fabricators and engineers - have lots of cool commercial stuff available in small quantites that you :

What an EPIC website. I bet wives all across the US now want to slap you for what that website will do to visa cards and garages....of those of us who now have placed giant orders. :ride:

• mjslim

Posted July 13, 2006 - 08:26 AM

I love that place, but it is so hard to find the exact item sometimes. Please don't tell me you went through all those pages... :ride:

Didn't go thru all the pages this time, already knew what I was looking for. But I just about have the darn thing memorized - I use it almost daily at work.
What I wanted to point out is that for each material like stainless, aluminum, etc., there is always a one page intro that gives extremely practical info that helps you select the right material for your application. Each page in the section has a link to the "About..." page near the top. I've learned more practical stuff perusing that catalog than going to engineering school.
If you can get your hands on a hardcopy of their catalog, grab it, hoard it, and beat off any challengers with a stick - much easier to find stuff IMO using the index and flipping thru the pages.
Need metric fasteners? reuseable self-sealing washers for your oil drain bolts? Aluminum sheet to bend up a bracket? Delrin? Loctite? Epoxy? O-rings? you get the idea, it's all there and can be in your garage next day. I get wood just thinking about it........... :ride:

• mjslim

Posted July 13, 2006 - 08:31 AM

What an EPIC website. I bet wives all across the US now want to slap you for what that website will do to visa cards and garages....of those of us who now have placed giant orders. :ride:

Just tell her it's stuff for the house (not really lying)..........you'll most likely use some of it on your next house project.

• barch88

Posted July 13, 2006 - 01:28 PM

I would like to see that McMaster's warehouse!

-Mike

• Treagan

Posted July 13, 2006 - 02:04 PM

I have a 3 day old 450 SE and have followed the swingarm grooving posts and have seen the pictures, but am still alittle unclear on how the grooving is happening. Is it wearing through the stock slider quickly than to metal, or does the slider move (it seems pretty secure to me)? Please clear my ignorance. thanks

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Sand gets under the slider. The slider moves as designed. The alider becomes a defacto sanding block. Ergo, wear on the swing arm under the slider.

• barch88

Posted July 13, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Sand gets under the slider. The slider moves as designed. The alider becomes a defacto sanding block. Ergo, wear on the swing arm under the slider.

That's the worst for my bike too, my track is all sand... :ride: It's like sandpapering the swingarm!

Although, even though thats the truth...my bike has little wear from it, very little wear, just a tiny mark, not deep, not big, so Im not even bothering until I see it get larger. So far it's been the same after 4 rides. Oh, and I took that silicone fix thing I did off, after reading that it is supposed to slide. :ride:

• mjslim

Posted July 13, 2006 - 08:08 PM

The slider moves as designed.

Can someone explain the logic behind allowing the slider to move? :ride: Do other manufacturers use this design or just Yamaha?

• barch88

Posted July 13, 2006 - 08:43 PM

Can someone explain the logic behind allowing the slider to move? :ride: Do other manufacturers use this design or just Yamaha?

I suspect it moves so less wear on the slider itself happens. I looked at a Honda's and they also slide.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.