Valve/Cam pictures

5 replies to this topic
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 12, 2006 - 07:49 AM

I was checking the valves on my '00 yz426 sunday and came up with really tight measurements. Since i haven't anyone that has ever done this before i was wondering if anyone had pictures with instructions. I used the motoman instructions but am second guessing myself.

I did find pictures a couple weeks ago that went along with a few instructions but they have since been taken down.

Thanks much

• DrThumper

Posted July 12, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Its been awhile since I checked my valves, but as I recall it was pretty straight forward. I do remember that I had to pull out my long feeler guages, the short ones (like I use for spark plugs) were just too short and the hanlde was in the way.

The 2000 426 has steel valves. I did an adjustment on them once, a long time ago, then I used to check them like every 6 months for 3 years or so, and they were always in spec. I don't think I've even looked at them for over 18 months. The 01 and later models, like the CRFs have titanium valves and need to be checked, adjusted, and replaced quite often.

• DrThumper

Posted July 12, 2006 - 12:54 PM

By the way....it just isn't right, unless theres more cowbell.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2006 - 03:00 PM

This Link is for a 250F, so forget the clearance specs you see and use the ones from your manual. The pictures, though, may as well be of a 426, they are so near the same.

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 12, 2006 - 03:03 PM

Its been awhile since I checked my valves, but as I recall it was pretty straight forward. I do remember that I had to pull out my long feeler guages, the short ones (like I use for spark plugs) were just too short and the hanlde was in the way.

The 2000 426 has steel valves. I did an adjustment on them once, a long time ago, then I used to check them like every 6 months for 3 years or so, and they were always in spec. I don't think I've even looked at them for over 18 months. The 01 and later models, like the CRFs have titanium valves and need to be checked, adjusted, and replaced quite often.

I've had my '01 for 5 years now, and have only had to adjust the valves once. :ride:

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 13, 2006 - 04:19 AM

sweet, thanks grayracer. thats exactly what i was looking for.

I like pictures and those helped me to realize i did go through the procedure correctly. Unfortunately now knowing that i measured the clearance correctly now tells me that i have to re-shim the valves :ride:

more stuff that I've never done

THANKS GUYS :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.