Why is my WR faster than my neighbor's YZ?

12 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted July 11, 2006 - 05:38 PM

Neighbor let me take out his cherry '01 YZ426 after riding my well used and plated '01 WR426 and the YZ was noticebly slower than my WR426. Although the brakes and controls in general felt much tighter than those on my well worn WR, my WR not only had more low end torque but it also seemed to have more top end as well. This is surprising because my WR has none of the free mods completed yet and it even has 14/42 gearing for street use while the YZ has stock gearing. It was much harder to wheelie the YZ426 in 2nd and 3rd gear compared to 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies on my WR. Both bikes felt to be jetted correctly as well.

Is there anything that could explain why my WR is faster than his YZ?

• CRFThumper

Posted July 11, 2006 - 05:55 PM

The wr will have more bottom because of the heavier flywheel among other things such as timing! It will also be faster on top because of the wide ratio
trans hence the wr name!However the yz should spank it to about 65 or so,the wr has WAY more weight to pull around as well!As far as wheelie's the yz should be hands down winner there!Sounds like your Buddy's yz has issues!

• motoxer667

Posted July 12, 2006 - 04:23 AM

One of the other things is that the transmisisons are different. The second gear on the WR has roughly the same ratio as first gear on the YZ. That is the only one that I can remember from a Cycle News article from about 5 years ago that compared the ratios inside the transmissions of both the YZ and the WR
:ride:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted July 12, 2006 - 05:51 AM

The wr will have more bottom because of the heavier flywheel among other things such as timing! It will also be faster on top because of the wide ratio
trans hence the wr name!However the yz should spank it to about 65 or so,the wr has WAY more weight to pull around as well!As far as wheelie's the yz should be hands down winner there!Sounds like your Buddy's yz has issues!

Couldn't agree more. The YZ should be way faster until it reaches it's max top speed. Then the WR will catch up and go by...

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 12, 2006 - 05:56 AM

No. :ride:

• hartzpad

Posted July 12, 2006 - 06:13 PM

When I said that my WR has more top end than his YZ, I didn't mean in top speed, I meant in upper RPM power. It pulled harder in all gears than the YZ and the YZ didn't seem to be as easy to get the front end up. The YZ seemd to have crisp throttle response, so I don't know if there is anything wrong with it.

I can see that the grey wire on my WR is still inserted in to the plug but the airbox snorkel is missing and maybe the throttle stop was already cut down? The exhaust baffle was removed when I bought it as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 150 Fuelie

Posted July 13, 2006 - 12:50 PM

I had a 426 that didn't seem right and threw in a new plug and :ride:

• srhines67

Posted July 13, 2006 - 02:36 PM

I have an 02 YZ 426 that would spank a WR off the line. Its a hot-tempered wind-up machine. I've ridden the 01 WR and its more about torque and overall pull off of the bottom. But torque doesn't mean quickness and quickness doesn't mean a lot of pull. Its a power to weight game and the time to produce a given amount power is a factor also.

Sounds like the YZ needs a tune up.

• Jekel

Posted July 16, 2006 - 05:22 AM

I know a couple years ago my 99 WR400 spanked a 99YZ400 on a motorcrosss track. :ride: Both bikes modded well and mine prior to the yz cam upgrade. Didn't make sense to me, but after riding both bikes mine had more power over a wider range and his just had a very narrow power spread. His also had the big names aftermarket stuff?? :ride: In the woods I left YZ's all the time. And I'm not that fast, too many past encounters to ride above my level like the young ones. How did I ever make it through all the crazy stuff I used to do? :ride:

• hartzpad

Posted October 15, 2006 - 07:41 AM

Update:

Yesterday I raced my friend on his new 2004 Honda CRF450R. We did a rolling start 2nd gear through the top of 5th gear and his CRF did not pull away at all from my WR426. Same results in repeated runs. Is this abnormal? His bike is a motocross specific bike, he has 25cc on mine and his bike should weigh significantly less than my street legal, plated WR426. He has stock CRF gearing and mine is 13/47.

My WR has the throttle stop cut, grey wire mod, airbox cover gone, and baffle removed but is otherwise stock with over 11,000 miles.

Is my WR just abnormally fast or is my neighbor's YZ426 and my friend's CRF450R just not running correctly? Surely rider skill does not play a huge role in a race of acceleration.

Can anyone explain why my

• yamaslamma

Posted October 19, 2006 - 08:50 AM

Update:

Yesterday I raced my friend on his new 2004 Honda CRF450R. We did a rolling start 2nd gear through the top of 5th gear and his CRF did not pull away at all from my WR426. Same results in repeated runs. Is this abnormal? His bike is a motocross specific bike, he has 25cc on mine and his bike should weigh significantly less than my street legal, plated WR426. He has stock CRF gearing and mine is 13/47.

My WR has the throttle stop cut, grey wire mod, airbox cover gone, and baffle removed but is otherwise stock with over 11,000 miles.

Is my WR just abnormally fast or is my neighbor's YZ426 and my friend's CRF450R just not running correctly? Surely rider skill does not play a huge role in a race of acceleration.

Can anyone explain why my

It's very simple!!

He's on a hond and you are on a Yamaha!!!:thumbsdn: :excuseme: :thumbsdn::devil:

• hartzpad

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:17 AM

I have gotten 200 more views since my update and still no one wants to guess at why my WR426 seems to be faster than it should be? It doesn't feel extremely fast to me, I actually wish it has more power.

• Chaindrive

Posted October 19, 2006 - 12:17 PM

Maybe the previous owner bored and stroked it and didn't tell you?

I know from the times I motocrossed my street-legal WR that the funnest (and scariest) part was always the holeshot. I had no idea what to do when I found myself in front! :thumbsdn: Never been there before!

The first time it happened, I was just digging it too much :cry: and failed to make the first turn... :excuseme: Over the berm and into the woods... :cry:

The second time, I actually made it around the corner and over the first tabletop when one of those young +30 guys jumped right over my head! :devil:

The WR holeshots real good! :thumbsdn:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.