Replacing 01 426 fork seals

13 replies to this topic
  • seagravedriver

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:25 PM

Any special tools? A friend's 01 is leaking fork oil all over, and it needs to be done. Having never done this before, but with some mechanical ability, and an above average set of tools, is it possible for the average Joe to do? :ride: Since I have the same bike, only a 2000, and another friend has an 01, we would like to figure this out for the future. Thanks, Craig

• kid on a 426

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:31 PM

I second the fork seal question. My family is preparing to do all of our bikes

• seagravedriver

Posted July 11, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Response or no response, we are going to tear into it, probably Wed., unless there is overtime at work. I will let ya know how it goes, and try to post pics.

• FZ1426

Posted July 11, 2006 - 06:48 PM

You need a fork seal driver. I made one from pvc pipe and can do the job with some special wooden blocks and technique. It ain't easy. I've never used the commercial fork seal drivers but at about $60 they're a special tool I think might be worth it if they will adapt to different bikes (fork diameters). Basically you need something with weight behind it to drive the seals, I assume the commercial drivers have that weight, but I'm not sure.

I ended up with two equal length (about 2 feet) 2x4's (with a helper holding them together) with some cutouts to capture the fork piston and pvc driver. With the fork upside down generating the force with a hammer (with wooden block) on the bottom of the fork... good luck.

• tacoma426

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:38 PM

Try running an old credit card around and under the dust seals. Sometimes there is just dirt behind them and this fixes the prob. It’s worth a try :ride:

• seagravedriver

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Man, sounds like I will try the credit car first, or what the heck. Worst case is that I take it to the shop afterward, providing I dont trash anything.

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:49 PM

The seal drivers don't fit more than one size fork, but they're still worth it. The job is a breeze with them, and a booger without.

The one thing to watch for is nicks, burrs, and vertical scratches in the fork inner tubes that are significant enough to be felt by dragging a fingernail over them. Sand these away, if you find them, with 240-320 grit to prevent a repeat failure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tacoma426

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:58 PM

I would go ahead and buy a set of seal savers

• ben_suhard

Posted July 11, 2006 - 10:30 PM

Man, sounds like I will try the credit car first, or what the heck. Worst case is that I take it to the shop afterward, providing I dont trash anything.

I haven't heard of using a credit card, I think it may be too thick and may cause some damage, dunno, haven't tried it. Most people use camera film.

Posted July 12, 2006 - 01:46 AM

I took my old seal and cut it and slipped it round the fork and used it for a seal driver with the lower part of the fork leg. Worked great.

• slammmin72

Posted July 12, 2006 - 04:36 PM

i did my fork seals the first time on my own and htey only lasted 2 rides before htey started leaking again so i broke down and bought hte tool (and later found out my cousin had the identical tool....) its the only way to do it, i can do both fork seals in about 1 hour (thats dissasembly and reassembly) the credit card is just to clean them usually wont stop them from leaking beacuse a large amount of dirt has already gotten past the wipers and into the seals, and all u are gonna do is pusht hat crap into the fork oil. my sugestion is buy the tool, a quart of fork oil, and a new set of seals AND wipers.....its not worth replacing just one....even if u think they are fine beause to get to it, u have to take it all apart again....

• 400forkstroke

Posted July 12, 2006 - 06:19 PM

get the service manual.its like a bible for your bike.i did my forks myself following the manual and it was alot easiey than i had predicted.lack of tools so i improvised using a piece of pvc and a slotted length of 1"pipe(about 30" to reach into the fork) VERY IMPORTANTkeep all the parts clean.

• seagravedriver

Posted July 12, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Got the service manual, but short on time as it turns out. Going to Devol (sp?) in Enumclaw WA, and after factoring parts that we would have bought anyway, he is only spending about 65-70 bucks. Next time with more time on our hands, we will give it a shot. There are still 2 more of us with the same bikes.

• siudog

Posted July 14, 2006 - 03:39 PM

whatever you do, use The last year OEM Honda CR500 seals they last longer and are cheaper than Yamaha. Try Service Honda for a good deal. I do my own seals and they are ez to do, but I have the shop manual too. Just use a sandwich bag when you slide them on. I made PVC tool, but it took so long to get it right I'd rather buy a tool. You can always sell it later. PM if you need help.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.