Stupid Question...reset trip odometer WR450

10 replies to this topic
  • chadwixk

Posted July 10, 2006 - 09:15 PM

I just bought a used '05 WR450. I can't seem to find an easy way to reset the trip odometer. Maybe it is broken. I pull out he knob and it will freely turn the numbers forward or backward in 1/10 increments only. When you go backwards, it doesn't lock the numbers when they match up to quickly reset it back to zero. You have to fully turn it to zero by going through in 1/10 mile increments...

Is it broke, or am I missing something? :ride:

Thanks,
Chad

• pkcof

Posted July 10, 2006 - 10:04 PM

funny that you should bring this up ...
i thought that the trip-meter on my '05 (which i bought brand new) was the only one to have this problem. First it did as you describe and then one day i went to re-set it and the knob was missing altogether (I assume it just fell out ??) I haven't done anything about it yet as i just write down the mileage before each ride to keep track of the day. When it goes back to the dealer for it's next major service i will ask if this is indeed a common problem for this model.
By the way, 3,000 klm's on my '05 so far (purchased in September '05) and it just keeps getting better and better - Yamaha certainly build these things pretty well!

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:42 AM

The stock tripmeter (98-05) can only be reset by rolling it all the way back to zero. There is no button or function that will just reset it. One of the reasons the aftermarket (Trailtech, etc) does so well.

• chadwixk

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:07 AM

I know what you mean that you have to roll it back, instead of just push it in an the numbers reset, but when it rolls back, is it supposed to only go in 1/10 increments?

Most that I've worked with are much easier in that they lock with the number to the left when they match, i.e. if you had 123.7 miles it would start rolling back the .7 and once it got to 123.3 it would lock with the 3 (the number to the left of the original .7), and they'd count down together 123.3,122.2, where then since it matched the next number to the left it would then lock with it so it would go to 111.1, and since it then mached the one, they's all lock and go to 000.0...

• chadwixk

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:12 AM

The trailtech Endurance meter looks like it has some great functionality at a decent price. People have had a good experience with it? How does it get distance info if it doesn't hook up to the current cable?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rich1167

Posted July 11, 2006 - 07:40 AM

The trailtech Endurance meter looks like it has some great functionality at a decent price. People have had a good experience with it? How does it get distance info if it doesn't hook up to the current cable?

Their is a magnetic bolt that replaces one of your existing front brake rotor bolts. Then a sensor that installs on your caliper. Check E-bay. I got mine for around $60 shipped.

• gdm

Posted July 11, 2006 - 09:29 AM

funny that you should bring this up ...
i thought that the trip-meter on my '05 (which i bought brand new) was the only one to have this problem. First it did as you describe and then one day i went to re-set it and the knob was missing altogether (I assume it just fell out ??) I haven't done anything about it yet as i just write down the mileage before each ride to keep track of the day. When it goes back to the dealer for it's next major service i will ask if this is indeed a common problem for this model.
By the way, 3,000 klm's on my '05 so far (purchased in September '05) and it just keeps getting better and better - Yamaha certainly build these things pretty well!

I almost lost my knob to, but found it. The screw that holds it in loosens very easy. Take it out and lock tight it to solve the problem.

• ckulzer

Posted July 11, 2006 - 02:08 PM

Gents,
Since the WR is an ENDURO bike, the knob allows complete control of the odometer. When enduro racing, there are times when you need to adjust the odometer reading to stay on track with the roll chart. Sometimes a section will be dropped because of too much rain and impassable conditions. Instead of recalculating all of the numbers, you simply change your odometer to match the mileage that it should have read if the canceled section had been ridden.

Chad

• chadwixk

Posted July 11, 2006 - 08:22 PM

Hey I learned something! That makes sense. Thanks Chad.

Thanks,
Chad

• glenw

Posted July 11, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Here's a tip from Canada.

Find a 12 point socket that will slip over the knob(offhand can't remember the size) , put on a long extension and put it on a drill or air wrench and spin it back to zero. Works for me :ride:
Glen

• rsj450

Posted July 12, 2006 - 07:45 AM

great tip glenw !!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.