changing bikes

6 replies to this topic
  • yzracerxx

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:42 PM

hey guys, im selling my 1998 yz125, to help pay for a wr, my question is, between the 250, 400, 426, and the 450 which one is better for me, im 16, about 5' 10" and almost 140. i ride mostly tight woods, pretty steep and tricky hills, wide open feilds, and jumps here and there, i felt real comfortable on th yz, and i think i was pretty good on it, i was just wondering how much different the bigger wr's are, thanks.

• foxomatica

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:52 PM

Go with the 250

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 10, 2006 - 10:39 PM

At 140, get the wr250. Its been around a while and its bulletproof.

There are guys that are 80-90lbs heavier than you that say it works great. You will have no problem with usable power.

On the other hand, i have the wr450. It scares the holy sh!t out of me sometimes. I think about trading it in, but I never will. Its a damn good bike. Heavy (very heavy), but good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pkcof

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:10 PM

how much can you afford? - an '05 or '06 450??
always try for the latest model if you can with the lowest mileage (As long as you can see that it hasn't been neglected)
the 450 is just FUN (with plenty to spare if you're serious) and I'm sure that you'll grow into it soon enough - just don't disrespect it's power in the interim and it'll serve you well for many years - and take you anywhere!!
OK it is a (little) heavy at first, especially after a YZ, but think of it as a mobile-gym-workout on wheels (most of the time on the back wheel) - much better than pumping iron or circuit work !
the 250's are great also but require more effort to ride within their power range - and if you outgrow a 250 in a few years then you'll have to sell it and look around for a 450 all over again

• Bullwinkle

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:50 PM

At "almost" 140, AND coming off a YZ125 I think a 250 if more than enough for the job. I rode 250's (many) years ago, back when I was in shape at 195! (Just my opinion.)
:ride:

• face_plant

Posted July 12, 2006 - 08:00 AM

On the other hand, i have the wr450. It scares the holy sh!t out of me sometimes. I think about trading it in, but I never will. Its a damn good bike. Heavy (very heavy), but good.

SOO true i couldnt ride til i bought it) in town and didnt have insurance. so insurance card and title in hand test drve.....take off in 1st almost met mr concrete never knew any bike can spin around the sprocket with out moving

last bike was 99 kx250 and it was bad the 05wr 450 is sick. i have the same problem tight trails AND wide open strip mines so i went with the 450 so i can run with the best of em. I am 26 yrs old 220lb 5'11" and more than enough power for me ) NO engine mods except throttle stop shortened and big gun
i say 450 just be carefull IT WILL HUMBLE YOU

• Bamster

Posted July 12, 2006 - 08:41 AM

You will be faster on the WR 250 in the tight woods and it won't wear you out like the big bore will.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.