DS Kit for WR in Australia by Yamaha?

29 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:12 PM

I know you guys seem to be able to get a full street kit to Dual Sport the Yamaha WR's in Australia, can someone down there get me a part number or part numbers of the parts they use? and some pics maybe of the rear signal lights and how they mount? I bought a BAJA DESIGNS kit and am havin lots of problems with it, woul love to start replacing parts with yamaha ones if available. There was a guy here a few months ago was gonna check it out for us but he never delivered, Can someone Down under please help.....

• ADVnaut

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:53 PM

+1

Where's the beef?

• odonnks

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:00 PM

I was just considering buying a Baja Designs kit myself. What kind of problems are you having?

Thanks

• gregwr450f

Posted July 11, 2006 - 12:17 AM

try asking your question on www.dirtblokes.com.au

• gdm

Posted July 11, 2006 - 09:34 AM

Try a Trick Dual Sport kit, superior to the Baja Designs kit. http://www.trickdualsport.com

• RichBaker

Posted July 11, 2006 - 08:25 PM

The BD design is sorta screwy, they do stupid things because it's a bastardized setup...

• odonnks

Posted July 12, 2006 - 04:01 AM

Trick DS does not list a package for a 06 WR. And with the 06's compuer I'd think the install is slighty different than previous years since the previous years required removal of the odometer.

• spick

Posted July 12, 2006 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, I caught that as well. I may have to give them a call to see what the deal is for the 06. I do like the look of their kit.

Though a part number for the stock Yammy kit would be nice as well.

• MountainMax

Posted July 12, 2006 - 02:42 PM

I bought a BD kit and am not happy with it, my headlight dimmer switch failed on me, my signal light flasher failed, my liscence plate bracket broke in 2 and fell off on me, the rear signal lights mount funny and stick up like 45 degrees like some stupid puppy dog ears, Not a Happy Camper :ride:

I know some here say their WR in australia comes with the DS kit installed from the dealer, I want/need pics and info PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

• PfM

Posted July 12, 2006 - 03:59 PM

I don't have a WR myself, but can advise that it is not strictly true to say that they come with a dual sport kit; rather they come fully ADR'd (registerable) from Japan.
I know what you are after - and access to an Australian microfiche site would be the go, but I don't know of one.

You can get an owners manual here:
http://www.yamahaown...om.au/index.php
but I am not sure how much it will tell you.

Using Yamaha parts would be an expensive option...

Cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted July 12, 2006 - 04:39 PM

I went to ausrailia's yamaha page, and the bike looks exactly the same as ours, but if yamaha puts kits on them there, I wanna see one........

• spick

Posted July 12, 2006 - 05:32 PM

I've seen other users here with it but I figured I would have better luck with google. I turned up this link . It's a small pic but it's something.

• MountainMax

Posted July 12, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Thanks, that is something, looks like the rear signal lights come off the liscence plate bracket. looks nice though.

• ADVnaut

Posted July 12, 2006 - 08:42 PM

I talked to Dale at Trick DualSport a while back about my '06. He said I could send in my headlight shell and he could install everything on it. He quoted a little bit of savings over the regular kit because he was not providing the headlight. Cool, but too much coin for me right now. He sent me some cool pics of an '06 he did though.
Here's one
Posted Image

• johnnyjeep

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hey MadMax, you said the signal light thing was a quick and easy fix! Anyway, Ive had the same problems as you with the exception of the turn signals, I did the led lights, but they are a joke, cant be seen during the day. They sent me an LED tail light with a plastic plate mount to replace the broken one, but that required an YZ fender- good enough, I like it better than the stock light, its real bright. However, the LED signals wouldnt come off so the rears got replaced The hi/lo switch they had me buy another one and said they would credit my cared when they got the first one back, but the second one broke also before I could ship the first one and havent had the chance to contact them about it. I am thinking about going with the Yamaha swtches from the enduro 200 or 225, but unles I do both switches from the enduro (R&L) you will loose the kill switch (its with the start button).

John in Vegas

I bought a BD kit and am not happy with it, my headlight dimmer switch failed on me, my signal light flasher failed, my liscence plate bracket broke in 2 and fell off on me, the rear signal lights mount funny and stick up like 45 degrees like some stupid puppy dog ears, Not a Happy Camper :ride:

I know some here say their WR in australia comes with the DS kit installed from the dealer, I want/need pics and info PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

• motoxer667

Posted July 13, 2006 - 05:20 AM

Almost two years ago I was in Australia for work and went to the local dealer to look around and they had YZ250's (2smoke) that were street legal on the show room floor.

On the way to Australia I went the New Zealand and road WR's (Kiwi Dirt Bike Adventures) and their bikes come with turn signals and stuff also (they took it off so it didn't get broken). They look identical to the ones here with the added stuff to make them street legal

• MountainMax

Posted July 13, 2006 - 02:59 PM

I did fix my signal lights but wondered how the stock ones fit to look good

• SID013

Posted July 13, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hi MountainMax, I have an '06 WR450 & the rear indicators are fixed to a supporting bar that runs inside the rear fender out to the tail light. I have removed mine at the moment so I could fit YZ plastics & am wondering how to re-fit the indicators now that there is no bar to fit them to. If you like I can take some photos of the assembly off the bike of the original set-up.

• MountainMax

Posted July 13, 2006 - 04:52 PM

Sure, thanks, would love to see that...

• SID013

Posted July 14, 2006 - 01:42 AM

Hi Mountainmax,

Follow the link to the photos to see if this is what you're lookin for. Hope it helps you out.

http://i65.photobuck...ss/DSC00840.jpg
http://i65.photobuck...ss/DSC00841.jpg
http://i65.photobuck...ss/DSC00839.jpg

Cheers from Oz

Peter

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.