XR 600 - oil change interval and weight?

3 replies to this topic
  • Jon-D

Posted July 10, 2006 - 04:53 PM

just curious, how often (in miles or hours) do you change your oil? also, what weight oil do you use? I have been using a 20-50 weight oil and it seems to work fine, but have not determined how often I need to change the oil.

• cleonard

Posted July 10, 2006 - 07:37 PM

I'm using Rotella 15W-40. I used to run 20W-50. I wouldn't go any thinner than the Rotella. Since this oil is only about $7 to $8 a gallon, I change it as soon as it starts changing color. I'm not writing it down, but I think it's every 6 to 8 or so rides. Maybe 350 to 400 miles. It depends on the kind or riding. If I do a clutch fest ride, like Snowy, or high engine loading, like sand dunes, I might change it after 1 ride. If I'm doing a lot of high speed desert cruising, I might go 1000 miles.

I change the filter every other time.

If you are draining the oil, and the viscosity is way down, you waited too long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • veetwo tls

Posted July 10, 2006 - 09:22 PM

15w-40. Shell Advance Ultra 4 & filter @ every 3000 KLM
bikes done 300,000klm +
top end rebuilt every 30,000klm & top & bottom ends every 60,000klm intervals.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted July 10, 2006 - 10:06 PM

1995 XR650L Purchased new in May 1996 closing in on 60,000 hard miles, fast.

I use Honda brand paper oil filers, which I change once a year. Quaker State 10w-40 since about 1999 after replacing the original clutch.

I change the oil about once every 6 months. It turns black usually in the first week, or 180 miles. Oil loss is at about a quart every two weeks, I simply add more.

Stock gearing, stock jetting, stock exhaust, smog removed. Runs like a noisy watch, at 56mpg. The favorite of all my bikes.

When I had my XR400, it got an oil change the night before a desert race only. After that race add about a thousand miles of practice between races.

Don't baby it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.