I think I may convert!

41 replies to this topic
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted July 10, 2006 - 12:16 PM

Well fellas, I just may have to go blue, or yellow, soon. I did a little bike swapping this past weekend with my friends and decided that the 06 Yamaha was the best bike of the bunch. I swapped between my bike (05 CRF450R with Crower G2 cam, DMC Afterburner exhaust, Motoworks suspension, extensive carb tuning, and slew of other stuff), a stock 06 CRF450R and a stock 06 YZ450 and the Yamaha took it! I rode one before, but for some reason I missed it. I have no idea how, the blue must have closed my mind before because the bike I rode this weekend was yellow.

Anyways, the suspension was the best stock suspension that I've ever felt. It was valved and sprung perfectly for me. The bike stuck amazingly well even with the crap 739 Dunlop, the power was strong but very smooth, but the biggest thing that I noticed was the feel of the bike. It felt small compared to the CRF. It felt lower and I loved the very flat backbone. The tank is nice and low and allowed me to move around like I enjoy.

I will be looking into upgrading in the very near future. Sorry for doubting you guys. I've ridden Yamahas before and really liked the 2 strokes and 250f's but was never a fan of the blue 450 until now. The 06 is a great machine! :ride:

• WFOracer

Posted July 10, 2006 - 12:33 PM

Very cool, I am glad to hear it!

We can always use another expert in the blue (yellow/white) crowd. I personally hated (with a passion) the '03 and '04 yz450f. But once I threw a leg over the '06, I was sold. It has been one of the best "bone stock" bikes I have ridden.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 10, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I sat on the bike just to see how it felt and was instantly wanting to ride it. If it felt this good just sitting on it, I was excited to see how it felt on the track. I was hucking jumps with confidence within seconds of getting on the bike. I don't know if Mama will let me, but I'm going to work her to change over.

One question. I stalled the bike once coming into a tight right hander right off the lander of a jump and when I went to start it up, I left it in gear, pulled the clutch, pulled the hot start and went to kick and the kicker didn't budge! Not at all. I put it in neutral and it started first kick. What's up with that? I can understand the clutch dragging a little and keeping the bike from starting, but it felt like the motor was seized! Maybe the bike was so fresh that it hadn't really broken in fully yet. :ride:

• bud

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:30 PM

my 06yz450f does that every once in a while. when i go to kick, it will not kick, almost feels like the autodecompressor thing is not working, but i just try again and it fires right up. it has done this since new.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 10, 2006 - 02:32 PM

my 06yz450f does that every once in a while. when i go to kick, it will not kick, almost feels like the autodecompressor thing is not working, but i just try again and it fires right up. it has done this since new.

Hmmm, weird. :ride:

I wonder if the decomp needs some fiddlin' with... :ride:

I just TOLD my wife that I'm buying a new bike this weekend and she sort of laughed and said "We'll see" and I responded with "Yeah, you'll 'see' me bustin' out a sikk whip on my new bike!" She wasn't amused. :ride:

• kyleyz

Posted July 10, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hmmm, weird. :ride:

I wonder if the decomp needs some fiddlin' with... :ride:

I just TOLD my wife that I'm buying a new bike this weekend and she sort of laughed and said "We'll see" and I responded with "Yeah, you'll 'see' me bustin' out a sikk whip on my new bike!" She wasn't amused. :ride:

:banana:

• NYMXer

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:01 PM

Red..................I have the S/E 450 Yammie and love it. It has about 30 hours on it and all I've done so far is ridew it and minor maintenance. If you get one, best of luck w/ it and welcome to Club 'Yamaha'. :ride:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:04 PM

I'd really like the Yellow bike as blue isn't overly flattering to my skin pigment, but those things are tough to find. :ride:

• steve_cirillo

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:05 PM

you know what they say, once you go blue you never go.... wait that's the wrong saying... anyways get the yamaha

• rsj450

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:08 PM

Good for you.Go blue!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:08 PM

you know what they say, once you go blue you never go.... wait that's the wrong saying... anyways get the yamaha

I might invest in some new plastics right off the bat if I can only find a blue one. I like that you can easily change colors with the aluminum frame bikes. Not like the old blue frame and tank! :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:55 PM

I'd really like the Yellow bike as blue isn't overly flattering to my skin pigment...

Wear dark lenses...no one will know. RB, I'm impressed that your open mindedness apparently matches your otherwise thoughtful nature. The '06 YZ450 is an amazingly improved ride. That it made such an impression on you speaks volumes.

There are a couple of reasons you might not have been so taken by the first one you rode. One is that the bike seems to be quite sensitive to relatively minor changes in the suspension setup. It pushes a little more than most people care for at 100mm of sag with the forks flush with the clamps, but simply going to 95mm and pulling the forks up 5mm makes more difference than you would probably expect.

Jetting is another thing. They may be trying to get their fuel economy ratings up or something, but the big YZF is delivered running rather lean.

Some people knock the "soft" power delivery, but the bike is much faster than it seems, and in the end, you can spend less time worrying about throttle control and more time going fast. Besides, I found that the Dr.D exhaust added a lot of snap to the lower middle and corrected some of the soft feel. And the suspension is, as you say, the best stock stuff I can ever remember being on.

• 02YZ426

Posted July 10, 2006 - 04:50 PM

In the few weeks I've had my 06, I can already say that this bike has improved my riding dramatically! I finally feel confident pushing the bike hard into the corners, over the biggest jumps, stock suspension is top notch and the motor pulls very hard! These new 450s are top! A few other things I noticed right away is not only the bike dropping my lap times, but it also doesn't beat me up like my 426 did... arm pump is minimal, and my stamina is better on this bike so I can run harder for longer and still have lost left for the last lap! You can't go wrong with this new bike! And combine all this with Yamaha's top reliability!! Its almost too much. Shit I feel like a Yamaha spokesperson or something :ride:

• whoops dude

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:49 PM

a honda rider who's mind isn't closed to everything that isn't red? I must be dreaming.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:54 PM

One question. I stalled the bike once coming into a tight right hander right off the lander of a jump and when I went to start it up, I left it in gear, pulled the clutch, pulled the hot start and went to kick and the kicker didn't budge! Not at all. I put it in neutral and it started first kick. What's up with that? I can understand the clutch dragging a little and keeping the bike from starting, but it felt like the motor was seized! Maybe the bike was so fresh that it hadn't really broken in fully yet. :ride:

Occasionally in a stall situation, the engine will come to a stop just as it runs up on compression. This will happen at a speed above that at which the decomp flyweight will drop back and activate the decompressor. While the decomp mechanism can easily open the exhaust valve under normal circumstances, a situation like the one I described above would require the flyweight return spring to force the valve open by virtue of its own strength, and it simply isn't strong enough to do that.

In that situation, the answer is to let the clutch out and pull the bike back a little, which gets it off compression far enough to allow the decomp pin to extend. After that, it will behave normally. :ride:

• Reyndogg

Posted July 10, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I know a guy that went from a nice 05 CRF to a 06 YZ after riding mine...so yeah, i can see exactly where you're coming from.

Good luck finding a yellow one!

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 11, 2006 - 10:56 AM

What is a fair price for an 06 SE with low hours, a DMC exhaust and Vortex CDI? I'm thinking $5500. :ride:

• Reyndogg

Posted July 11, 2006 - 12:34 PM

That doesnt seem too bad really if it's in good shape.

• kyleyz

Posted July 11, 2006 - 01:06 PM

After you get one, let us know and we will do the opening cerimonies.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 11, 2006 - 01:31 PM

After you get one, let us know and we will do the opening cerimonies.

I've got two options. The stealership has a new SE and my suspension guy is selling his SE that has about 25 hours on it. I have to see what I can get the new one for and that is all I'm waiting for. The sales dick is supposed to call me back.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.