How do you change the oil ? xr600

7 replies to this topic
  • Slim Shadetree

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:23 AM

I am about to do my first oil change. Service Manual on Order. I have my two litres of new oil, my new Honda oil filter. I don't have any idea where to start.

Some questions:
where are the drain holes for the oil ?
where is the oil filter located ?
what if any special tools are required ?
any tips or advice to keep the job clean and easy.

as i understand it, run the bike to operating temp, drain oil from mystery holes, remove oil filter from mystery spot, reverse procedure, fill with oil.

• cleonard

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:40 AM

First drain the oil. Two drain plugs. First is on the left side of the engine. It has a 17mm head. It is not pointing down, it is on the side. The other drain plug is on the frame. It is on near the bottom of the center tube in front of the engine. It has a 14mm head.

After the oil is out, change the filter. It is on the right side of the case. It has three 5mm allen head bolts that hold it on. It will be full of oil, so be ready for it to spill out when you take the cover off.

While warm is better than cold, I don't usually do it at operating temperature. It's too hot for comfort then. Think fingers fried in hot oil. I just idle mine for a minute or so so it's not totally cold.

I try and change the oil every 5 or 6 rides. I change the oil filter at every other oil change.

You should also clean the screen in the frame. I only do it once a year or so. Under the drain on the frame, there is an oil hose that goes on the bottom of the frame tube. Take the hose off. The piece that the hose goes to is threaded into the bottom of the frame oil reservoir. I think it has a 17mm hex that you can get off with a wrench. If it hasn't been done on your bike, there will be a lot of crap there. It where all the large metal wear bits end up. It can be scary to see.

• Slim Shadetree

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:09 PM

awesome , thanks for the help. :ride:

• Slim Shadetree

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:14 PM

well i took the downtube drain plug off but it was a 10mm. the oil that came out was dark and ugly. i just bought this my first dirt bike so i wanted to freshen it up and i'm glad i am !

question -

i took this 12mm bolt off thinking it is the other oil drain plug. ( see finger below ) but NO oil came out. does this mean it is the wrong bolt, or the bike simply has almost no oil in it ?

Posted Image

thank you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:00 PM

it's the wrong bolt. The correct bolt is next to the engine #.

• XRidiculous

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Lower and to the left, behind your knuckle in the pic.

Do what I have taken 8 years to do, buy two magnetic drain plugs from XR's only. This will help you determine if all the insides are in good shape, as well as give you some confidence about your bike.

Congrats, you have bought the most bullet-proof dirtbike ever!

• Slim Shadetree

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:38 PM

Got the right one now thanks all. :ride:

I take it the magnetic plugs grab any metal bits in the oil stream ? and then each time you change your oil you can determine if something ain't stirring the kool-aid by the amount of shavings found if any ?

now i am trying to get the down tube screen out to check it but i see the nuts edges are rounded from the previous owner :ride:

• don87xr600

Posted July 10, 2006 - 07:27 PM

That requires a six point socket, don't try it with a 12 point.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.