I love you guys & I hate you guys. Gonna plate my WR

29 replies to this topic
  • imdickie

Posted July 14, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Well I got my Desert tires per Indy's advice on last night after some Mexican food and magaritas at my favorite reasturant with one of my good buddies. I went to him originally because he has a tire changing stand but with the booze the processes seemed a lot longer in reality. I had fun though.

Today I took it to Temecual Cycle, NOT to be confused with Temecual Valley Motor Sports. You can search on my name and see exactly what I think of them. TC did a light cert all was well. Didn't charge me anything so I bought some gear from their store.

After the light cert I went over the freeway to AAA to get the VIN cert done. Checked in at the counter (Hot chick) got called to a window (Another hot chick) and said I need a VIN cert. She said was it a motorcycle seeing my green sticker in my hand. "Uh, yea..." "Are you trying to dual regsiter it?" (INTERNAL THOUGHT: Oh crap!) "Uh, yea..." her "OK let me check something first" She gets on the phone and describes the scenario to the person on the other end then writes on a piece of paper "MUST CHECK FOR CA EMMISIONS" (INTERNAL THOUGHT 2: Oh S&!t!) Then she says "OK lets go outside and see this motorcycle.

My bike was in the back of my lifted F250 which is black and it was 105 deg outside. I said "I can climb up there and read it off to you if you like". She said "No, I have to see it myself. I don't mind climbing back there. I like your truck anyway." Se we get back there and I show here the emmisions sticker on the front of the head set. She reads it and marks something on the VIN form. Then she says "Where is the frame VIN?" so I showed her the VIN on the frame. She writes it down and says "Where is the engine number?" and I show her the engine number. Finally we get back in the office and she fills out some stuff on the form and hands it too me. I say "What is the charge for a VIN cert?" and she said "Nothing, it is a free service for club members". I walk out feeling dejected cause I knew what it form said. When I get in my truck and turn the AC on I finally read the form and lo and behold she checked off the "Meets CA Emissions"

YAY!

Turns out the Brockton DMV is open tomorrow from 8AM to 12PM so I am heading out there and laying my paper work down. I don't expect any problems as my WR is green sticker off of the bat and I have all of the forms already filled out and all of the certs done. Hopefully my next post will be tomorrow saying "I HAVE MY PLATE"

Thanks again for all of your help guys. Much appreciated.

• chivobones

Posted July 14, 2006 - 05:31 PM

:ride: Cool so far so good. Yup you're just like me, when they open their mouth, I get scared that I am gonna get denied. Oh and stories with hot chicks are always the best! My buddy told me about that Temecula Cycles the other day. He told me to just go to the back when I get my tires and the mechanic there would hook me up on the install. Supposedly they are pretty cool so glad you confirmed it.
I took my bike (for the 1st time) out today after I put the plate on it. There is a large field and a nature preserve behind my house. I didn't even get to the end of the perimeter (dirt) road and some old fart on a mountain bike rolled up to me. He kept telling me that I need to leave. He pulled out his cellphone maybe to call the police and tell them that a dual sport (haha I have a dual sport!) motorcycle is on a dirt road near the nature preserve. I was like, whatever, and rode over to my backyard fence, hopped on the road, and went home. Other than the kill-joy old man, it was cool to take the bike on the road. I only was at 2 intersections, but at both, the other drivers, just waved me through... must know it's not cool to be unnoticed on a motorcycle.
Anyway my turn signal lights stopped blinking, but I could hear the relay clicking away. I farted around with it for a few minutes and turned off the bike. The dang thing was boiling over when I shut it down but I couldn't hear it. Kinda pissed me off because I just changed the oil and radiator fluid and it was all topped off. I read my Baja Designs manual and it reads that if the battery is low the lights may not blink. So I dunno if I need a new battery.
Anyway I fired up the bike and drove it up and down the street and everything seems to be OK, except for the blinkers.

Sorry about the rant, but KEEP US POSTED, I hope to see nothing but dual sports on the road this summer....

• imdickie

Posted July 15, 2006 - 01:52 PM

3.5 hours at the Riverside DMV was not the way I wanted to spend my Sat morning but I did come out of it with a plate and a M endorsement on my CDL. Yay me. I finally have a real DS bike. First trip is to the Western Sierras outside of Fresno for 2 weeks. Can't wait. Thanks again for all of you guys that put in your $0.02. I for one embrace this community and will continue to do so. Everytime I need something that I don't need right away it is off to the TT store for me.

• coffee

Posted July 15, 2006 - 02:26 PM

3.5 hours at the Riverside DMV was not the way I wanted to spend my Sat morning but I did come out of it with a plate and a M endorsement on my CDL. Yay me. I finally have a real DS bike. First trip is to the Western Sierras outside of Fresno for 2 weeks.

Yeeessssss!!! :ride: :ride: :ride:

2 questions - plate only or plate and green sticker? and are you gonna ride that bike all the way to Fresno?

Good Job!

• imdickie

Posted July 15, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Yeeessssss!!! :ride: :ride: :ride:

2 questions - plate only or plate and green sticker? and are you gonna ride that bike all the way to Fresno?

Good Job!

Dual actually. I didn't mind paying the fee and God forbid that they take my plate away I can still ride it.

Not going to ride it to Fresno. Headin' there in the 5th wheel, bike inside where it should be.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • coffee

Posted July 15, 2006 - 02:42 PM

Dual actually. I didn't mind paying the fee and God forbid that they take my plate away I can still ride it.

Not going to ride it to Fresno. Headin' there in the 5th wheel, bike inside where it should be.

Sweet. And I am very jealous....Let me guess you even have ac it the 5th wheel...

• chivobones

Posted July 15, 2006 - 07:44 PM

:ride: That is so awesome! I just got my (2) pinks slips the other day and a $25.00 refund from the DMV. So I guess if I ever sell the bike I gotta sign both pinks.
Oh I checked my turn signals and they work again....weird. I'm thinking the battery was low and recharged or I need to consider a new one altogether.

• imdickie

Posted July 15, 2006 - 09:49 PM

Sweet. And I am very jealous....Let me guess you even have ac it the 5th wheel...

Dual AC actually. We do a lot of dry camping out in the boonies. Sometimes in late April or late September you never know when a nasty heat wave is going to hit.

:ride: That is so awesome! I just got my (2) pinks slips the other day and a $25.00 refund from the DMV. So I guess if I ever sell the bike I gotta sign both pinks.
Oh I checked my turn signals and they work again....weird. I'm thinking the battery was low and recharged or I need to consider a new one altogether.

According to Pro Cycle, where I got my kit from you have to take the AC wire that lead into the lights originally and feed that into the positive for the switch. Others in this thread have been telling me I need to put a rectifier on it though. I am just going to take it to Baja Designs this week before I leave and have them do the Stator mod. Runs off of the battery and still keeps charged. That's what I am looking for.

• chivobones

Posted July 16, 2006 - 08:26 AM

Hmm, didn't know you could go to Baja Designs...maybe I'll have to do that when I get my tires. Nice little road trip.

• jimi

Posted July 16, 2006 - 09:05 PM

Hmm, didn't know you could go to Baja Designs...maybe I'll have to do that when I get my tires. Nice little road trip.

Yeah, you can walk in an buy stuff, get work done, whatever. When they were 2-miles from my work, I used to go there all the time to buy parts and have them work on my XR. They were always installing kits on people's bikes. I remember one time, this guy had a XR100 there with a DS kit and a plate. I didn't even know you could register something that small for street use.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.