I love you guys & I hate you guys. Gonna plate my WR

29 replies to this topic
  • imdickie

Posted July 10, 2006 - 09:08 AM

I have been following a number of threads in here about people trying to plate their WR in CA with some degree of success (Love you guys). I live at the base of the mountians between OC and the Temecula Valley and could ride all year long if I had a plate on my bike. This weekend I started down the path towards a plate (Hate you guys).

Let me get this straight. I hate work. I am as lazy as they come. I like to put my bike in the back of my truck and ride. So this weekend I attempted to put on a kit I bought from procycle.us a while back. I can tear apart a motor and work on most anything, even though I don't like it any more but electronics scare the crap out of me. Even still, there I was ripping apart my beloved WR to attach a switch and re-wire everything.

Much to my amazment I was able to wire everything and not short out my bike. I am running the lights off the battery for now until I get the light cert done then I am changing it over to the AC circuit. I have the WR service manual but I still cannot tell which wire is AC hot going into the the lights. I may have to post seperately later about that. Also, I took off the manual odometer and attached a bracket and holder for my GPS to get past the spedo requirement. Now I have to cover the recepticle on the front wheel left open from the missing odometer cable. Any one have thoughts on how to cover it up?

So now my bike is in my garage with the wheels off waiting to get taken to the shop for some DOT tires. I heard that Track Master tires where the way to go so I need to find a shop that sells them and will mount them for me. I hate changing tires more than I hate work on electrical.

Hopefully I will get to the DMV this week to start the process to get my plate and won't have any problems. I was kidding about the "Hate you guys" comment. I think this community has done wonders for the off road community. I can't tell you how many times I printed out a thread and had it in the garage with me when I was working on my bikes. It got so bad that I ended up putting a computer in my garage so I could look things up on the fly. I highly recommed that BTW.

Thanks to all those who take the time to post useful and helpful information. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

• Bamster

Posted July 10, 2006 - 10:03 AM

Trackmaster on the front sucks. Try to find a used one cheap just to get you through the inspection. They do work reasonably well on the rear.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted July 10, 2006 - 10:13 AM

If you are looking for a DOT tire that is has an aggressive offroad tread, look at the Pirelli Pro FIM. I run a 90/90-21 on the front that hooks up very well in the dirt.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 10, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Michelin Desert front is the best DOT tire I have ever run. It does it all well , road, mud, rocks, roots, sand !!!!!!!!!! :ride: :ride: :ride:

• jwriott

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Go get a set of Deathwings from one of the DRZ owners in California. Those guys either get rid of them or hang them on the wall so borrowing a pair to pass inspection should be easy.

I'm not implying you should ride the bike on the dirt with them. :ride:

• MSHAM

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:34 PM

[quote name='imdickI am running the lights off the battery for now until I get the light cert done then I am changing it over to the AC circuit. I have the WR service manual but I still cannot tell which wire is AC hot going into the the lights. I may have to post seperately later about that.

[url']http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%20Site/statormods.htm[/url]

• StreetbikePimp

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:25 PM

... Now I have to cover the recepticle on the front wheel left open from the missing odometer cable. Any one have thoughts on how to cover it up?

I'm sorry I don't have a link for you, but I have seen posts in the past and pictures of a spacer specially machined to replace the odometer drive assembly.

Otherwise you could go this route:
http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTMwOA==

(Sorry, my computer is not allowing the hyperlink window to pop-up. :ride: you'll have to cut and paste the link.)

• ncampion

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Try your local hardware store for a plastic cap designed to cover exposed bolts etc. They come in all sizes, just get one to fit. They also make good spark plug thread protectors in your fender pack.

http://i32.photobuck...on/DSCN3869.jpg

• tp3dxf

Posted July 11, 2006 - 10:37 AM

Try your local hardware store for a plastic cap designed to cover exposed bolts etc. They come in all sizes, just get one to fit. They also make good spark plug thread protectors in your fender pack.

I use the same type of plastic cap. I think It came with my Baja Designs kit. Simple yet effective and cheap.

• RichBaker

Posted July 11, 2006 - 08:17 PM

TrailTech puts one of those in the kit....I have it on my WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted July 11, 2006 - 08:41 PM

I have the WR service manual but I still cannot tell which wire is AC hot going into the the lights.

Ah, all AC wires are hot, its AC. One second, one side is positive, other negative, next thing you know, its all turned around. You can make one side positive by just putting a diode inline for a half wave rectifier, but ideally, would be to get a full wave rectifier. But to make it easier, use the yellow wire as the hot for your front headlamp. You can buy full wave rectifiers from Radio Shack. They will be a squared looking unit with 4 pins, one in each corner. 2 opposite pins will read AC and AC, hook each wire to this (or just cut open the yellow and hook one end to each terminal) and then the remaining 2 pins will read "+" and "-", these will be your now DC terminals from a full wave rectified AC. Good luck on your plate too!
:ride:

• coffee

Posted July 11, 2006 - 08:52 PM

Confused, why are you putting dot tires on? No one seemed to care when I plated our 2 dirt bikes.

Sorry - did not mean to intrude into your fine group.

• minion

Posted July 12, 2006 - 06:53 AM

Trackmaster on the front sucks. Try to find a used one cheap just to get you through the inspection. They do work reasonably well on the rear.

Never rode a trackmaster. I'm using Pirelli Scorpion Pros on both the front and rear (DOT and FIM approved tires).

The front is awesome - it almost grips too good in ruts, and tries to walk up the sides.

The rear is a bit lacking in mud, but works really well on grass tracks and hard pack.

I'm surprised the rear is actually DOT, as there isn't a lot of rubber in contact with the road with the tread pattern it has.

But thats my two cents. I'd happily use the Pirelli Scorpion Pro front again for a dual sport bike. I may look around for a different rear though.

I've also heard that ALL Pirelli front tires are DOT approved.

M.

• imdickie

Posted July 12, 2006 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for all of the tips. I am going to make my first run at the plating my bike next week after I get the tires put on and all of the certs done. I have oll of the forms printed and filled out just wait for the tires.

Michelin Desert front is the best DOT tire I have ever run. It does it all well , road, mud, rocks, roots, sand !!!!!!!!!!

Great tip Indy. I ordered a set from TT. They should be here Friday for next weeks trek to the DMV. After I ordered them one of my riding buddies said it was one of the best sets of tires for the terrian we ride (READ:rocky)

http://www.bajadesig.../statormods.htm

Man that one scares the crap out of me. I was timid enough just wiring the kit. I think I am going to take it to BD for the mod. They are only about 40 miles away. Thanks for the tip.

One question though. If I do the stator mode does that mean I keep the hot from the battery and the stator now has enough juice to keep the battery charged?

I was actually thinking about getting a regular nut cap for it. I like the plastic tip though. I will head to Home Depot today and see what they have. Anything is better than the duct tape I have on it now.

Ah, all AC wires are hot, its AC. One second, one side is positive, other negative, next thing you know, its all turned around. You can make one side positive by just putting a diode inline for a half wave rectifier, but ideally, would be to get a full wave rectifier. But to make it easier, use the yellow wire as the hot for your front headlamp. You can buy full wave rectifiers from Radio Shack. They will be a squared looking unit with 4 pins, one in each corner. 2 opposite pins will read AC and AC, hook each wire to this (or just cut open the yellow and hook one end to each terminal) and then the remaining 2 pins will read "+" and "-", these will be your now DC terminals from a full wave rectified AC. Good luck on your plate too!

OK, it is all coming back to me from my electronics shop class. However, since the light assepbly can run off of AC or DC I guess it really doesn't matter. Trick Dual Sport has a chip that you can run the hot DC into it and an AC line that automatically switches back and forth as the you turn the bike on and off.

Confused, why are you putting dot tires on? No one seemed to care when I plated our 2 dirt bikes.

Sorry - did not mean to intrude into your fine group.

Most...

The Police here are kind of picky about that. They don't necessarily hassle you about a plated bike but if you ride it on the street they will tag you for non-DOT tires, then run a check on the legality of your bike. I have a friend with a plated YZ426 and they stopped him for the random "Inspection" and the policeman who was a dirtbike rider said "I know you shouldn't have a plate in this thing but if you garage it and don't let me catch you on the streets here again I will let you go with a warning.

• coffee

Posted July 12, 2006 - 10:03 AM

Most...

The Police here are kind of picky about that. They don't necessarily hassle you about a plated bike but if you ride it on the street they will tag you for non-DOT tires, then run a check on the legality of your bike. I have a friend with a plated YZ426 and they stopped him for the random "Inspection" and the policeman who was a dirtbike rider said "I know you shouldn't have a plate in this thing but if you garage it and don't let me catch you on the streets here again I will let you go with a warning.

For crying out loud where are you? I want to stay away from that area! At least a dozen police have looked at our bikes and I have asked all of them if they would even write a warning ticket - the answer was always "no but if there is an accident on the road it might be an issue"...

edit - trick dual sport is very nice.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 12, 2006 - 10:03 AM

What city was that in?

• imdickie

Posted July 12, 2006 - 11:21 AM

For crying out loud where are you? I want to stay away from that area! At least a dozen police have looked at our bikes and I have asked all of them if they would even write a warning ticket - the answer was always "no but if there is an accident on the road it might be an issue"...

edit - trick dual sport is very nice.

What city was that in?

Temecula

I live right at the edge of the city going on 79S right before it heads into the road into Anza. With all of the legistlation on motorcycle riding in Riverside county the police have been quick to stop bikes. There used to be a staging area right down 79S from me where people would off load their bikes from their trucks and head into the hills. Now the police ticket any riders they find in that area and if they see you more than once they impound your bike and your truck.

Plated is the only way to ride around here so now they started stopping bikes they suspect aren't street legal. My friend rode over the hill from OC to my house about a month ago and that was when he got popped. Needless to say he doesn't ride here any more.

• coffee

Posted July 12, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 12, 2006 - 04:01 PM

Temecula

I live right at the edge of the city going on 79S right before it heads into the road into Anza. With all of the legistlation on motorcycle riding in Riverside county the police have been quick to stop bikes. There used to be a staging area right down 79S from me where people would off load their bikes from their trucks and head into the hills. Now the police ticket any riders they find in that area and if they see you more than once they impound your bike and your truck.

Plated is the only way to ride around here so now they started stopping bikes they suspect aren't street legal. My friend rode over the hill from OC to my house about a month ago and that was when he got popped. Needless to say he doesn't ride here any more.

I've been down there and always wondered where everyone was riding. To ride down there, I guess you must be DS'd.

or, are they hassling anyone who rides, regardless of their plate?

• chivobones

Posted July 12, 2006 - 04:15 PM

I'm sure you saw the thread " Another Successful CA. plated WR426!'' thread: http://www.thumperta...29&parentpage=3 . I tried to put put as much information in that thread as I could and tried to keep it going. You are near me somewhat imdickie so you could use the same places to get things done, as I did. All I need now is DOT tires and some insurance...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.