bogging at full throttle when engine is hot

9 replies to this topic
  • moto619

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:09 AM

I have an 03 WR 450 that started bogging only at full thottle and only after riding for at least 15 min. I have already cleaned the carbs and checked the jets, replaced the airfilter with no luck. Any suggestions?

• Ramcc4x4

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:50 AM

Put in a new sparkplug and ride the bike. When you go full throttle and the bike bogs immediately shut the bike off. Pull the plug and see how it looks (white/black-smelling like fuel). That should give you an idea what to look at unless you already can tell if it's bogging from a lean or rich condition.

Another option is checking the fuel line for restrictions/kinks as well as all of the carb vent lines. Has there been a significant change in riding conditions since this problem started?

• moto619

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:34 PM

No change in conditions the spark plug looked white.

• Yamaster

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:05 PM

If your plug looks white, you are running lean. Start by checking for an airleak by squirting some wd40 around, then if that wasnt the problem, start upping the main jet. Once your bike runs better with the larger jet, fine tune it with the needle.

• Moto5

Posted July 11, 2006 - 10:21 AM

I agree you most likely have an airleak. I wouldn't ride it until you find the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtbk4ever

Posted July 11, 2006 - 02:03 PM

If your plug looks white, you are running lean. [COLOR=Red]Start by checking for an airleak by squirting some wd40 around, then if that wasnt the problem[/COLOR], start upping the main jet. Once your bike runs better with the larger jet, fine tune it with the needle.

Hey Yamaster,

When you are talking about air leaks, do you mean on the intake side or the exhaust side? Can you explain a bit more what the testing procedure is for that, ie where exactly do we spray the WD40?

Thanks.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:31 PM

Intake side check for any air flow leaks at boots and make sure the vacuum vent lines are not clogged with dirt. :ride:

• Dodjy

Posted July 11, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Sounds like your not getting sufficient fuel flow from the tank to the carby and are running out of fuel in the carby. Pull your tap out and clean the filter. Could also be crap in the line above the needle and seat (fuel inlet to carby). Check the one way valve in the tank breather is letting air in. Also, as someone else mentioned, check your breathers are clean and free to flow air.

• Yamaster

Posted July 12, 2006 - 01:30 PM

You spray the wd40 on the intake side. Start from the airboot between the carb and the airbox and work your way down to the boot between the motor and carb. If you have an airleak your rpm's will change when sprayed with the wd. Hope this helps.

• WR_Dave

Posted July 12, 2006 - 02:42 PM

A friends WR 250 started doing this so I pulled the one way check valve out to the gas cap and now it doesn't do it anymore. The valve seems to be very sticky in the housing. WR Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.