Rate your exhaust!

28 replies to this topic
  • Hooter4444

Posted July 09, 2006 - 10:53 PM

I am trying to decide on an exhaust for my 2006 XR 650L. I have been looking at too many and am now thoroughly confused :ride: .

What I am looking for is descent low and mid range performance, and is also quiet enough to not have the police at my house whenever I start it up :ride: .

So if you folks out there have some input, it would help me out greatly!

I am also planning on a stage 1 Hotcam and Mikuni pumper in the near future.

Thanks

• captb

Posted July 09, 2006 - 11:23 PM

I would rate mine a 7, Power Bomb header and WB R-4 w/Spark arrestor, louder than I wanted but if you take it easy it's not intrusive to others, sound quality ok, no problems in 4 years, broad powerband, good fit, engine runs cool with it. Best bet is to find someone near you and check their ex system to help get a idea of sound levels. I had a Supertrap on my L and didn't like the sound, but it was tunable with disc.

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:48 AM

WB E-series pro meg, if you can find one. These are excellent low-mid pipes and can be made to be somewhat quiet. I've tried a few combinations of exhaust, including headers, and I'm going back to the stock headers and the E-Series.

• gamblingwithguns

Posted July 10, 2006 - 04:45 AM

I have the e series and all the people that i ride with say it sounds really good from behind and i like the way it sounds, never run it with stock pipe so i dont know the power dif.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:09 AM

I have a SuperTrapp IDS2 quiet. It is tunable like the WB one, and quiet enough to ride down my street (suburbia) without pissing off the neighbors (adding or removing discs to fine tune it will make it louder/quieter). It must be ok as i have it set up now because there is a cop 2 doors away & he has never said a peep about it. I originally wanted the "E" series from WB, but a friend had this one barely used for a fair price so i grabbed it instead. Some do, some dont, but I like the way it looks, and sounds. I have had S-Trapps before, never had any trouble with any of them. The disc bolts do tend to get locked up over time, but any disc system type exhaust will do the same thing.

I would buy it again, but i like the looks of the WB one just a little bit more.

• TeamEndo

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Powercore 4 with stainless headers and S/A. I'd rate it an 8, good quality, fit, finish etc. and doesn't seem to dramatically increase one part of powerband but overall opens it up quite a bit. It is on the loud side, sounds like half a ducati twin, but i run it on the street as well and so far so good.

• ghoti

Posted July 10, 2006 - 07:08 AM

I think an aftermarket exhaust is the most over-rated performance adder. Certinately not worth the inflated cost. $350.00 for a muffler That being said, I have a White Brothers E-series. I got it used from a fellow TT'er who had the misfortune of an accident on the street. I am happy with the quality and sound and very happy I didn't pay retail.

• XRsteve

Posted July 10, 2006 - 10:21 AM

I have a Supertrapp IDS2 quiet series. Sounds better than stock, with maybe a slight power increase. I've tried different numbers of discs and now have 12 in it. Didn't seem to make very much difference in power. It is nice and compact, and looks pretty good. It isn't too noisy for the street. Low and mid power is ok, maybe would be better with less discs.

• justicedone

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:08 AM

I would rate my White Bros E-Series a 9.5

It fits sweet, sounds wicked, its a bit loud when your really blipping the throttle, but it should be when hauling some aaaaaa.

The thing i like the most about this pipe is how it doesnt stick way out in the back, take a look at the pics in my garage to see what I mean. Seen many other pipes that hang way back there, looks dumb to me and flipping would ruin your pipe as well.

They do sell an insert to quiet this pipe to under96db (quiet core insert).

They are getting harter to find, but Ebay still has them sometimes, at a good price.

• GIANTac1

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:32 AM

WB e-series gets my vote. The loud pipe doesn't bother me, and the shorter can fits well. My next pipe will be a WB. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:16 PM

I think an aftermarket exhaust is the most over-rated performance adder. Certinately not worth the inflated cost. $350.00 for a muffler That being said, I have a White Brothers E-series. I got it used from a fellow TT'er who had the misfortune of an accident on the street. I am happy with the quality and sound and very happy I didn't pay retail.

Maybe unless you don't take into consideration the weight savings and the better sound quality, although the sound quality issue may be a moot point woth some. The weight saving is a biggie, my stock exhaust was around 12 pounds, my slip on, almost three pounds! And you can get lighter ones made out of carbon fibre....

• pburke

Posted July 10, 2006 - 01:22 PM

where do you get those WB e-series exhausts? I did some online search and can't find anything for the XRR

Peter

• rockn6gs

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:11 PM

http://www.whitebrothers.com/

where do you get those WB e-series exhausts? I did some online search and can't find anything for the XRR

Peter

• GIANTac1

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Peter

This is what you are lookin for :ride: http://www.motojoe.c...tebro/pipes.htm
Good price to......

• XRidiculous

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:05 PM

I second the E-Series. Really adjustable, relatively easy to pack-you should get the header too, its a lot bigger than stock. And lastly, I get lots of compliments on the sound.

• Rockcrawlintoy

Posted July 10, 2006 - 07:39 PM

i just got a white bros muffler on ebay for 256 shipped ill rate it prolly at the end of the week. anything will be better then the crap i have on there now

Drew

• ghoti

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:56 AM

Maybe unless you don't take into consideration the weight savings and the better sound quality, although the sound quality issue may be a moot point woth some. The weight saving is a biggie, my stock exhaust was around 12 pounds, my slip on, almost three pounds! And you can get lighter ones made out of carbon fibre....

I didn't use a scale, but I did have my hands calibrated recently and the WB E-series can felt pretty close to the same weight as the stocker. :ride:

• XR_mad

Posted July 11, 2006 - 05:02 AM

im more then happy with my staintune system

• KASUYAHO

Posted July 11, 2006 - 01:44 PM

im more then happy with my staintune system

Yep i feel the same with the Staintune exhaust too.
Fully welded and no repacking, no pop rivet to fall apart.

• pburke

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:04 PM

This is what you are lookin for :ride: http://www.motojoe.c...tebro/pipes.htm
Good price to......

sweet :ride:

even has a quiet-core insert available so you don't get pulled over all the time

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.