yamaha hour meter

4 replies to this topic
  • jamiehughes

Posted July 09, 2006 - 06:41 PM

i bought a yamaha hour meter for my 06 yz450f and installed it this morning and it doesn't seem to do anything. the package says it will show engine rpm right at start up. mine just shows 0. i even put the wire wrap under the covering that they have over the 2 small wires going to the spark plug. even tried holding the wires tighter and closer together with it running and still no reading. did i do something wrong or has anyone ever had a bad one of these. also the wire on the meter itself was pushed all the way to the back of the slot.. any info or ideas would be appreciated. i didn't run the bike for any period of time today to see if it will keep track of the hours :ride:(rained all day long here) :ride: i just assumed if it was working it would've registered the rpm for at start up.

• yzernie

Posted July 09, 2006 - 06:48 PM

I did the same thing with mine. It has to be wrapped around the top of the spark plug cap to work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:13 AM

Yep, what yzernie said, wrap it around the rubber (coil/spark plug) cap just above the engine, not around the wires going into it. One wrap should be enough if the wire isn't long enough for more, mine works with only one wrap. It should give rpm reading as soon as the engine is running, or it won't track the hours either.

• jamiehughes

Posted July 11, 2006 - 04:32 AM

i wrapped it around the plug cap and it still won't read engine rpm but the hourglass flashes??? i've got some buddies that work in the service dept of a yamaha dealer. i'm sure they have put some of these on for customers, so i'll try them to see what i'm doing wrong. thanks for the info though guys...

• adam918

Posted August 10, 2006 - 05:45 PM

i wrapped mine around the rubber part, on the bottom of the ignition coil cap, about three or four times, and then hooked it back into its self, with 16 gauge wire. I used a small screwdriver to seat the wire all the way into the hour meter. although its a small space, i mounted it in the air box. i like it. don't know if that helps or not, but it worked for me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.