WR400 wont start....timing my be lost??

5 replies to this topic
  • angellmxer

Posted July 09, 2006 - 06:15 PM

So I adjusted my valves today and after putting everything back together, my bike wouldn't start. I am sure that everything is percfect, except for the timing. My question is this... How do you know where TDC is for reinstalling your cams / timing chain? I know that you are supposed to allign the "I" on the flywheel, but how do you know if it is TCD for the exhaust stoke versus the compression stroke?

My guess is that I may have set the timing 180 degrees off by alligning the "I" mark as TDC of the exhaust stroke rather the compression stroke...

• bluebike1999

Posted July 09, 2006 - 06:23 PM

have a look at this and see if it helps
http://www.off-road....ke/jun99/hobbs/

there are some pics that might help

• MountainMax

Posted July 09, 2006 - 06:25 PM

the info is in your manual how to do this, also on other threads here, try to do a search, there is pics to show the location the cams should be in by looking at them from the RH side so you know youre close, and you should have like 14 pins between the cams also i think, lots of info out there on this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:11 AM

When I do my valves I take a yellow grease pencil and put marks where the cam chain lines up on booth cam gears. Makes it much easier to put back together.

• JMwr400

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:18 AM

At TDC on the compression stroke, all the valves will be closed.

• RichBaker

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:25 PM

The cams are what determine TDC comp or exh....get the timing marks on the flywheel correctly aligned then install the cams per manual. With the cams out TDC is TDC...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.