Advice on years of big-bores...

17 replies to this topic
  • Doughnut

Posted July 09, 2006 - 05:01 PM

hello, I have a 250f that is starting to get under my skin, I suck at racing so why have a bike that requires meticulous garage time, when all i do is ride trails? Ive decided I want to buy a 98,or 99 YZ400, or a 00-02 YZ426 but before I made the thumper's into a woods weapon, I thought I might just poke around and see what years have had certain problems, what years they fixed them, and just overall opinion's on these two bikes. yeah, I understand the best would be to buy the newest year possible but, if theres a way to save money and beable to put more into it... I might get into some enduro riding too,, if that helps any... All input is much appreciated.

• GreenKLX

Posted July 09, 2006 - 05:12 PM

I think the newest 426's (2001-2002) are the best of what you mentioned. I put a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket on mine and it made all the difference in the world. As far as problems are concerned, I believe the 2000 426 has some grabby clutch and brake issues, and the 2001 has some brake issues but no clutch problems. Then 2002 no issues. 2001 and 2002 have the titanium valves. :ride:

I say get the best '01 or '02 for the money, throw on a 13 tooth sprocket, some protection, and maybe a small flywheel weight, and hang on. :ride:

• Doughnut

Posted July 09, 2006 - 05:36 PM

Alright thanks, Anyone else got anything to add before I go blow some money? LOL

• Doughnut

Posted July 09, 2006 - 06:40 PM

Only one person knows about good and bad years of 400/426 with 36 people viewing? :ride:

• Junior426

Posted July 09, 2006 - 06:51 PM

He nailed the hammer on the head, theyres nothing left to be said from what I know. I looked into the same subject for several weeks before buying my bike and thats what I found. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Only one person knows about good and bad years of 400/426 with 36 people viewing? :ride:

I always admire a patient man :ride:

Overall, I'd have to agree with GreenKLX. The later 426's are probably your best choice, although the 2000 model is also an excellent ride. The right clutch parts will smooth it right out, and that leaves only the fact that you need to inspect for a loose balancer drive gear key immediately should an unusual rattle develop on the right side of the engine.

They may even make a better woods bike than the YZ450, in spite of being some 12 pounds heavier.

• barch88

Posted July 09, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Didn't the 02 have some transmission problems where it would skip in 4th gear or something? I know I heard something about this happening on a 426, not sure which year, think it was a 02. My buddy used to have a 02 and he said he had that problem thats why he sold it...

Correct me if Im wrong.

• mxrider14

Posted July 09, 2006 - 08:07 PM

spend another 100 or 200 and get a 2003 450.

• glasseye

Posted July 09, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Didn't the 02 have some transmission problems where it would skip in 4th gear or something? I know I heard something about this happening on a 426, not sure which year, think it was a 02. My buddy used to have a 02 and he said he had that problem thats why he sold it...

Correct me if Im wrong.

I don't think that's a common problem, could be wrong. IMO, Yamaha (and all other jap makes) lack the quality control to build consistantly reliable high performance 4-stroke engines. Your odds of getting a reliable one are good, but if you end up with a lemon, it'll cost lots of $$$ and down time.

Flame on if you all feel the need, I'm one who bought a brand new 02 lemon that cost more in maintaimce (parts) than the machine was worth when I sold it 2 years later. Oh, by the way, I've maintaind my own bikes for over 30 years and am quite confident that I do better that the above average dealer mechanic so no need to flame me about my mechanical skills. Problems may have been due to my riding style as I am not a putzer - I ride to stay in the front of the pack. Had to go back to 2-strokes so that the only time I have to do any serious maintaince, like rings and suspension bearings, is when the snow hits.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GreenKLX

Posted July 09, 2006 - 09:01 PM

Its been my experience that there are lemons with everything. (even people) :ride:

• getdrunk

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:05 AM

Correct me if Im wrong.

thats called a bent shift fork. its repairable and can happen to anything

• kid on a 426

Posted July 10, 2006 - 12:09 PM

My 2000 yz426 is incredibly awesome trail bike. I am running a 13/51 gearing and wish first was a tiny bit lower(That can be achieved by wr wide ratio gears) I also have a huge Moose skid plate and unabiker rad guards(the unabiker's look fricken cool but are a pain in the ass to install) a shaved seat and wrap around emgo hand guards. I like the ss valves because they will probably last forever and it makes the bikes feel torquier. The bikes has HUGE amounts of down low power and it would make a great woods bike.

• getdrunk

Posted July 10, 2006 - 12:36 PM

hey does going from a 14 tooth to a 13 tooth make it alot more torqy? cause i did it and havent drove yet.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2006 - 04:07 PM

Correct me if Im wrong.

All 3 years of 426's will occasionally turn up with this issue. The undercut wears off the 4th or 5th gear set, and it starts bouncing out of gear. The pressure of this repeatedly happening bends the fork and makes the matter that much worse. Not nearly all do it, so I sometimes wonder if it has to do with operator error.

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 10, 2006 - 04:20 PM

I bought a new '06 YZ450 (Yeller) which I love.

I rode my '01 426 for 5 years, and it never let me down once. I only had to adjust the valves once in all that time.

I should sell it.

But I won't. :ride:

• kid on a 426

Posted July 10, 2006 - 08:57 PM

All 3 years of 426's will occasionally turn up with this issue. The undercut wears off the 4th or 5th gear set, and it starts bouncing out of gear. The pressure of this repeatedly happening bends the fork and makes the matter that much worse. Not nearly all do it, so I sometimes wonder if it has to do with operator error.

Glad i don't use 4th or 5th

• TexN343

Posted July 11, 2006 - 12:32 PM

If you can handle the weight of the 426 then why not just go for a 04 450wr. I think that is the year they put the magic button on them and the power curve was still radical.

• Doughnut

Posted July 11, 2006 - 09:37 PM

Cuz i cant afford an 04! lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.