Ghost in the BRP...

5 replies to this topic
  • TeamEndo

Posted July 09, 2006 - 10:18 AM

OK, I recently bought an '00 XR650R with approx 1000mi on it from a riding buddy who was forced to sell. It was uncorked but otherwise stock condition. Since then it has a full FMF system, Uni Airfilter, 1.6 rad cap, Critter fix right side peg, IMS folding levers, etc. I also opened up the airbox and now it flat out rips. Problem is after riding it for 15 or twenty minutes, (any speed) it idles high for approx 20 seconds then returns to normal idle. Blipping the throttle or engaging a gear slightly doesn't help. Carburator is stock minus the baffle. The main jet is a 175 (recommended by FMF) the pilot is stock, maybe an "S" version??? Valves are within tolerances, no airleaks that I can find and it starts on first kick. Throttle cables are good, no kinks, and are brand new. I did a search and this seems like a commom problem, but couldn't find one common fix. Most people suggested rejetting, maybe thats what I need to do. I should note the previous owner had the same problems before I added all the mods.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:ride:

• pigryder

Posted July 09, 2006 - 05:24 PM

dude I forget what its called but you got to plug the air valve on the side of the carb where the small half round cover is... help me out here fellas whats that thing called...dam it!!!

• XR_mad

Posted July 10, 2006 - 02:24 AM

air cut off valve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggleXR650

Posted July 10, 2006 - 03:44 AM

ACV, maybe. My bike has a Mikuni TM-40 carb and will do exactly that if the idle is set too high. Bump the idle down a bit, it should go away.

• pigryder

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:30 AM

air cut off valve

thats it, thanks man :ride:

• TeamEndo

Posted July 10, 2006 - 06:29 AM

thanks, i'll give all those a try, one at a time of course. I hadn't heard of the air cut off valve from the BRP tips...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.