put a yz fly wheel on a 04 wr 450?

6 replies to this topic
  • BIG TDM

Posted July 08, 2006 - 07:11 PM

I want to put a lighter fly wheel on my 04 wr 450. can you just get a fly wheel off a yz and put if on there? if so what year and size? and has anyone out there done this, and what kind of results have you seen? :ride: :ride:

• mtrablue

Posted July 08, 2006 - 08:41 PM

the wr and yz have different ignition designs. they don't interchange. do a search but look for something along the line of "lighter flywheel". i think trailtech makes one but it's only a few ounces lighter. are you still using your e-start? if not you can remove the starter clutch from the back of the flywheel and take a few ounces off.

• BIG TDM

Posted July 08, 2006 - 08:47 PM

yes I STILL WANT TO UES E BUTTOM JUST NEED IT TO WIND OP FASTER. AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET RID OF ALOT OF ENG. BREAKING. CHANGER THE GEARING BUT NEED IT TO WIND FASTER.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted July 09, 2006 - 09:26 AM

turn off the caps lock. no reason to yell at me. just trying to help. do the search. if i remember the thread, the only solution was the trail tech flywheel. even that was only about 4 oz. lighter.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 09, 2006 - 01:59 PM

Put in a YZ exhaust cam first. That and the gray wire mod will make it rev out quicker. :ride:

• 06WR450FSM

Posted July 10, 2006 - 10:56 AM

My new Trailtech catalog has a 6-oz lighter one. But that only gets you about half way down to a YZ. Give Trailtech a call and see what they can do for you...

• pkcof

Posted July 10, 2006 - 11:39 PM

if you add a decent pipe, open the airbox, unplug the grey wire and jet it correctly it will spin up plenty fast - it is a WR, not a YZ. You can get it close but it was still built as a WR.
If it had no button, no battery, less flywheel weight, way open airbox, de-restricted pipe, racing timing, racing cams and a close ratio gearbox it would spin up faster still - it would also pretty much be a YZ
Maybe you want one of those?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.