Xr600rn 1992-electrical Gurus:

12 replies to this topic
  • veetwo tls

Posted July 08, 2006 - 06:21 PM

ive got an HONDA XR600RN/630 1992 that has no spark.

HISTORY:
stator is rewound to 300w max i run 200w >100 H/100 L. wiring is all heavy duty & new.

when i kick over the light shows - so ive rulled out the staitor

ive replaced coil & plug.

ive still got no spark from plug - so i suspect its the pulse generator/exciter.(if so 3rd time now-last time 7-8 months ago :ride: )

part link:
part:11
part NO: 173311-001
http://houseofmotorc...it...e~XR600R.a sp

have a multimetre never used one LOL

Q: so how do i test to see if this is faulty.
Q: how do i test the coil to see if i bought a dud.

any other possabilitys

• XR6's_rule

Posted July 08, 2006 - 11:06 PM

I have a 96 XR6 and had the same problem recently and have come across this problem a few times with this bike. Every time, the stator was the cause. You say you have light coming from the headlight when you kick it over, thats means your lighting coil on the stator is good, but it doesnt say anything for the condition of your exciter coil on the stator that supplies the power for the ignition. First, check the resistance of the exciter coil. To do this, locate the wiring connectors where the stator connects into the wiring loom (under the seat). There is five wires- Black/red, green, yellow/white, yellow and pink. Unplug the black/red connector. Using a multimeter set to ohms x100, connect the red probe into the red/black connector coming from the stator. Connect the black probe to any good earth on the bike or green earth wire. With a '91-on model, you should get a reading of around 80-90 ohms )mu new stator read 89 ohms). If you keep getting an infinte reading you have an open circuit which means the exciter coil is blown and needs replacing/rewinding. Another test is to connect the multimeter the same as previously mentioned. Change the multimeter to Volts DC. Get someone to kick the bike over vigorously (fast). You should get readings between 35-60 volts. If you dont, you definitely know the exciter coil on the stator is toast. Do these tests and let me know how you went. Good luck

Mark.

• veetwo tls

Posted July 17, 2006 - 12:40 AM

thank for the info ill get to it tomorrow after work if its not to late .
ill get back to yah :thumbsup:

• veetwo tls

Posted July 17, 2006 - 08:04 PM

ohms: i got 162ohms with metre set on 200ohms

volts dc: i got between 1 volt to 1.6 volts kicking the bike over with decomp in.

i guess this means its toast again :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• XR6's_rule

Posted July 18, 2006 - 02:28 AM

Yeah, volts DC was the wrong range to have the meter on, my mistake. You need to test voltage from the exciter coil in the stator which is an alternating current (AC) or V~ you should get between 35-65V (at the black/red wire) when the bike is kicked over vigorously.

• veetwo tls

Posted July 18, 2006 - 03:00 AM

:thumbsup:

once its fixed its getting sold just spent $10,000aud ground up restore.
had a few issues with 2 of my bikes having dodgy work done here at local shop.

i dont go dirt riding anymore.
all the guys are under the thump/married the wrong one LOL so they had to sell there bikes.
looking at a 610 husky motard or aprilia 5.5 just what ever i get its going to be used as a commute in wet weather (winter here) the RC-51(joey-dunlop rep) & TLs streetfighter dont see the wet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Col105

Posted July 18, 2006 - 04:42 AM

I have same problem with same bike & it's been sitting in a mates workshop for months, will try this out on mine & see if it's the go. I'm in OZ also, in Sth Sydney & ride down far Sth Coast on a DRZ400E now & it's beautiful, Col

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 18, 2006 - 06:46 AM

I have same problem with same bike & it's been sitting in a mates workshop for months, will try this out on mine & see if it's the go. I'm in OZ also, in Sth Sydney & ride down far Sth Coast on a DRZ400E now & it's beautiful, Col

I have seen this problem a few times and for two different reasons. One is a new stator wired wrong, the other is just a simple cause of the exciter coils )pulsor) going bad. Do this test dude described and you will probably find out it is the pulsor coil.

• veetwo tls

Posted July 18, 2006 - 04:15 PM

64v to 65v :ride: :thumbsup:

i checked the coil (its new) good
replaced the plug cap (its new) good
plug (its new) good ? NO SPARK (tryed 3 other plugs the same)
checked wiring connectors (basic wiring setup) good

• XR6's_rule

Posted July 19, 2006 - 03:06 AM

Yes, I've worked on plenty of XR600's with this same problem. The pre-91 models were actually worse in that a larger percentage would have problems-they only ran a half pole stator. It appears that the other ignition components are very reliable, its just the exciter coil in the stator that goes bad.

• veetwo tls

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:56 AM

riding mate came up & done a check to conferm it. exciter is cooked again. 3rd time now :ride:

has anyone came across a fix for this problem or just have to keep replacing all the time ?

thanks for input & help guys :thumbsup:

pics of the pig:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• rmhrc630

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:42 PM

riding mate came up & done a check to conferm it. exciter is cooked again. 3rd time now :ride:

has anyone came across a fix for this problem or just have to keep replacing all the time ?

thanks for input & help guys :thumbsup:

pics of the pig:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

mate that thing must steer like a real pig!!!

those lights are so high up!!

• veetwo tls

Posted July 22, 2006 - 06:39 AM

its surprisingly light in the stearing i actualy enjoy deep sand riding :thumbsup: been across all types of sand from SE beachport through to 42 crossing coorong i do this every january long week end with the 4wd club as scout.
been twice across strezie , twice over big red (simpson) my old mans crossing it again as we speak :ride: could not go due to the electrical brake down.
& just about know every bee keeper track out in ngarkat cons park at KEITH S.A use to live right next to it.
anyway its good for building those shoulders up :cry: i dont even run a stearing damper Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.