2005 WR450 Crankcase Advice: May oil leak from crankcase plug?

4 replies to this topic
  • jgb2000

Posted July 08, 2006 - 05:21 PM

This is what happened: For some strange reason I lost the crankcase plug (item 4 in the image found at http://web.mac.com/j...arza/iweb/WR450) while riding deep inside the woods. At that moment with the engine running there was no oil leaking from the opening so I solved it just by using a coin and duct tape to close it. Of course I didn't returned and kept riding for a couple of more hours. Nothing strange so far.

When back at home on the next day I removed the coin and duct tape and started the engine. Surprisingly enough the engine started leaking oil from the opening (item 4 again on my picture) so I turned off the engine immediately. I am by no means any expert but I thought there was no oil in that section of the crankcase so I opened the other plug (item 2 on the image) and it was also oil wet.

Checked the oil level and apparently I didn't loose any. My question is:

1. Should there be oil inside those plugs or not?
2. Could I have broken the seal between the oil tray and the generator by not stopping ridding?

Help will be much appreciated!

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 08, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Oil is splashing around everywhere in your engine. Just buy a new $2.50 timing window plug! You can plug the hole temporarily until you get the part. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Looks450

Posted July 08, 2006 - 08:51 PM

I have my case off at the moment fixing a hole. The hole leaked all night after the gear lever went through the case so there has to be some oil oil there for some reason.
Cheers
Looks

• jgb2000

Posted July 09, 2006 - 08:04 AM

Sound like there is no problem then. What threw me off is that no oil splashed out of the open plug when the engine was warm, however on the next day after a cold start it did. Weird isn't it?

• Lowedog

Posted July 09, 2006 - 08:13 AM

Sound like there is no problem then. What threw me off is that no oil splashed out of the open plug when the engine was warm, however on the next day after a cold start it did. Weird isn't it?

As your bike sat over night the oil drained to the bottom of the case and around the flywheel. When you started it up the flywheel flung oil around and out the hole. There should be oil there and I doubt there was any harm done.

-Lowedog

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.