what kind of glue for boot sole?

16 replies to this topic
  • Punkinhead

Posted July 08, 2006 - 08:04 AM

The sole of my Alpinestars came off and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar thing happen. If so, what kind of glue did you use to put it back on? Contact cement?

• Matt2105

Posted July 08, 2006 - 08:22 AM

Gorilla Glue. You can pick it up at your local Advance Auto Parts!

• georgestr

Posted July 08, 2006 - 10:47 AM

Maybe epoxy would work well, just clean the contact surfaces very well.

• dbehr624

Posted July 08, 2006 - 10:53 AM

I am having Alpinestars resole my boots. My sole didnt come off though, I SHREDDED it. :ride: :ride:

• RedRider250X

Posted July 08, 2006 - 11:00 AM

Gorilla Glue. You can pick it up at your local Advance Auto Parts!

That stuff is the best :ride:

• Supafreak_711

Posted July 08, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Im putting new soles on my Tech-8's tonight with gorilla glue, Ill let you know how it goes.

• Kev_XR

Posted July 08, 2006 - 12:45 PM

Go find a shoe repair shop. My local one was great.
Fixed boots, chest protectors, etc.
Too bad he moved.

• Goebz

Posted July 08, 2006 - 02:04 PM

SHOE GOO is the best for any part of the boot that flexes. Gorilla Glue is PVC it gets hard and will either make your sole no longer flex or crack off.

If it's a part that does not flex, Gorilla will work fine.

You can get Shoe Goo at most sporting goods stores. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wakerider13

Posted July 08, 2006 - 02:18 PM

shoe goo

• Davet916

Posted July 08, 2006 - 04:05 PM

There's a reason manufacturers stitch around the sole of boots. Take them to a cobbler and have them restitched. While you're there ask him why they don't just glue soles back on boots.

Dave

• MXjunk127

Posted July 08, 2006 - 05:11 PM

shoe goo

shoe goo (glue?) but its REALY good stuff

• UpAllNight

Posted July 08, 2006 - 07:02 PM

SHOE GOO!

Bought at wal-mart in small tubes and CVS in large tubes... located in the shoe section next to the shoe paints and polishes.

Also works great to coat the bottom of the boots with, where the pegs contact them. It is strong enough to keep the pegs from eating through the bottom.

• Supafreak_711

Posted July 08, 2006 - 09:04 PM

I tried the gorilla glue tonight, and it worked pretty well. I used to much and it foamed out of the sides, but was easy to cut off. I have not tested the boots yet, but I expect them to work just fine (although my plan is to just have them last until I can afford a new set of tech-8's)

• Punkinhead

Posted July 11, 2006 - 09:56 PM

Well, I contacted Alpinestars and they said to send the boots in and they'll take care of it. Now that's customer service. I've got two pairs of Alpinestars in the family and I see more in the future. They fit people like me and my son with weird (or should I say different) feet and the company stands behind their products. I have not run across this lately so this is definitely refreshing to see.

By the way, Alpinestars uses some kind of urethane glue with a primer. Not sure where to get the stuff, but it doesn't sound like your normal hardware store type of glue.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind in the future.

• redrider825

Posted March 12, 2007 - 02:44 PM

has anyone acually used shoe goo on their boots and they have held up?

• bloodsugarmx

Posted March 12, 2007 - 03:02 PM

Well, I contacted Alpinestars and they said to send the boots in and they'll take care of it. Now that's customer service. I've got two pairs of Alpinestars in the family and I see more in the future. They fit people like me and my son with weird (or should I say different) feet and the company stands behind their products. I have not run across this lately so this is definitely refreshing to see.

By the way, Alpinestars uses some kind of urethane glue with a primer. Not sure where to get the stuff, but it doesn't sound like your normal hardware store type of glue.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind in the future.

Your lucky, I couldnt get those sorry asses to do anything thing for me and my soles ate completely through on one ride. You could tell they had only been ridden one time in, they were mint and I had stock pegs. Now I got f3 pegs and sg10's that dont show a bit of wear at all, and they have been ridden in... believe me!

• Veccster

Posted March 12, 2007 - 03:56 PM

The peg of my bike ripped the center of my sole out on a pair of hiking boots. I used Shoe Goo and sprinkled cat litter (clay based) on the top layer to add traction and make it a little tougher. I layed it on thick and spread it out so it's waterproof once again.

Shoe Goo's the schnizzle!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Free play rear linkage by Rooster72

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

First ride on the new WR/FX! by Glenn 141

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

New 2015 CRF 450 Opinions by mstngmatt

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  102 replies
Forums
Photo

HELP- Bad head shake on cr 125 by mxracer77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

XR250 Questions/Comparison Thread? by RobbieMac

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.