2004 WR450 to YZ450

6 replies to this topic
  • ksmyth

Posted July 07, 2006 - 08:40 PM

I am thinking of buying some YZ plastic and converting my WR for track purposes. Has anyone put a YZ tank on a WR? will the seat fit? will i need new radiator shrouds? thanks

• 300wby

Posted July 07, 2006 - 11:44 PM

First thing is I would suggest you decide exactly what type of bike you want!
THen go THAT direction....

• DonaldWRF

Posted July 08, 2006 - 03:18 AM

You will need a yz seat as well which will need to have some material cut out in the base beside the electrical relays.

The rear muguard requires some cutting on the left side to match the WR rear subframe.

WR radiator shrouds don't fit the YZ tank therefore you will need a set of those as well.

Buy some plastics or buy a new bike? I would go with the plastics. The WR makes a great track bike as well.

cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ksmyth

Posted July 08, 2006 - 06:57 PM

DonaldWRF, thanks for the info. I have been riding it on the track and enjoying it!

300wby,
GREAT IDEA. i would like a YZ for the track runs where i dont need a headlight, taillight, starter and large tank. i also need WR for riding in the forest and desert where i would like all that. i am guessing you can buy me the extra bike...

• ncmountainman

Posted July 09, 2006 - 06:10 AM

i ended up taking over 20lbs from my 04 wr by yz'ing it after removing the battery you can use the same yr yz airbox and filter assmbly allowing much more flow for a great top end increase,and its also over a lb lighter. when you remove the starter you can replace it with a automotive expandable freeze plug (1 1/8" i think?) after that you can also remove the starter drive gears and clutch from behind the flywheel,which really makes it snap to attn.,just the wiring for the starter and battery weighed a lb! when you rewire ground the system to the frame at the rectifier and turn the fuse into a inline on the + to protect from burning down. my friend bought this bike from me and its been running 2 yrs now like this...so i'd say it works just fine :ride:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 09, 2006 - 07:59 AM

ncmountainman, how much weight did you save?

If you were going to go the other direction,couldn't you take a yz and put the wr tranny in it?

• ncmountainman

Posted July 09, 2006 - 11:00 AM

the starter/batt and associated parts were 13 lbs,airbox 1 lb, yz rear fender is over a lb less,alum bars,lighter sprocket,lighter seat,lighter exhaust,headlight assmbly etc etc.,it was over 20 lbs of crap that came off. before the bike weighed 263 wet w/out gas after i was done it was 244 but i also added 7 lbs of extras,so in reality it was down around 237lbs. this was all weighed on a calibrated double beam scale :ride: oh and at the time i had a wr not a yz so i already had a wr trannie i just turned it into a yz,it still was lacking and my 05 yz filled that gap :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.