426 questions

15 replies to this topic
  • slammmin72

Posted July 07, 2006 - 04:31 PM

i was just offerd to buy a YZF426 from a friend of the family, i was just wondering if they were any problems with the 2001 bikes such as valves, timing chains, and anyhitng thing else that might go wrong and put a damper on the day...that sorta stuff, (i have a YZ250..so im not used to all these extra moving parts :ride: ) thanks for the help

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted July 07, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I have an 01 and have had zero problems in the 1.5 years I have owned it. I have five buddies that I ride with that have YZ426s and everyone is happy. One guy has an 00 and had to replace the clutch, but that problem is fixed on the 01. Another buddy has a YZ250 and he gets a little jealous on hillclimbs, though it doesn't have the high weight that slows the 426 in the tight stuff.

• Numskull

Posted July 07, 2006 - 05:36 PM

Good year, but it is alittle to fast, other than that its a great bike :ride:

• slammmin72

Posted July 07, 2006 - 05:37 PM

thanks, thats what i wanted to hear. i just rode the thing on my street and rode a wheelie from a neighbors house (4 houses down) to my house ....wow, this thing has some serious balls, it is missing a few things such as the shield that covers the eshaust header, the gaurd that goes over the front sprocket, the rear wheel is bent, and im sure it needs some new fork seals and wipers and a couple more odds and ends, maybe nice new set of plastics. if i get the bike, its not necesarily to replace the 250.....but as an alternative to it (like those big hill climbs..lol) thanks again. what do u think a bike like this should go for (from the buyers stand point of course)

• honda_best_789

Posted July 07, 2006 - 06:13 PM

im looking at one up here where i live and its a 2002, its going for $2700 canadian, if u ask me thats extremely cheap for this bike as i've seen 2000 for 3700 and up canadian

• 01 426

Posted July 08, 2006 - 03:46 AM

i got a 426 and i was wonderin if you are suppese to check the oil when cold or hot coz when its cold it says there is no oil in it and when it is hot it says there is too much oil in it :ride:

• byw

Posted July 08, 2006 - 05:23 AM

Hey not to rain on the parade here but I have a 01 426 and it has been the most fustrating bike I have ever owned.It eats plugs like crazy and now won't start after it is hot.Changed coil,now changing cdi and stator.Hope this cures it's appetite.Do a search on the 426 I'm not the only one with issue's not trying to say it is a bad bike just saying some have issue's.I love the power when it runs right .Do your home work first.If the guy you buy it from say's he has had no plug trouble and then hands you a bag full of new spark plugs with 2 different heat ranges and 2 different kinds of plugs run like the wind brother.At least I wish I would have.

• stillsun

Posted July 08, 2006 - 11:50 AM

It could be a jetting issue, I didn't like trying to start my bike when I first got it but once you get the routine down and get the jetting dialed in it's a piece of cake....unless you drop it on it's side and it's down for more than a couple seconds. Then I usually just hold the decompression open and kick through 5 or 6 times then start her back up first time usually.

J

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crfmatt

Posted July 08, 2006 - 02:56 PM

i got a 426 and i was wonderin if you are suppese to check the oil when cold or hot coz when its cold it says there is no oil in it and when it is hot it says there is too much oil in it :ride:

Let it warm up for a couple minutes and then check it.

• Jeremiah

Posted July 08, 2006 - 03:11 PM

Hey not to rain on the parade here but I have a 01 426 and it has been the most fustrating bike I have ever owned.It eats plugs like crazy and now won't start after it is hot.Changed coil,now changing cdi and stator.Hope this cures it's appetite.Do a search on the 426 I'm not the only one with issue's not trying to say it is a bad bike just saying some have issue's.I love the power when it runs right .Do your home work first.If the guy you buy it from say's he has had no plug trouble and then hands you a bag full of new spark plugs with 2 different heat ranges and 2 different kinds of plugs run like the wind brother.At least I wish I would have.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I don't think your situation is indicative of normal 426 ownership. I've got a '00 and it's wonderful. Sure it's a hog, but it's reliable, low-maintenance, and has plenty of power, (i.e. too much power for me). I think they're great bikes. Some day I'll get a new one...but mine is fine right now.

• Crabtree426

Posted July 08, 2006 - 07:11 PM

I have a 2000 and love it. No problems here. (knock on wood) :ride:

• kensum90

Posted July 09, 2006 - 07:42 PM

I have a 2002 that I bought broke down and fixed up. One of the valve adjustment pads came apart and messed up the top end pretty bad. It is fixed now, and other than not being able to get the jetting just right, which is what I am reading from alot of people, it seems like a good bike.

• ircrf450r

Posted July 09, 2006 - 08:36 PM

:ride: go red you will love the handleing and trottle response

• slammmin72

Posted July 09, 2006 - 09:20 PM

lol, my brother just got a super clean 02 CRF 450...(he just came off a 400ex quad...so hes still getting used to it) the honda is a super nice bike, i rode it a few times, and hten this 426 found its way into my garage (literally..i came home from work and htere it was......) so im kinda hooked on the 4 stroke torque, ive got a 00' 250 2 stroke, and hte thing is amazing and ill never get rid of it....but its nice knowing that u can go up just about anything. thanks everyone for their 2 cents, this site really is the best. also 1 more question, it my brother and i were to but a valve shimming kit, would they be useable for both bikes, or are they make and model specific? thanks again

• spinblue

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:36 AM

I have an 01 426 and love the beast. It's my first dirt bike and I got it last summer. It's been trouble free and starts with a couple kicks. I havent had any troubles with it other then getting the crap scared out of me occassionally.

I put the auto-decomp 03 450 exhaust cam in and made it even better.

I really enjoy working on my own bikes so I stay on top of maintenance and I'm sure this helps me enjoy the bike more.

I paid $2300 USD last summer for mine.

Good luck,
Spinblue

• sldietz

Posted July 10, 2006 - 09:21 AM

The 426 is one of the most reliable 4-strokes out there. I think you'll find more posts on how great they are...than stories like yours...sorry to hear about that...sounds like you may have a lemon out of the crop of great bikes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.