Gearbox Issue

8 replies to this topic
  • waynus

Posted July 07, 2006 - 12:55 PM

Bought 2006 WR450 last week and now getting paranoid after reading recent posts re gearboxes.
I knew they were an achilles heel when I bought the bike but thought that I'd be able to baby it.
However on riding on just a little bitumen, there seems to be helluva lot of chain snatch when on/off the throttle.
Do youse reckon that this could be the major contributing factor considering there is no cush drive as on road bikes? :ride:

Wayne

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 07, 2006 - 01:04 PM

The WR 5 speed gearbox is very reliable. I have heard of 5th gear going with excessive high speed riding with desert loads. Dont worry about the chain slap it is a high compression single piston motor so that is unavoidable but is not a refelction of gearbox loading. :ride:

• spick

Posted July 07, 2006 - 02:27 PM

I have a fairly new 06 as well and since I've tightened my chain the slap has gone way down. I think a well aligned chain will solve some of the slap, and 'snap' that your feeling.

• pkcof

Posted July 07, 2006 - 03:40 PM

ok ... tightening the chain is not necessarily a bad thing in itself as long as you don't over-do it. An over-tight chain at 'rest' can be under stress at full compression stroke - eg large whoops or a decent jump. This in turn overloads the countershaft bearing which can cause nasty gearbox problems. A little slap is not a big price to pay for some peace of mind as it reminds you that your chain is not over-tight
just my $0.02 (Australian currency, please allow for the conversion rate)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 07, 2006 - 04:08 PM

The WR 5 speed gearbox is very reliable. I have heard of 5th gear going with excessive high speed riding with desert loads. Dont worry about the chain slap it is a high compression single piston motor so that is unavoidable but is not a refelction of gearbox loading. :ride:

Sure is nice to see Indy in here.......... :ride:

• gregwr450f

Posted July 07, 2006 - 04:37 PM

I have a fairly new 06 as well and since I've tightened my chain the slap has gone way down. I think a well aligned chain will solve some of the slap, and 'snap' that your feeling.

Just dont over do it!

Sit on your bike and feel how tight the chain is and then allow for for jumps,bumps etc, as your back wheel moves up the chain will get even tighter.

• spick

Posted July 07, 2006 - 06:02 PM

Oh yeah of course. A friend of mine and myself did it. I leaned over the seat and grabbed the swing arm, forcing the seat down and the rear wheel up. Once the sprocket and rear axle were aligned, my buddy checked the slack. I forget the recommended allowance doing it this way, but it was in line with the way and measurement described in the manual.

• odonnks

Posted July 07, 2006 - 06:43 PM

Follow the recommendations in the manual.
Take your nylon swingarm slider off, apply some silicone RTV to the bottom(the side that contacts the swingarm), reapply the slider. Wait overnight.
No more chain slap noise. Its still there but you can't hear it...keep the chain within tightness spec.
No Problems.

• waynus

Posted July 08, 2006 - 02:31 PM

That reminds me, a good time to check chain slack is when you've got the shocky out undone to grease linkages, you can easily lift the rear wheel to check for optimum chain tension, bearing in mind that I think you have to allow extra for muddy conditions. :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.